Big East files lawsuit against WVU | Syracusefan.com

Big East files lawsuit against WVU

cto

Administrator
Here is the Big East statement:

November 4, 2011

The BIG EAST Conference today filed suit against West Virginia University in Superior Court for the State of Rhode Island, Providence County. This breach of contract lawsuit seeks an order requiring West Virginia to comply with the BIG EAST Bylaws, as well as damages resulting from West Virginia’s improper attempted withdrawal in violation of those Bylaws.

Statement from BIG EAST Commissioner John Marinatto on the lawsuit brought by The BIG EAST Conference against West Virginia University:
“Today’s legal action underscores The BIG EAST Conference’s stated position that it will vigorously pursue the enforcement of its rights and West Virginia University’s obligations under the conference’s Bylaws which West Virginia formally agreed to and helped construct.”

November 4, 2011

The BIG EAST Conference today filed suit against West Virginia University in Superior Court for the State of Rhode Island, Providence County. This breach of contract lawsuit seeks an order requiring West Virginia to comply with the BIG EAST Bylaws, as well as damages resulting from West Virginia’s improper attempted withdrawal in violation of those Bylaws.

Statement from BIG EAST Commissioner John Marinatto on the lawsuit brought by The BIG EAST Conference against West Virginia University:
“Today’s legal action underscores The BIG EAST Conference’s stated position that it will vigorously pursue the enforcement of its rights and West Virginia University’s obligations under the conference’s Bylaws which West Virginia formally agreed to and helped construct.”

-----------------

Thanks for update. The idea that WVU thinks it can just walk away from the terms of the contract they signed and the timing of their lawsuit which precludes any effort to find a mutually agreeable solution based on permitting the Big East time to find replacement teams and understand when these teams can participate in the conference just strikes me as a form of legal mayhem and the absolute wrong way to do things.

This is like watching two children fight over a toy that neither of them really wants to play with.

Can you even sue someone for doing something they haven't done yet?

Sent from my DROIDX

Why can they just pay for Boise to come next year ? Boise brand is worth enough in FB to replace anything lost.

November 4, 2011

I would imagine the Big East used lawyers that didn't put out as poor a work product as WVU's.

mug_dodd_dennis_normal.jpg

dennisdoddcbs Dennis Dodd

ESPN contract states that if ANY Big East member leaves during term of contract it can negotiate reduction of rights fees

mug_dodd_dennis_normal.jpg

dennisdoddcbs Dennis Dodd

ESPN contract states that if ANY Big East member leaves during term of contract it can negotiate reduction of rights fees

-------------------------------------

"WVU former president and general counsel chief drafters of BE withdrawl provisions. Wow"

from Dennis Dodd twitter

This is like watching two children fight over a toy that neither of them really wants to play with.

One child.

At this point, the BE is doing the right thing in my opinion.

WVU is exhibiting a lack of class.

I have seen alot of WVU fans on other boards saying that WVU could just bolt at the end of the year and pay off a few small lawsuits and be on there way. IMO if they just leave they could sued for enough to bury there program for a generation lol. I dont know tho but it will be fun to see how it plays out.

I have seen alot of WVU fans on other boards saying that WVU could just bolt at the end of the year and pay off a few small lawsuits and be on there way. IMO if they just leave they could sued for enough to bury there program for a generation lol. I dont know tho but it will be fun to see how it plays out.

I'm sure they can - but let's say this goes to court and all the unseemliness behind the scenes in college football gets exposed. Then West Virginia hasn't just alienated the Big East - they will have created enemies at ESPN and at other conferences as well. What would bury the program wouldn't be the lawsuit settlements - it would be that every single current stakeholder in college football today would have a personal vendetta with West Virginia. It's hard to win when everyone is your enemy.

I can understand (almost) everything that West Virginia has done so far - but I would expect that now the opening moves have been made, and all the key parties will get together and work something out quietly behind closed doors. If this goes to trial, no matter what the outcome nobody will win, and West Virginia is guaranteed to lose in the long run.

It's really silly on WVU's part. They are potentially going down a very dark road and for what? To join the B12? What happens when/if the B12 falls apart? Do you think the ACC and SEC would want to have ANYTHING to do with them?

One child.

At this point, the BE is doing the right thing in my opinion.

WVU is exhibiting a lack of class.

I guess I can see that, but once SU and Pitt announced they were leaving, why should WVU be bound to 27 months if it would prevent them from going somewhere else? That's what a judge has to decide and I wouldn't be surprised if they won, or at least came to a reasonable settlement. It's not loyalty after SU and Pitt left, it's survival.

SU and Pitt were the catalysts for what ruined the league, so it makes sense to hold them to 27 months. WVU, and the other 6 were the victims, it's hard to be reasonable about this and say that the Big East wasn't weakened because there are other current non BCS schools willing to join.

If I were WVU, I would have fought the $5M as well (same with TCU). But I believe they figured their agreement to the $5M, even paying half up front, would be the good faith that would get them out of the league early without much pushback.

I guess I can see that, but once SU and Pitt announced they were leaving, why should WVU be bound to 27 months if it would prevent them from going somewhere else? That's what a judge has to decide and I wouldn't be surprised if they won, or at least came to a reasonable settlement. It's not loyalty after SU and Pitt left, it's survival.

SU and Pitt were the catalysts for what ruined the league, so it makes sense to hold them to 27 months. WVU, and the other 6 were the victims, it's hard to be reasonable about this and say that the Big East wasn't weakened because there are other current non BCS schools willing to join.

If I were WVU, I would have fought the $5M as well (same with TCU). But I believe they figured their agreement to the $5M, even paying half up front, would be the good faith that would get them out of the league early without much pushback.

IMO the league hasnt been weakened yet becouse all the same teams are still in the league even for 2012 so there is no drop off for WVu in competitiveness until the teams are swapped out. They should be held to the 27 months since they helped draft it up voted to keep it in the bylaws atleast 2 times a year and even in sept. voted yes to those bylaws not even 2 months ago AFTER SU and PITT had announced they were leaving. So they were cool with the bylaws until they want to leave? Also the B12 made an announcement that WVu was still coming even if they couldn't play in 2012 so it's not like they are missing out if they are stuck for another year. IMO they settle so WVu gets to leave in 2013

But I believe they figured their agreement to the $5M, even paying half up front, would be the good faith that would get them out of the league early without much pushback.
The $2.5M is required for the departure notice to be valid. I am sure that Syracuse and Pittsburgh did likewise.

...the basis for the leaving the BE conference can go all the back to BC, Miami, and VT leaving...but as importantly, the BE has survived without all teams being equal insofar as play within the conference...but teams having equal votes. This led to turning down the ESPN contract that all football schools voted for except Rutgirls and ND...and ND had contract with NBC.

Whatever is going on behind the scenes for 'Cuse and Pitt is what WVU should be doing...bringing out the dirty laundry into public will not help WVU nor BE