Big East Meeting in Philly | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Big East Meeting in Philly

Glad you feel so strongly about it. Too bad you're wrong on this one.
Put your money where your mouth is. We can put it up front in a pay pal account and let a neutral party hold it.

I know I'm right.

I read somewhere that the Boise move is not a slam dunk, & that BSU would stand to lose a huge chunk just to leave their present conference. Also, they'd have to account for lost BCS revenue, plus other fees- with the total amt. approaching $21 mil, just to GO to the BE.
I'll look for the link to that story, but this would indicate that its not a done deal for a school of Boise's size & stature. It is still Idaho that we're talking about- do they really have $millions to give up to join the Big "East"?

Yeah and if they lose a game or two and don't win the conference and aren't in a BCS Bowl game is it worth their while to be in the Big East for football and end up playing in 2nd and 3rd tier bowls? I'm guessing no!

Put your money where your mouth is. We can put it up front in a pay pal account and let a neutral party hold it.

I know I'm right.
That's the difference between us. I think I'm right. You think you know you're right. Have a nice night, tough guy.

That's the difference between us. I think I'm right. You think you know you're right. Have a nice night, tough guy.
Not tough by any means. Just realistic. I know I'm right because the landscape of college sports and what is actually happening is backing me up and proving I'm right.

I don't have some pipe dream that air force and navy will keep the Big East BCS AQ because they are protecting our country and these college presidents and AD's will become all mushy over it. This ain't a Disney Movie son. This is big business and you are putting emotion into it.

If you think this new BE will lose it's AQ status, then you are in for a surprise. For many reasons, it won't happen. This gives more of the current have-nots 'Have' status. That is good for the BCS - it gives more of the FBS teams access to the BCS without having the BCS cede another slot to another lower-tier conference. That also helps keep the pols at bay. And, if you think the BCS would yank a slot from a conference with Navy and Air Force in it, think again. The last thing the BCS wants is the government to get involved. They will find a way to keep the BE's AQ status.

By that logic, why not just give every FBS school AQ status?

You can bet that the commissioners from the five power conferences are not too fond of seeing the Big East representative take up a spot in the BCS every year. IMO, that's the motivation behind all of this expansion. They won't tolerate the Big East having a seat and the adult table for much longer.

And I don't buy this "BCS won't yank an AQ status from Navy and Air Force" line of thinking. First of all, neither of those schools have ever been BCS schools. Secondly, if they join the Big East and the BE does not meet the criteria, then the BCS has every right to take away the AQ status. The government won't get involved, and even if they do, so what? It's a free market system. BCS can do whatever they want. How shady would it be for the government to stick its nose in a college sports system just because the military academies are involved? It would be ridiculous.

By that logic, why not just give every FBS school AQ status?

Exactly. Just let everyone in. Why has the MWC and Conf-USA been left out? Let everyone in and nobody will complain. And Army, Navy, Air Force are happy and we can't upset them. And the Government won't get involved. And its one big happy family. The BCS has kept Army, Navy, and Air Force out this long, but now that's gonna change. The BCS powers that be will grow a heart overnight all of a sudden.

All of this conference shuffling hasn't been about money. :rolleyes: Please!

Not tough by any means. Just realistic. I know I'm right because the landscape of college sports and what is actually happening is backing me up and proving I'm right.

I don't have some pipe dream that air force and navy will keep the Big East BCS AQ because they are protecting our country and these college presidents and AD's will become all mushy over it. This ain't a Disney Movie son. This is big business and you are putting emotion into it.
Please explain to me how I am putting emotion into this, son. I don't have any pipe dreams. I am ecstatic to be leaving this conference. I don't really care if it dies or not. I am just telling you what my opinion is (and the opinion of many others, too). You just think that anyone with an opinion opposite from yours is primed for being shouted down like they're idiots. Give your opinion. Don't be a douche about it.

Wanna bet? Name your price! No price is too high for me. The Big East will NOT keep its AQ with that lackluster group they have put together. You can't depend on Boise to win the conference every year. And when they don't what are you stuck with? That big SMU-Auburn Sugar Bowl? Or the Florida St-Navy Orange Bowl? Oh wait, it might be a good year and UCONN goes back to the Fiesta to play Oklahoma again and lose by 50! Please!

Give me a break. No way it will happen. Stop drinking the Kool-Aid cause those bowl games with those teams will lose money and get no tv ratings which costs the BCS money in contract talks. The Big East can preach about city size all they want and market size and thats nice on paper but not in reality. The Big 10, SEC, ACC, Big 12, and PAC 12 ain't letting that happen.

And YES I have no doubt that these money hungry liars who would step over their dead mother to switch conferences will pull an AQ away from Navy and Air Force. Now these people who have back-stabbed everyone will grow a heart and have a soul and care about someone other than themselves and their conference?! HA HA!!We have had school presidents, AD's and in some instances men of the cloth lie to each others faces. I have no doubt they would take away an AQ from The Big East even if Navy and Air Force join the Big East to make a few extra bucks for their conference.

Agree with you -- I have a hard to believing that a confederation of cobbled together, non-brand name schools with no geographical ties will survive long-term as a BCS conference. I don't see that happening.

I know I'm right.

internet fight.jpg

Give your opinion. Don't be a douche about it.

Coming from the guy who said...

Too bad you're wrong on this one.

Look,sorry if you took my stance as getting heated at you. Didn't mean it to come off that way. But you are putting emotion into this by bringing up Navy and Air Force and think that matters in the least. I'm sorry, but you are. You are entitled to your opinion though. Although the actions of about 20 schools in the last year or so says what I am saying is true.

Exactly. Just let everyone in. Why has the MWC and Conf-USA been left out? Let everyone in and nobody will complain. And Army, Navy, Air Force are happy and we can't upset them. And the Government won't get involved. And its one big happy family. The BCS has kept Army, Navy, and Air Force out this long, but now that's gonna change. The BCS powers that be will grow a heart overnight all of a sudden.

All of this conference shuffling hasn't been about money. :rolleyes: Please!
You don't get it, do you? No one is talking about growing a heart. No one. Of course it's about money. Brilliant deduction, Sherlock. Excellent arguing strategy, by the way - argue against a point that was never made.
The BCS has dodged government involvement several times now. The BCS wants to continue to make money. They're not going to make as much money if they have to fight the government on whatever grounds it can find. They want to avoid any such entanglements.
The BE would be stupid not to try to leverage letting SU, Pitt, and WV go for assurances of maintaining the AQ slot. Ok, bad point, They are stupid.

Look,sorry if you took my stance as getting heated at you. Didn't mean it to come off that way. But you are putting emotion into this by bringing up Navy and Air Force and think that matters in the least. I'm sorry, but you are.
No, I'm not. Can't understand why you think this is emotional.

The BCS has dodged government involvement several times now. The BCS wants to continue to make money. They're not going to make as much money if they have to fight the government on whatever grounds it can find. They want to avoid any such entanglements.

Why would they need to fight the government? You still haven't explained this. The BCS isn't doing anything illegal.

You don't get it, do you? No one is talking about growing a heart. No one. Of course it's about money. Brilliant deduction, Sherlock. Excellent arguing strategy, by the way - argue against a point that was never made.
The BE would be stupid not to try to leverage letting SU, Pitt, and WV go for assurances of maintaining the AQ slot. Ok, bad point, They are stupid.

Why is the government going to get involved? Seriously, on what grounds?

No, I'm not. Can't understand why you think this is emotional.
Because one of the main points of your whole argument is the BCS would never ever never ever yank a Big East AQ bid away from a conference with Navy and Air Force. That's playing the "emotion card" on your part.

Because one of the main points of your whole argument is the BCS would never ever never ever yank a Big East AQ bid away from a conference with Navy and Air Force. That's playing the "emotion card" on your part.
It was a point. Not a main point. Whatever.

I know I'm right.

Two things:

1) The criteria for next round of BCS qualifications hasn't yet been determined.

2) If the current criteria is used:

a) Highest Ranked Team in Final BCS Rankings.
b) Total Number of Teams Ranked in Top 25 of Final BCS Standings.
c) Average BCS Ranking of all conference members.

Then the Big East would be just fine in keeping their bid. In addition, the BCS Conference "number" is used evaluating new conferences and not an instrument to boot out current members.

The point is, nobody knows what will happen to the BCS in the future, and since the only means we have of evaluating a conference is the current BCS format, to say you know for sure that the Big East will lose it's BCS is fairly ignorant and just ignoring all the information currently available to us.

Thoughts?

Two things:

1) The criteria for next round of BCS qualifications hasn't yet been determined.

2) If the current criteria is used:

a) Highest Ranked Team in Final BCS Rankings.
b) Total Number of Teams Ranked in Top 25 of Final BCS Standings.
c) Average BCS Ranking of all conference members.

Then the Big East would be just fine in keeping their bid. In addition, the BCS Conference "number" is used evaluating new conferences and not an instrument to boot out current members.

The point is, nobody knows what will happen to the BCS in the future, and since the only means we have of evaluating a conference is the current BCS format, to say you know for sure that the Big East will lose it's BCS is fairly ignorant and just ignoring all the information currently available to us.

Thoughts?
Agreed. For many reasons (some obviously in question :)), the BE will keep the bid, imo.

Stern

Let me get this straight. You are saying that if the BE gets to the rumored 12 teams that they will lose their BCS bid by 2015? Really? Do you realize that the BE would have a better showing by BCS criteria than the ACC? How can you justify taking the bid away from the BE and allowing the ACC to keep it? And do you really think that if the BE lost its BCS bid that McConnell or any supporters/politicians from Texas, Florida, NJ, Conn, or the Armed Forces won't make a stink? Why would the Big 5 even risk that? They already won by killing CUSA, the MWC, and the WAC. Last year Boise and TCU stole bids. The chances of a MAC, Sun Belt, WAC, BYU, or an Alliance team getting an auto bid are slim to none. There are no good schools left outside the BCS. So the Big 5 went from 7 bids last year, to 9 going forward. They already won. There is no need to kill the BE. In addition, if they do add another BCS Bowl then the Big 5 will control 11 bids.

IMO the BE going to 12 is a huge mistake. They are taking a huge risk by possibly putting a bad team in the BCS and leaving the best team out. Can you imagine if Boise went 10-2 (8-1) and then lost to an 8-4 (6-3) UConn team in the BECG? Why in the hell risk that? That is the easiest way to lose the BCS bid. The BE should just leave UCF out and not replace WV. Having 10/15 is better for both FB and BBall. Once again Marinatto messes up.

That being said there is no way in hell the BE loses its bid by 2015. At least one of those 12 teams will be Top 20 every year.

an easy solution it to just end the BCS.
next up will be the BSC, the Bowl Series Championship. (BS in there is nice) and they WILL NOT, include the stupid arse bigeast of guam conference.
the NORTHEAST is locked down Syracuse, penn st, pitt, boston college and west virginia are all in contention.

the Lambert Trophy is alive and well.

of course, its now called the Lambert/Meadowlands Trophy, which is another reason why rutgers needs to be in the next round of the ACC if there is one.

storz is getting left out. and yes, i love typing that.

Oh Lord

an easy solution it to just end the BCS.
next up will be the BSC, the Bowl Series Championship. (BS in there is nice) and they WILL NOT, include the stupid arse bigeast of guam conference.
the NORTHEAST is locked down Syracuse, penn st, pitt, boston college and west virginia are all in contention.

the Lambert Trophy is alive and well.

of course, its now called the Lambert/Meadowlands Trophy, which is another reason why rutgers needs to be in the next round of the ACC if there is one.

storz is getting left out. and yes, i love typing that.

Oh Lord

Unless the criteria changes, we could see Boise now eligible. When the BE was formed, they allowed all BE teams. Louisville already has one trophy. Miami has several. Hopefully they remove the BE as only RU and UConn are left from the NE. When WV moves to the B12 they lose eligibility.

Stern

Let me get this straight. You are saying that if the BE gets to the rumored 12 teams that they will lose their BCS bid by 2015? Really? Do you realize that the BE would have a better showing by BCS criteria than the ACC? How can you justify taking the bid away from the BE and allowing the ACC to keep it? And do you really think that if the BE lost its BCS bid that McConnell or any supporters/politicians from Texas, Florida, NJ, Conn, or the Armed Forces won't make a stink? Why would the Big 5 even risk that? They already won by killing CUSA, the MWC, and the WAC. Last year Boise and TCU stole bids. The chances of a MAC, Sun Belt, WAC, BYU, or an Alliance team getting an auto bid are slim to none. There are no good schools left outside the BCS. So the Big 5 went from 7 bids last year, to 9 going forward. They already won. There is no need to kill the BE. In addition, if they do add another BCS Bowl then the Big 5 will control 11 bids.

IMO the BE going to 12 is a huge mistake. They are taking a huge risk by possibly putting a bad team in the BCS and leaving the best team out. Can you imagine if Boise went 10-2 (8-1) and then lost to an 8-4 (6-3) UConn team in the BECG? Why in the hell risk that? That is the easiest way to lose the BCS bid. The BE should just leave UCF out and not replace WV. Having 10/15 is better for both FB and BBall. Once again Marinatto messes up.

That being said there is no way in hell the BE loses its bid by 2015. At least one of those 12 teams will be Top 20 every year.

They would have a better criteria than the ACC? How? Because of Boise? If that's the case then Boise would be in an AQ conference no matter where they went, even if they went to the MAC or Sun Belt.

Like I said...the true power conferences are not going to stand for allowing a Big East team at the adult table for much longer.

What world do you people live in? Seriously.

I am NOT talking about performance in the BCS games. But the actual ranking of the highest team, the BE beats the ACC. Where the BE struggles is having Top 25 teams. But so does the ACC. The last part of the criteria is avg computer ranking of all teams. If someone can find that info we can compare which conference comes out on top.

2011 (thus far)- BE has the highest ranked, ACC has more teams
BE- Boise #5, HOU #13
ACC- Clemson #11, VT #12, GA Tech #23

2010- BE had the highest rank, ACC more teams
BE- Boise #10
ACC- VT #13, FSU #23

2009- BE had the two highest ranked, ACC had more teams
BE- Cincy #3, Boise #6
ACC- GA Tech #9, VT #11, Miami #15

2008- BE had the two highest ranked, ACC had more teams
BE- Boise #9, Cincy #12
ACC- GA Tech #14, VT #19, BC #24