Big East Basketball Onlys Concerned With BE Direction | Syracusefan.com

Big East Basketball Onlys Concerned With BE Direction

OrangeOnions

2019-20 Iggy Co-Winner Reg Season Rcd
"The seven Big East Catholic, non-FBS schools met with Big East commissioner Mike Aresco on Sunday to express their concerns for the direction of the conference, multiple Big East sources confirmed to ESPN.com on Monday."

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...cerns-conference-catholic-schools-sources-say

really.jpg

If they're going to vote to dissolve, they'd better do it quickly.

They have to do it before July 1 next year. Seriously, could be a better outcome for uconn and Cincinnati. The basketball schools will probably let them keep their non football sports in the conference. Then they just have to find a home for football. Imagine cusa would take them.

If we were left over I would prefer that so basketball can at least play our rivals and not ucf, SMU, Houston and tulane.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

If we were left over I would prefer that so basketball can at least play our rivals and not ucf, SMU, Houston and tulane.
Agreed. Probably the best possible outcome for them, if no other lifeline is provided. SOOOO glad we made it out alive.

There is no direction right now for the BE. Their best bet is snagging some other bball only schools and forming a bball only league like they talk about in the article. Actually wouldn't be a half-bad bball conference.

Thank the lord and baby jesus we are out of this mess.

There is no direction right now for the BE. Their best bet is snagging some other bball only schools and forming a bball only league like they talk about in the article. Actually wouldn't be a half-bad bball conference.

Thank the lord and baby jesus we are out of this mess.

They add Xavier, Dayton, Butler and keep Temple, UConn and Cincinnati and you have a really nice basketball league that can probably be a top 4 league.

Xavier, Dayton, Butler have leverage, Georgetown, St. John's, Marquette, and Villanova have good programs, but Seton Hall, Providence, DePaul aren't that good of programs. The arrogance of these 7 basketball onlies to think the better A-10 school would jump from their conference and form a new one is pretty high in my opinion. The A-10 pays about 800k per school from their TV contract this will go up slightly when Charlotte and Temple leave the conference. I don't think a potential basketball only conference not including UConn or Cincinnati would get more than 1 million dollars a year in TV money. The basketball onlies only cache was having the Big East brand, NCAA Tournament Unit money, and the conference tournament in MSG. You take that away and I highly doubt the A-10 schools will jump I believe Georgetown, St. John's and Villanova will jump to the A-10, Marquette and DePaul to the Mizzouri Valley, Providence and Seton Hall to the Patriot League.

I agree that it is very presumptuous to assume that the A10 schools will immediately want to jump into the BE.

The A10 proved to be very smart by locking in Butler, and VCU while the BE bball schools were being played by the fball ones. Does the A10 have a buyout? Will Butler or VCU be so willing to jump conferences twice in 2-3 years?

Best option for the bball onlies may be to vote to shut down the fball portion of the league, but keep Cincy, UConn, and USF. With that 10 team base, the league is pretty solid. Down the line maybe you can lure in Xavier or Butler or VCU once the conference has a few years of stability under it's belt.

Xavier, Dayton, Butler have leverage, Georgetown, St. John's, Marquette, and Villanova have good programs, but Seton Hall, Providence, DePaul aren't that good of programs. The arrogance of these 7 basketball onlies to think the better A-10 school would jump from their conference and form a new one is pretty high in my opinion. The A-10 pays about 800k per school from their TV contract this will go up slightly when Charlotte and Temple leave the conference. I don't think a potential basketball only conference not including UConn or Cincinnati would get more than 1 million dollars a year in TV money. The basketball onlies only cache was having the Big East brand, NCAA Tournament Unit money, and the conference tournament in MSG. You take that away and I highly doubt the A-10 schools will jump I believe Georgetown, St. John's and Villanova will jump to the A-10, Marquette and DePaul to the Mizzouri Valley, Providence and Seton Hall to the Patriot League.

Seton Hall is an A-10 school. Academics aren't good enough for the Patriot League. Even Providence would have a hard time mustering enough votes in the past.

As someone who grow up w/ the Big East, this is sad to me. Not just this, the whole realignment.
I agree, but if the BE ends up like this:

Nova
SJU
Gtown
SHU
PC
Marq
DePaul
UConn
Cincy
USF
Temple
Memphis

Is it really that bad? They could even knock out 2 like Memphis and USF and have a really solid 10 team league with round robin play. That league would be a top 5 league probably every year. Maybe even better than the SEC.

MSG would have no problem keeping a league like that, and the TV contract would be decent, maybe close to what it is right now.

As someone who grow up w/ the Big East, this is sad to me. Not just this, the whole realignment.
There will be a 30 for 30 about this in 15 years called "When the Big East was the baddest man in town..." or something like that. Seriously, the best hoops conference in the country destroyed by in fighting, and agendas." It's sad, but they did this to themselves.

There will be a 30 for 30 about this in 15 years called "When the Big East was the baddest man in town..." or something like that. Seriously, the best hoops conference in the country destroyed by in fighting, and agendas." It's sad, but they did this to themselves.
I think the BE never had a chance.

At no point could the BE have ever done anything to prevent this from happening. The best thing they could have done is separate from the fball schools 15 years ago. The last 3 BE commish's, including Aresco, have been lampooned by the BE fanbases as being asleep at the switch, but they never could have prevented these changes, no one could have.

The league was designed as a for profit, television oriented, basketball conference. The BE set the stage for its own demise. Once it became clear to everyone how much more money could be made in football, the BE got ate up by for profit, television orientated, football conferences. It was inevitable.

This conference was never about 8, 9, 10, 12, or 16 schools with a common mission and purpose, it was about a bunch of schools trying to maximize their product and make money. Some of those schools in the conference found a better way to maximize their product and make more money, and the BE suffered as a result. No amount of leadership was ever going to stop that from happening.

I expect this to be a subject in "50 for 50". . .if there is an ESPN at that point.

I don't know. All the football schools were a phone call away from joining the ACC or Big 10 from almost the second the Big East was formed. If the BE didn't start football then Syracuse, BC and Pitt would have left in 1990. Even adding Penn State might not have saved anything because again, we were all just a phone call away. The Big East was doomed from day one.

It's been a hell of a ride. Though with Pitt, UNC, NC State, Louisville, Notre Dame and Duke - I'm genuinely excited for ACC basketball.

Interesting:

"Meanwhile, a source with knowledge of the Big East's deal with Madison Square Garden told ESPN.com that MSG is "covered" and can get out of the contract if the league continues to change its membership."

I can think of a conference that might want to see that happen.

Absolutely.
I have an affinity for all those former conference mates, and hate to see this happening to them.
Sucks. Oh Lord

I like the idea of keeping it Catholic-only, and adding Xavier, St. Louis, Creighton, Butler, and Dayton.

There are so many possibilities:

Pre-game prayer session
Eucharist at halftime
Confession of sins committed during the game
Tithing at the concession stands
Play for the Pope's Cup

I like the idea of keeping it Catholic-only, and adding Xavier, St. Louis, Creighton, Butler, and Dayton.

Pre-game prayer session
Eucharist at halftime
Play for the Pope's Cup

The Big East Headquarters in Providence sucking money out of the schools would even be comparable to the way the church works.

Pre-game prayer session
Eucharist at halftime
Play for the Pope's Cup

If you want to keep it Catholic you better trade the Calvinists (I mean Butler) for Duquesne or Loyola of Maryland.

I think the BE never had a chance.

At no point could the BE have ever done anything to prevent this from happening.

that is incorrect. Thirty years ago, Penn State and Pitt applied to join the league. They needed 6 of 8 votes to get in - Penn State only got five. We don't know who who the three no votes were, but I have heard rumors that it was St. John's, Seton Hall and Georgetown. When Penn State joined the Big Ten in 1990, the Big East scrambled to protect their football members, but it was already too late. If they had Penn State in the fold, then probably they never lose Miami, Virginia Tech or West Virginia. Maybe it's the Big East that pilfers Maryland. Who knows? Maybe it would have all fallen apart anyway, but we do know is that they were doomed the minute they stuck it to Penn State.

that is incorrect. Thirty years ago, Penn State and Pitt applied to join the league. They needed 6 of 8 votes to get in - Penn State only got five. We don't know who who the three no votes were, but I have heard rumors that it was St. John's, Seton Hall and Georgetown. When Penn State joined the Big Ten in 1990, the Big East scrambled to protect their football members, but it was already too late. If they had Penn State in the fold, then probably they never lose Miami, Virginia Tech or West Virginia. Maybe it's the Big East that pilfers Maryland. Who knows? Maybe it would have all fallen apart anyway, but we do know is that they were doomed the minute they stuck it to Penn State.
It would have fallen apart.

Would PSU be any more interested in bball only welfare than we are? I doubt it.

So who in a Catholic conference would participate in LAX? Would they have enough teams for an auto-bid?