Big Difference ... | Syracusefan.com

Big Difference ...

TheOrangeBuddha

Scout Team
The big difference between this offense and years past is the ability of our tackles to pass block. The most encouraging aspect offensively from the Pitt game was Hickey's ability to plug in at the right tackle position and continue his high level of play. I'd expect Pugh to play better than he did versus Pitt (a game in which he played well, but as expected, showed rust).

Unlike years past the SU offense does not need to game plan for immediate help for its tackles against mediocre defenses.

Now the key is getting Nassib to trust his protection (assuming the interior offensive line allows Ryan to step up into the pocket) (as I indicated postgame, I thought Nassib left the pocket a bit early against Pitt and should've allowed his receivers a bit more time to come open [don't know if the WR's could've done so - tough to see on TV]).

The key to Rutgers game will be spreading their defense out, taking advantage of Rutgers linebackers' tendency to over pursue and our WR's breaking one tackle to make Rutgers pay for blitzing and/or being out of position when faking a blitz.

As for the defense, I am VERY concerned about our ability to handle their big, athletic receivers. Really hope Rutgers attempts to run the ball ...

The Syracuse defense is in an interesting position against the Rutgers offense.

We don't know if Shamarko can play yet, which puts a dent in our run defense. But Reddish will hopefully be healthy enough to play, which can only help our pass defense.

I really hope Syracuse blitzes Nova like crazy. It seems like that's the best way to shut down their offense.

there were several plays against Pitt where they rushed 3 and the tackles took the DE way past the QB and Nassib had a bunch of time and didnt let the play develop.. running for 2-3 yds isnt worth it to me he would be better off trying to hold the ball and let the WR work

The Syracuse defense is in an interesting position against the Rutgers offense.

We don't know if Shamarko can play yet, which puts a dent in our run defense. But Reddish will hopefully be healthy enough to play, which can only help our pass defense.

I really hope Syracuse blitzes Nova like crazy. It seems like that's the best way to shut down their offense.

I'd like to see the front four get in their backfield without blitzing. I give Nova credit, he breaks tackles, keeps his head up and makes plays so SU has to either make the tackle or force him to throw into coverage.

there were several plays against Pitt where they rushed 3 and the tackles took the DE way past the QB and Nassib had a bunch of time and didnt let the play develop.. running for 2-3 yds isnt worth it to me he would be better off trying to hold the ball and let the WR work

Those are the plays that I remember as well ... when the defense is only rushing three ... take the extra time your line is giving you and allow your WR's to find a hole somewhere. Maybe move laterally, but I'd prefer he simply stay in the pocket if he has one - and he had a good one on several occasions last Friday.

Another byproduct of having competent to good tackles is that you can send out the maximum number of eligible receivers on many more plays than we have in the past. This should help us against max pressure teams like Rutgers.

Those are the plays that I remember as well ... when the defense is only rushing three ... take the extra time your line is giving you and allow your WR's to find a hole somewhere. Maybe move laterally, but I'd prefer he simply stay in the pocket if he has one - and he had a good one on several occasions last Friday.

Another byproduct of having competent to good tackles is that you can send out the maximum number of eligible receivers on many more plays than we have in the past. This should help us against max pressure teams like Rutgers.

old habits are hard to break. part of the problem with spending years unloading short passes as fast as possible and never throwing downfield.

old habits are hard to break. part of the problem with spending years unloading short passes as fast as possible and never throwing downfield.

We threw deep quite a bit. We just never completed one. That's the habit I keep hoping is easier to break. Looked better early on. The deep pass to West last week showed how much West isn't a deep threat. DB had no trouble staying with him. Sales looks slow as well. Still does his thing and gets open. But too many possession guys, and no burners, will eventually choke the offense, if it hasn't already.

We threw deep quite a bit. We just never completed one. That's the habit I keep hoping is easier to break. Looked better early on. The deep pass to West last week showed how much West isn't a deep threat. DB had no trouble staying with him. Sales looks slow as well. Still does his thing and gets open. But too many possession guys, and no burners, will eventually choke the offense, if it hasn't already.
Exactly! Lemon, Sales and West are very similar in their limitations. Clark and Kobena are the only true burners that have played to date. At 159 lbs, Clark can be man handled at the line of scrimmage and Kobena has questionable hands.

What ever happened to Hale? Good size and very good speed.

I agree with this. IMO, there has been a change in the way Nassib reacts in the pocket in recent weeks. It looks as though he was told that from this point forward, if you feel pressure and sees some daylight, make a run for it and try and salvage some yards.

Up until recently, it was rare when Nassib would run from the pocket. He would hang in there waiting for someone to get open for a long time (and often take a sack as a result).

I think he has overreacted to the freedom to run and it has hurt his effectiveness. We are running 3 or 4 WRs out there on almost every play these days; there should be someone open eventually.

In my opinion, when pressure comes these days, he misses throwing the ball short to guys like Bailey and Provo, who were usually near the LOS and relatively easy to get the ball to when the primary receiver is covered. Adjusting to finding 2nd and 3rd targets who are running downfield looks like it has been a challenge for him. Doesn't help that they are usually relatively well covered as well.

I don't see the WRs realizing Nassib is in trouble, breaking off their patterns and heading back to him to help him out either.

This shouldn't be that difficult to fix.

I would like to see us break out some play action passes. Throw in some fakes to the RB with a pass to the TE, or WR slants, or QB bootlegs. Get the RU LBs moving in the wrong direction. They are a D that is notorious for over pursuing.

I would also like to see us use a lot more motion and shifts to confuse their D. Too often we just line up and allow teams to defend us. That needs to change.

In addition I would like to see us go no huddle instead of hurry up. Get to the LOS quickly and then call a play from the sideline once we see their D alignment. Going to large signs from the sideline eliminates the crowd noise issues we had vs Minny.

I agree with this. IMO, there has been a change in the way Nassib reacts in the pocket in recent weeks. It looks as though he was told that from this point forward, if you feel pressure and sees some daylight, make a run for it and try and salvage some yards.

Up until recently, it was rare when Nassib would run from the pocket. He would hang in there waiting for someone to get open for a long time (and often take a sack as a result).

I think he has overreacted to the freedom to run and it has hurt his effectiveness. We are running 3 or 4 WRs out there on almost every play these days; there should be someone open eventually.

In my opinion, when pressure comes these days, he misses throwing the ball short to guys like Bailey and Provo, who were usually near the LOS and relatively easy to get the ball to when the primary receiver is covered. Adjusting to finding 2nd and 3rd targets who are running downfield looks like it has been a challenge for him. Doesn't help that they are usually relatively well covered as well.

I don't see the WRs realizing Nassib is in trouble, breaking off their patterns and heading back to him to help him out either.

On the second sack against Pitt I thought Pugh did a great job driving #97 past Nassib in the pocket. It appeared on TV that Nassib had time and space to operate in the pocket, but it didn't work out that way. I think Ryan is learning how to make those decisions about how long to stay in the pocket before he tucks and runs. Early in the game I thought he just wasn't used to having better protection. And later in the game he made one or two good decisions about when to run and picked up a key first down on the last drive.

Watching the Pats the other day and seeing Gronk line up at RB and go in motion and receive a pass out in space I was thinking I would love to see AB go in motion and run that play.

I HOPE Rutgers games plans for the possibility that Nassib will tuck and run. It can only help our passing game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom