Big East Official: SU Pitt "Likely Gone" | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Big East Official: SU Pitt "Likely Gone"

UConn's lead on the lawsuit against the ACC really hurt them. BC and several ACC schools didn't forget that and I believe its why we are going with Pitt. ACC is a basketball league and while Pitt is better in football UConn's 3 NCs are the most since 1999 and they are being passed by the ACC. Any way F them and let's go cuse we ACCept the new conference.
Uconn's post-defection antics probably do hurt them and definately cost them consideration this go round, plus I think BC wants them excluded for recruiting reasons, on top of the lawsuit. Don't count them out eventually, they are too viable a choice not to be invited should a couple of ACC schools move on down the road. That's the best they can hope for. Marinatto must take what's left and merge with the B12 now, or the BE FB schools nead to break away entirely and join what's left of the Big 12...ASAP. Too bad for UConn, RU, maybe WV, and the others. Unfortunately, that's the best they can hope for right now, a stategic alliance with BCS programs, and that's not a guarentee a conference of this make-up will thrive or last. Waiting for the B10 to come calling is just too iffy and expansion to 16 on all fronts is too unpredictable. Just glad it's not SU, we've already been down that 'have not' road before.

Nothing more to say. Bad for hoops. Great for football.

I'll miss the BE tourney, games with St. John's, Rutgers, Seton Hall, Nova, Gtown, UConn. A lot not to like there. I will be attending a lot less basketball games. The ACC basketball tourney will be a meaningless exercise.

I wouldn't be surprised to see UConn and Rutgers join the Big 10. So, in that sense, it's a wash in terms of prestige. We'll get stronger in football...but so will they.

BE tourney games against Rutgers??? What??

i-for-one-welcome-meme-generator-i-for-one-welcome-our-new-acc-overlords-d67810.jpg

you have to wonder if the ACC would rotate the ACC tourney into the city with all the alumni in the area..

Absolutely -- why wouldn't the ACC love to play at the Garden with all of their schools alums in the area.

The Catholic schools will stay together and likely add teams like Xavier and Dayton. They could still hold their tourney at MSG. The ACC could probably out-bid them for the right to use MSG if they wanted to, but it doesn't sound like the ACC is really thinking about taking ownership of the NYC-area. If that was their thinking, they'd grab Storz State and Jersey State, too.

...ACC goes to 14 with 'Cuse and Pitt...still need two more most likely. They have tried to seal themselves from teams leaving by raising the pot up to $20,000,000. So, are the next two: Texas and TT or WVU and UConn...cannot see splitting the Texas/TT offering...but WVU could go SEC...Uconn most likely comes ACC or Big 10 in short order.

The Catholic schools will stay together and likely add teams like Xavier and Dayton. They could still hold their tourney at MSG. The ACC could probably out-bid them for the right to use MSG if they wanted to, but it doesn't sound like the ACC is really thinking about taking ownership of the NYC-area. If that was their thinking, they'd grab Storz State and Jersey State, too.

The BE will survive as a decent BB conference ... just like Dave Gavitt intended over 30 years ago.

Hate to say it but Rutgirls & UConn would lock up the whole East coast over WVA (which have a good shot at landing in the SEC).

I think it's critical to have the Tourney in MSG at least once every two years. it's great for the market, & it keeps it more fair for teams who are tired of playing inUNC & Duke's backyard all the time.

Ive never understood why the entire northeast is a home game for 'cuse, while duke and unc regularly play in their backyard for the first half of the final four tourney... that'll have to change

If UConn and Rutgers joined, an MSG tournament could become conceivable. It's not as if all those northeast connections would go the way of the dinosaurs. The ACC is making this move because it's good for business after all.

sorry but i do not believe a word of this---been down this road before---i sincerely do not believe this for one minute---there is a lot of posturing going on here by te acc

I will believe it when the dust settles. Until then, strap on the seat belts, this is going to be one bumpy ride! It's the smart move by far. You have to act now. Either they move to a conference or this gets the big east off their ass to do something.

I will believe it when the dust settles. Until then, strap on the seat belts, this is going to be one bumpy ride! It's the smart move by far. You have to act now. Either they move to a conference or this gets the big east off their ass to do something.
i have always wondered what providence was doing about preserving the conference???i'd hoped it was something but after the last raid it appears nothing. i do not want the big east to fold it appears inevitable, once again rome burns.i still think the latest scenario of pitt and su is smoke and acc posturing---swofford is a smart man.

Their only options are to either grab a few Big 12 teams with credentials like Kansas & Missouri, OR, Merge with the ACC, dropping the basketball only schools...

Meanwhile, back at Big East Headquarters:

just got real.jpg

"Quick, someone get Nova on the phone"! :bat:

Bees beat me but here is the tweet:

Former Cuse QB Don McPherson on ACC: "I like the move. The landscape of college sports is rapidly changing..."

Of corse he did. He knew this was happening.

All the premium subscribers knew a week ago. Ohhh wait, that doesn't work on this site. Damnit.

a contact at one of the ACC current members says this is very much for real, and that an official announcement will be coming very quickly. I am interested to see for myself how credible my source is.

a contact at one of the ACC current members says this is very much for real, and that an official announcement will be coming very quickly. I am interested to see for myself how credible my source is.

I just posted a thread - chip brown is saying on twitter the announcement will be tomorrow

wonder if Boheim hands the keys over to Hop in 27 months if this comes to fruition. He won't be thrilled i bet.

Nothing more to say. Bad for hoops. Great for football.

I'll miss the BE tourney, games with St. John's, Rutgers, Seton Hall, Nova, Gtown, UConn. A lot not to like there. I will be attending a lot less basketball games. The ACC basketball tourney will be a meaningless exercise.

I wouldn't be surprised to see UConn and Rutgers join the Big 10. So, in that sense, it's a wash in terms of prestige. We'll get stronger in football...but so will they.

I just think that if the ACC wants a true North to South lock on the Eastern Seaboard, they need to also add Buttgers or UConn or both.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom