Big 12 votes to equally share tier 1 & 2 TV revenue | Syracusefan.com

Big 12 votes to equally share tier 1 & 2 TV revenue

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
in an effort to keep Missouri. Missouri has an offer from the SEC, apparently, for the 14th spot ahead of WVU. Missouri has to balance geography and economics. Still, Texas' Longhorn Network (already carried on FIOS, by the way ...), is called "tier 3" income.

If Texas gets a full share of the conference's TV football revenue, but gets broadcast rights for 1/2 of their conference games, how is this fair? Answer: it's not. The Big 12 should either get blackout rights vs. Longhorn Network for conference games, or Texas should only get a 1/2 share of league football revenues, since they keep their own money generated from the broadcast of home games.

Still, it's probably tough for Missouri to make the move to the SEC. They decide on Tuesday. On Wednesday expect WVU to get the consolation call and grab it for SEC spot #14.

http://blog.syracuse.com/sports/2011/10/big_12_agrees_on_revenue_shari.html

Once WVU goes, that's the end of the Big East for football, and the other schools that get Big 12 invites go - maybe only Louisville to go with BYU and TCU to bring them to 12. Cinci might be left out, leaving the Big East with 4 remaining football schools - them, Rutgers, UConn and USF.

Don't most conferences allow schools to keep Tier 3 revenue?

I don't believe SU shares what we get for our Time Warner Sports deal, nor our SNY deal.

I still think Mizzou jumps. They like Nebraska and TAMU, have had enough of the Deloss Dodd show.

BYU, WVU, The Ville and TCU to Big Bevo

Don't most conferences allow schools to keep Tier 3 revenue?

I don't believe SU shares what we get for our Time Warner Sports deal, nor our SNY deal.

Most schools' tier 3 revenue is not an ESPN-sponsored 24 hour cable network.

That's like Notre Dame calling their NBC contract "tier 3".

I still think Mizzou jumps. They like Nebraska and TAMU, have had enough of the Deloss Dodd show.

BYU, WVU, The Ville and TCU to Big Bevo

I think Missouri might regret it, but you're right, if they go, WVU gets their place in the Big 12.

wow looks like Rutgers and UCONN are at least for now with this scenario..

in an effort to keep Missouri. Missouri has an offer from the SEC, apparently, for the 14th spot ahead of WVU. Missouri has to balance geography and economics. Still, Texas' Longhorn Network (already carried on FIOS, by the way ...), is called "tier 3" income.

If Texas gets a full share of the conference's TV football revenue, but gets broadcast rights for 1/2 of their conference games, how is this fair? Answer: it's not. The Big 12 should either get blackout rights vs. Longhorn Network for conference games, or Texas should only get a 1/2 share of league football revenues, since they keep their own money generated from the broadcast of home games.

Still, it's probably tough for Missouri to make the move to the SEC. They decide on Tuesday. On Wednesday expect WVU to get the consolation call and grab it for SEC spot #14.

http://blog.syracuse.com/sports/2011/10/big_12_agrees_on_revenue_shari.html

Once WVU goes, that's the end of the Big East for football, and the other schools that get Big 12 invites go - maybe only Louisville to go with BYU and TCU to bring them to 12. Cinci might be left out, leaving the Big East with 4 remaining football schools - them, Rutgers, UConn and USF.

How can it be tough for Mizzou to go? What am I missing? They were all but giving up their first born to go to the B10 and the B12 is hardly a pillar of stability these days. I understand the geography part, but going to the SEC stabilizes everything for Missourir for a long time

How can it be tough for Mizzou to go? What am I missing? They were all but giving up their first born to go to the B10 and the B12 is hardly a pillar of stability these days. I understand the geography part, but going to the SEC stabilizes everything for Missourir for a long time
I understand the stability part, Dick, and they would increase their revenues, as well. But I just get a sense that Missouri sees the SEC schools as beneath them academically, kind of like how everyone looks at West Virginia - even the SEC schools seem to have second thoughts about the Neers. Missouri may also fear the loss of natural rivalries like Kansas, K State, Iowa State, etc. Who are their rivals going to be in the SEC? Arkansas? TCU?

I agree that Missouri was dying to get into the Big 10 - it was a better fit for them. Looking at the SEC, they probably are looking at it with some regret, wondering what "might have been" if they had landed that Big 10 spot that they all really want. They might think that the Big 10 isn't done, and they may still get one more chance when the Big 10 next expands. That might keep them on the sidelines (i.e. in the Big IX) for now, much like UConn and other Big East schools are hanging around until a better offer turns up.

Mizzou may still want to hold out hope of joining the B1G eventually. That is by far their preferred destination. Accepting the SEC bid ends that possibility.