Big 12 Defense | Syracusefan.com

Big 12 Defense

Fjoinkay

Starter
Oklahoma is tied for LAST PLACE in the Big 12 with Texas Tech for total yards allowed per game. That's pretty bad when you see how the other teams stack up on D. Per ESPN Stats:

#28 TCU
#39 Iowa State
#63 Texas
#73 Kansas State
#75 West Virginia

#79 Baylor
#81 Kansas
#98 Oklahoma State
#110 Texas Tech
#111 Oklahoma (tied with Texas Tech).

That's 2 Big 12 teams in the Top 50, or 3 teams in the Top 70. Being tied for last place for defense in that conference is horrible. If you look at the B1G it has 6 teams in the Top 50 for D, or 9 teams in the Top 70.

When you compare Ohio State's offense to Oklahoma's offense in the national rankings Oklahoma's offense is #1 in total yards and Ohio State's offense if #2. And by the way, Clemson's offense is #3 and Alabama is #4. If any of those teams, Ohio State, Clemson or Alabama played in the Big 12, their offense against those Big 12 defenses would be #1 in the country. Oklahoma outscores those other 3 teams, but only because their schedule is full of bad defensive teams.

The question I have is how did this committee keep Oklahoma at #6 these past several weeks when it's defense has been giving up over over 50 points a game the past 6 weeks while at the same time moving Ohio State down to #10? If anything the committee should have treated Oklahoma and Ohio State the same. Each has one loss and they are both really, really good on offense while OSU's defense is disappointing and Oklahoma's is awful. If one team was ranked above LSU who was anchored at #7 for a few weeks with 2 losses, then the other team should have been ranked above LSU or vice versa. What we saw instead was that the committee valued Oklahoma more even though their body of work is nothing to write home about.

Meanwhile, this week Florida moves up 2 spots after beating a really bad Florida State team while Northwestern moves down 2 spots after beating a really bad Illinois team.

The ACC ends up with 2 teams in the CFP Top 25: Clemson and SU!!

Remember when the initial CFP rankings came out a few weeks ago and the ACC had 5 teams in the Top 25? That made no sense, and time did tell, although the committee ranked any ACC team it could along the way and then some. Virginia was #25 in the initial CFP poll and then they lost 3 out of their last 4 games. Way to go committee!!

Last edited:
Big 12 defense, commonly known as the loch ness monster

What defense

The thread title is an oxymoron

yards per game does not account for pace. Look at yards per play or some other rate adjusted metric for a more accurate picture of quality. Even that doesn't account for differences in conference. FWIW, OSU gave up 28 to TCU and Oklahoma gave up 27.

OSU's defensive numbers are skewed by facing just putrid offenses in Rutgers, Michigan St., and Tulane (gave up 3, 6, and 6 - though to be fair Tulane is more middling than putrid).

Oklahoma's only loss is to a ranked Texas team on a last second field goal, and they have a chance to avenge that loss. OSU got crushed by a 6-6 Purdue team. I have no problem with Oklahoma being ahead of OSU. If Oklahoma beats Texas, they deserve to be in.

Out of curiosity, what are the defenses (OU, WVU) ranked when adjusted for number of plays? Like SU, the defense looks less effective because of a fast and furious offense with a high number of plays. Not that I expect a lot of improvement, but I would expect possibly breaking the double digit barrier.

I realize that defense is optional in the Big 12, and it appears that TCU may be the only team that exercised the option, but I believe SU should be given an adjustment for the number of plays, so I do likewise for other teams.

but bad teams do stop these b12 teams multiple times a yr

WV had 14 and 150 yds vs ISU
OK st had 24 and 270 vs TCU and 12 and 300 vs KSU and 17 for 370 vs TT
TT had 6 for 170 vs KSU, 17 for 350 vs TCU, 27 vs Miss, 24 for 350 vs Baylor

the one common thing is no one really slowed down Ok.

Ohio state had brain farts on defense and offense in different games.. at least Ok only blew up in one direction all yr and was consistent in the other.

Oklahoma is tied for LAST PLACE in the Big 12 with Texas Tech for total yards allowed per game. That's pretty bad when you see how the other teams stack up on D. Per ESPN Stats:

#28 TCU
#39 Iowa State
#63 Texas
#73 Kansas State
#75 West Virginia

#79 Baylor
#81 Kansas
#98 Oklahoma State
#110 Texas Tech
#111 Oklahoma (tied with Texas Tech).

That's 2 Big 12 teams in the Top 50, or 3 teams in the Top 70. Being tied for last place for defense in that conference is horrible. If you look at the B1G it has 6 teams in the Top 50 for D, or 9 teams in the Top 70.

When you compare Ohio State's offense to Oklahoma's offense in the national rankings Oklahoma's offense is #1 in total yards and Ohio State's offense if #2. And by the way, Clemson's offense is #3 and Alabama is #4. If any of those teams, Ohio State, Clemson or Alabama played in the Big 12, their offense against those Big 12 defenses would be #1 in the country. Oklahoma outscores those other 3 teams, but only because their schedule is full of bad defensive teams.

The question I have is how did this committee keep Oklahoma at #6 these past several weeks when it's defense has been giving up over over 50 points a game the past 6 weeks while at the same time moving Ohio State down to #10? If anything the committee should have treated Oklahoma and Ohio State the same. Each has one loss and they are both really, really good on offense while OSU's defense is disappointing and Oklahoma's is awful. If one team was ranked above LSU who was anchored at #7 for a few weeks with 2 losses, then the other team should have been ranked above LSU or vice versa. What we saw instead was that the committee valued Oklahoma more even though their body of work is nothing to write home about.

Meanwhile, this week Florida moves up 2 spots after beating a really bad Florida State team while Northwestern moves down 2 spots after beating a really bad Illinois team.

The ACC ends up with 2 teams in the CFP Top 25: Clemson and SU!!

Remember when the initial CFP rankings came out a few weeks ago and the ACC had 5 teams in the Top 25? That made no sense, and time did tell, although the committee ranked any ACC team it could along the way and then some. Virginia was #25 in the initial CFP poll and then they lost 3 out of their last 4 games. Way to go committee!!

AMEN, if Bama beats UGA, it should be simple...#1Bama vs #4 OSU and #2 Clemson vs #3 ND. a great and diverse 4...

Nobody stops Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, West Virginia, Texas tech. It's more about the offenses

SU stopped WVa in the Pinstripe Bowl. Texas Tech just fired it's coach.

I think Ohio State, Clemson and Alabama with their offenses would be better than Oklahoma this season if they played Oklahoma's schedule against those defenses.

Losing by 29 to a 6-6 team is disqualifying. If they lost by even 14 I wouldn’t care, but 29 points is just awful. OSU shouldn’t be sniffing the playoff.

One week ago Florida was #11 and Penn State was #12.

This week Florida moves up 2 spots after beating a bad Florida State team. Penn State dominated a Maryland team that beat Texas, and Penn State remains at #12 in the poll. So, this week it's Florida at #9 and Penn State remaining at #12.

Losing by 29 to a 6-6 team is disqualifying. If they lost by even 14 I wouldn’t care, but 29 points is just awful. OSU shouldn’t be sniffing the playoff.

I am inclined to agree with that line of thinking but there are always exceptions, and the Big 12 this season was a disaster. Iowa State being ranked is debatable. They lost to Iowa, and Iowa finished with one more win. Iowa is not ranked, but Iowa State is? This committee is the committee to end all committees. The Big 12 teams in the #5 slot through #10 are all 6 wins or less.

I do think the Big 12 will be better next year with a strong team in Texas, and I think Baylor will be stronger and probably TCU,

Counting the conference championships towards playoff selections is BS. Georgia is one of the 4 best. But they’ll be penalized because they have to play Alabama while OSU plays Northwestern. The conference championships are for money. Leave it at that and pick the 4 playoff teams after the regular season.

OSU isn’t one of the 4 best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom