Big 12's split into divisions on hold as NCAA proposal aims to remove conference title game restrictions | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Big 12's split into divisions on hold as NCAA proposal aims to remove conference title game restrictions

I don't believe that a slightly larger SEC (as an entity unto itself) will be able to garner as much national interest. Why would I, as a fan, want to continue to watch those schools ...so disconnected from me in space and interests ...and cheer for their "national" championships?

The question is, "who will northern fans and alumni cheer for?" Will an exclusive southern/SEC league get the eyeballs from the Midwest, west, and north?

I don't know. I do know that eyeballs from the Northeast were always skewed towards ND and Penn St. They were the big shows in town.

My guess is they'll remain attractions in whatever league they descend upon. I don't think ND will go the full minor league route. I think our ND posters indicated they won't throw the baby out with the bath water in terms of downgrading football but I can't see a scenario where ND football won't have an academic component to it.

I think ultimately the football needs to look at the entire universe as NFL and AFL. The AFL being the non SEC schools. The NFL being the SEC. At some point they will have to divorce to ultimately see how it exists and then decide if there is a resumption of play down the road once this is digested

Why would any school go full minor league route? It's not like the SEC schools will have to try very hard to keep some illusion of academics. Heck, that's practically the paradigm currently in place at some schools.

This simultaneously results in the most $$$ earned and the least political pushback and so it is the most Likely scenerio.

Why would the SEC stop at 16? How can the B1G get to 16? I can see them going well past that but not 16 itself. Why would the P12 add 4 unworthy schools? If 3 of the 4 conferences have zero incentive to be at 16, it will not happen.

I think you are more likely to see 2 x 24 and 2 x 12. Also this is assuming that there isn't a semi pro and academic split. Then all bets are off. No matter what happens at the very least I hope the Top 75 or so schools are no longer in the same division as the bottom 50 teams. if that means making FBS into 3 divisions then so be it.

Why would the SEC stop at 16?

The only reason I can figure is if they determine there's no one that moves the needle enough on additional TV dollars to split and keep each league member whole.

They stopped at Texas and Oklahoma last round when they easily could have grabbed Okie State or anyone else from the Big 12.

Now that academics seem to be completely meaningless in this equation, maybe they buy out Vandy and make a run at Clemson as the replacement.

Who else is there if the B1G teams are untouchable and ND isn't interested? Grab USC as a total outlier?

It would behoove FSU and Miami to get their ***t together quickly.

The only reason I can figure is if they determine there's no one that moves the needle enough on additional TV dollars to split and keep each league member whole.

They stopped at Texas and Oklahoma last round when they easily could have grabbed Okie State or anyone else from the Big 12.

Now that academics seem to be completely meaningless in this equation, maybe they buy out Vandy and make a run at Clemson as the replacement.

Who else is there if the B1G teams are untouchable and ND isn't interested? Grab USC as a total outlier?

If the SEC wants to keep the B1G out of the South then they should try to get an agreement with current members that every viable state has 2 teams. If they can get FSU and Clemson then UNC is forced.

FL- Florida and FSU
GA- UGA and GA Tech
SC- South Carolina and Clemson
NC- UNC and NC State
VA- VA Tech and UVA
TN- Tennessee and Vandy
KY- Kentucky and Louisville
AL- Bama and Auburn
MS- Ole Miss and Miss State
TX- Texas and A&M
OK- Oklahoma and Okie State
KS- Kansas and K State
MO- Mizzou
AR- Arkansas
LA- LSU
WV- West Virginia

That gives the SEC 28 teams and complete control of the South while also killing the ACC and B12. Heck the B1G could get to 28 too by adding what's left from the ACC, B12, and P12.

If there is a semi pro split then none of this happens. But if the P5 schools all stay in the same division, I do not see how the ACC, B12, or P12 survive. IMO the question is who grabs FSU and Clemson first, the SEC or the B1G.

If the SEC wants to keep the B1G out of the South then they should try to get an agreement with current members that every viable state has 2 teams. If they can get FSU and Clemson then UNC is forced.

FL- Florida and FSU
GA- UGA and GA Tech
SC- South Carolina and Clemson
NC- UNC and NC State
VA- VA Tech and UVA
TN- Tennessee and Vandy
KY- Kentucky and Louisville
AL- Bama and Auburn
MS- Ole Miss and Miss State
TX- Texas and A&M
OK- Oklahoma and Okie State
KS- Kansas and K State
MO- Mizzou
AR- Arkansas
LA- LSU
WV- West Virginia

That gives the SEC 28 teams and complete control of the South while also killing the ACC and B12. Heck the B1G could get to 28 too by adding what's left from the ACC, B12, and P12.

If there is a semi pro split then none of this happens. But if the P5 schools all stay in the same division, I do not see how the ACC, B12, or P12 survive. IMO the question is who grabs FSU and Clemson first, the SEC or the B1G.

I think they'd take Miami, and let West Virginia die in this scenario.

It would be like a game of Risk playing out before our very eyes.

I think both the SEC and BT have leadership that is insatiably greedy. Each probably would expand to 24 or maybe even 30 in order to share a monopoly and rake in all the money.

I also think that something that isa hindrance to those desires is that each wants to keep basketball and baseball as profitable as now and preferably to make each worth more to TV. They know they will hurt, not improve, the value of both basketball and baseball if they reduce those post-seasons to less than 64. That means that they need a 'break away' of at least 80 schools.

That means they need all D1A football leagues plus the BE and perhaps a few more (A-10, WCC, MVC?).

I think both the SEC and BT have leadership that is insatiably greedy. Each probably would expand to 24 or maybe even 30 in order to share a monopoly and rake in all the money.

I also think that something that isa hindrance to those desires is that each wants to keep basketball and baseball as profitable as now and preferably to make each worth more to TV. They know they will hurt, not improve, the value of both basketball and baseball if they reduce those post-seasons to less than 64. That means that they need a 'break away' of at least 80 schools.

That means they need all D1A football leagues plus the BE and perhaps a few more (A-10, WCC, MVC?).
SEC adds 7 ACC + ND (24 teams)
BIG adds 9 PAC + KU (24 teams)

ACC/B12 merge and adds remaining 3 PAC plus Memohis, USF, Boise, SDSU, CSU - split East and West teams

SEC adds 7 ACC + ND (24 teams)
BIG adds 9 PAC + KU (24 teams)

ACC/B12 merge and adds remaining 3 PAC plus Memohis, USF, Boise, SDSU, CSU - split East and West teams

Well, we're on the outside looking in in this scenario, part of the mongrel conference. Should we even do the exercise to figure out who would be the Left Overs?

SEC + 7 ACC would be
Clemson, Fla State, Miami, Louisville, Georgia Tech, NC State and Va Tech, from a purely football and regional perspective

Big 10 + 9 PAC teams + Kansas
USC, UCLA, Oregon, Arizona, Washington, Cal, Stanford, Colorado, Utah

What's left?

ACC: Syracuse, Pitt, BC, UVA, UNC, Duke, Wake Forest

Big 12: Baylor, West Virginia, TCU, Okla State, Iowa State, Kansas State

Pac 12: Ariz State, Wash State, Oregon State

Independents: Notre Dame, Army, Navy, BYU (?)

G-5 Best of the Rest (Football): Cinci, Memphis, Houston (American); Boise State, Air Force, Hawaii, UNLV, San Diego State, Colorado State, New Mexico, Wyoming (Mountain West); and Marshall (Sunbelt).

So that's 32 viable teams among the Left Overs. If this becomes the third national affiliation of teams for the Football Championship, do we make the top 24 of the remaining teams? And would the SEC eject Vanderbilt?

You might create a super basketball conference out of this group (being selective to only say 16 teams, and leave the others to pursue football membership), like the Big East has done. But the money will be a small fraction of what we currently earn in the ACC.

I certainly hope not, but this "rampant capitalism" that has suddenly come to the talent acquisition side of college sports may leave us behind.

Well, we're on the outside looking in in this scenario, part of the mongrel conference. Should we even do the exercise to figure out who would be the Left Overs?

SEC + 7 ACC would be
Clemson, Fla State, Miami, Louisville, Georgia Tech, NC State and Va Tech, from a purely football and regional perspective

What's left?

G-5 Best of the Rest (Football): Cinci, Memphis, Houston (American); Boise State, Air Force, Hawaii, UNLV, San Diego State, Colorado State, New Mexico, Wyoming (Mountain West); and Marshall (Sunbelt).

So that's 32 viable teams among the Left Overs. If this becomes the third national affiliation of teams for the Football Championship, do we make the top 24 of the remaining teams? And would the SEC eject Vanderbilt?

You might create a super basketball conference out of this group (being selective to only say 16 teams, and leave the others to pursue football membership), like the Big East has done. But the money will be a small fraction of what we currently earn in the ACC.

I certainly hope not, but this "rampant capitalism" that has suddenly come to the talent acquisition side of college sports may leave us behind.
The 7 i have going from the ACC are VT UNC UL CLEMSON GT FSU MIAMI

SEC + 7 ACC would be

What's left?

BYU is joining the Big XII when Texas and Oklahoma leave.