Big 12 and SEC Partner in new bowl game... | Syracusefan.com

Big 12 and SEC Partner in new bowl game...

arbitragegls

All Conference
announcement to be around noon today. This is quite interesting in that the Big 12 and SEC will have the champion in each conference play the other champion. If one or both champions are in the national Top 4 than another team from that conference or both conferences will go to the bowl. It is much like the Rose Bowl with B1g and Pac 12.
Note that this may provide impetus for the ACC to formulate a partnership for the Orange Bowl...but which conference would it do this with.
I believe the Big 12/SEC partnership could be a reason FSU would leave the ACC...another chance for more $$$$$$$$$.

Twitter is blowing up on this one. It's almost as if these media guys are so thirsty for news, they'll jump on anything as a consolidation of power.

The agreement is if they don't make the Final 4, they'll play in a bowl game. That's armageddon for the ACC? An undefeated ACC team will be in the Final 4 no matter what. A league like the Big East won't be able to say the same. To me, that's the definition of a power league in the new world of college football.

announcement to be around noon today. This is quite interesting in that the Big 12 and SEC will have the champion in each conference play the other champion. If one or both champions are in the national Top 4 than another team from that conference or both conferences will go to the bowl. It is much like the Rose Bowl with B1g and Pac 12.
Note that this may provide impetus for the ACC to formulate a partnership for the Orange Bowl...but which conference would it do this with.
I believe the Big 12/SEC partnership could be a reason FSU would leave the ACC...another chance for more $$$$$$$$$.

Sounds like the Sugar Bowl has its answer to the Rose Bowl.

Cheers,
Neil

Would an ACC/ND partnership make sense for both parties?

Not good news... means the ACC is the conf left without a dance partner.

Sounds like the Sugar Bowl has its answer to the Rose Bowl.

Cheers,
Neil

Or it might also end the SEC's tie to the Sugar Bowl. Jerry will certainly bid for Cotton. Fiesta as well. Atlanta would probably try to get involved. Who knows where it will be played.

Here is my take that I did not want to possibly see come to fruition.
1. B1G and PAC 12 have already scheduled football alliance of such including the Rose Bowl
2. Big 12 and SEC are now partnering on a football bowl
the concern is:
3. ACC and B1G in basketball tourney...what happens when the B1G and PAC 12 decide its time to do same in bball as football
4. SEC plays BE in basketball...what happens when SEC and Big 12 decide to make it a basketball tourney
And ND is not who ACC wants bowl game with because ND maybe the saviour of the ACC down the road and will be in the conference.

Based on above scenario, we may be moving to 4 16 team conferences. If this is the case, where does 'Cuse have a chance to land? I for am am not feeling too good about keeping FSU at this point.
...and just like that, the advent of the 4 super conferences are upon us...B1g, Pac 12, SEC and
Big 12...the face of conference football is going to change quickly...what are the teams that fill the spots up to 16 for each of these conferences?
Wonder if the B1G likes 'Cuse more than Rutgirls?

This weakens the accs position with nd. Not great news.

Agree Jake...and it is difficult for me to see any positives from either of these partnerships insofar as the ACC and 'Cuse is concerned.

Here is my take that I did not want to possibly see come to fruition.
1. B1G and PAC 12 have already scheduled football alliance of such including the Rose Bowl
2. Big 12 and SEC are now partnering on a football bowl
the concern is:
3. ACC and B1G in basketball tourney...what happens when the B1G and PAC 12 decide its time to do same in bball as football
4. SEC plays BE in basketball...what happens when SEC and Big 12 decide to make it a basketball tourney
And ND is not who ACC wants bowl game with because ND maybe the saviour of the ACC down the road and will be in the conference.

Based on above scenario, we may be moving to 4 16 team conferences. If this is the case, where does 'Cuse have a chance to land? I for am am not feeling too good about keeping FSU at this point.
...and just like that, the advent of the 4 super conferences are upon us...B1g, Pac 12, SEC and
Big 12...the face of conference football is going to change quickly...what are the teams that fill the spots up to 16 for each of these conferences?
Wonder if the B1G likes 'Cuse more than Rutgirls?

Even if the conferences did go to four 16 team super-conferences there would be 64 spots. Take all the major conferences (No BIG EAST) and Notre Dame and that is 63 teams. Hypothetically that leaves 1 spot to fill, Syracuse is a National brand and has a huge television market with the NYC area. There is no way that Syracuse would be left out of a Super-Conference no matter how it works out.

Well this bowl game will almost never get the top SEC team since they'll likely be in the top 4 every year.

The ACC could sign the same type of bowl tie ins with the B1G and the SEC for their #2 or #3 teams and play bowls in DC or NYC vs B1G and in Atlanta vs SEC.

I don't really agree, but it depends on how ND thinks of itself. I always assume ND thinks of itself as the team that the kind of school that makes the league a power league if they ever join for football. Not the league that needs to go where the power seems to be. So in that regard, they would strike me as the type that would go to the league they gives them the easier path to the title.

Although, another reason I don't agree, is that I think Townie is right. The moment that ND decides to join a conference, the Big 10 is going to be the winner.

I think people overthink this stuff. As the BCS "reconfigures" we're clearly going back to the model that persisted pre-BCS/Bowl Alliance, when conferences alligned in various ways with the major bowls. Hard to imagine the ACC won't strike a formal deal with the Orange Bowl to send it's champ there, probably to play a conference #2 from the SEC or B12 (remember, it was the Big 8 that had a deal with the Orange Bowl for ~30 years, not the ACC). And of course a top 4 ACC conference winner gets into the little dance, anyway.

I'm not sweating it. A, say, #6, 10-2 Florida State/VaTech/Miami/Syracuse ;) vs. #8 10-2 Arkansas/Georgia/Florida/Auburn/Oklahoma game would be plenty attractive.

Ok, so the ACC takes the 2nd or 3rd ranked team from the PAC-10/B10/SEC or ND. I'll take that any and every day over the 2nd place B12 team.

Even if the conferences did go to four 16 team super-conferences there would be 64 spots. Take all the major conferences (No BIG EAST) and Notre Dame and that is 63 teams. Hypothetically that leaves 1 spot to fill, Syracuse is a National brand and has a huge television market with the NYC area. There is no way that Syracuse would be left out of a Super-Conference no matter how it works out.
The thing that bothers me when thinking about scenarios where some schools are excluded from four 16-team conferences is who's to say that schools like Mississippi State, Washington State, Iowa State, etc. are automatically included simply because of their current conference affiliation?

No, that is not happening.

I wouldn't be so quick to say that. It may not be 4x16 like some have theorized for a decade now (even Vince Dooley talked about it 2 decades ago) and could be 5x14 or 5x15 (or a mix), but super conferences is where this is headed towards for all sports led by football. After that, whether it is 2 years, 3 years, 5 or longer, those schools will break away from the NCAA unless they get every dime they want and feel they deserve.

I think people overthink this stuff. As the BCS "reconfigures" we're clearly going back to the model that persisted pre-BCS/Bowl Alliance, when conferences alligned in various ways with the major bowls. Hard to imagine the ACC won't strike a formal deal with the Orange Bowl to send it's champ there, probably to play a conference #2 from the SEC or B12 (remember, it was the Big 8 that had a deal with the Orange Bowl for ~30 years, not the ACC). And of course a top 4 ACC conference winner gets into the little dance, anyway.

I'm not sweating it. A, say, #6, 10-2 Florida State/VaTech/Miami/Syracuse ;) vs. #8 10-2 Arkansas/Georgia/Florida/Auburn/Oklahoma game would be plenty attractive.

Exactly Scooch.

Everybody and their theories. We're talking a partnership here between the conference's #2’s or at worst a #1 vs #2. Big Deal.

The ACC #1 or #2 will still be playing in the Orange bowl against a brand name team; and be making a lot of money doing it.

I wouldn't be so quick to say that. It may not be 4x16 like some have theorized for a decade now (even Vince Dooley talked about it 2 decades ago) and could be 5x14 or 5x15 (or a mix), but super conferences is where this is headed towards for all sports led by football. After that, whether it is 2 years, 3 years, 5 or longer, those schools will break away from the NCAA unless they get every dime they want and feel they deserve.

Well we're kinda already there, no? I mean as we stand today we have:

SEC = 14
ACC = 14
Big Ten = 12
Pac-12 = 12
Big XII = 10

So right now there are 62 teams in power 5 conferences. I suspect the Big XII will get back to 12 soon enough. How is that much different than a 16X4 setup?

We've already seen college sports "organically" align into a power-type setup. Only thing left is the potential split from the NCAA. I still think that's unlikely, if only because the NCAA, while awful, provides tremendous legislative cover. Form a pro-style college league and the lawsuits and Congressional hearings will literally never end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom