Big East players you have actually admired | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Big East players you have actually admired

I'd have to go with John Bagley. He was a tremendous talent. He once beat us at the buzzer by making a shot in which he was falling away from the sideline in the corner.

I also think that kid Hazell for SHU was as good a shooter as I have ever seen.

Harold Jensen ... because he beat Georgetown in the FF.

My favorite opponents of recent vintage:

Dante Cunningham, Villanova. No one played the high post against our zone better.
Chevy Troutman, Pittsburgh. Did all the little things. Would have loved him on our team.
Sam Young, Pittsburgh. So smooth.
Austin Freeman, Georgetown. Low key kid, solid and unselfish, overcame health issues.

This is a real tough one for me. Three quick ones for me are Chris Mullin, Billy Donovan and Walter Berry (yeah I know). Then I go program by program and rule out a ton of names. However, here are a couple other players that I liked. Boston College-maybe Dana Barros. Yukon-Ray Allen(only after he became Jesus Shuttleworth) and Ben Gordon. Georgetown-tough one although I liked Victor Page when no one else every did.. Nova-maybe Nardi, however I like Randy Foye now. Cincy-Jason Maxiell-but I don't think he played in the BE, West Virginia-Mike Gansey, Rutgers-Quincy Douby. Seton Hall-Terry Dehere
I'll add Chris Thomas. He took Billy Es abuse in stride. Quincy Douby and Herve Lamizana were heroes or near heroes against SU for their scrappy RU squads. Darius Lane, remember that guy? His range went to half court. And one more to get out of the state of NJ, Troy Bell impressed for a no star recruit.

He said admired not hated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suspected it would not be popular answer.

I will now force myself to rewatc te 2011 national title as penance for my sins.

This is a real tough one for me. Three quick ones for me are Chris Mullin, Billy Donovan and Walter Berry (yeah I know). Then I go program by program and rule out a ton of names. However, here are a couple other players that I liked. Boston College-maybe Dana Barros. Yukon-Ray Allen(only after he became Jesus Shuttleworth) and Ben Gordon. Georgetown-tough one although I liked Victor Page when no one else every did.. Nova-maybe Nardi, however I like Randy Foye now. Cincy-Jason Maxiell-but I don't think he played in the BE, West Virginia-Mike Gansey, Rutgers-Quincy Douby. Seton Hall-Terry Dehere

Chris Mullin - did all the little things, in addition to being the best shooter in Big East history
Patrick Ewing (probably the best college center of my lifetime)
Ray Allen - that shot to beat G'town in the Big East final was great
Rip Hamilton - a great shooter, very clutch. His game against Duke in that final was something.
Kerry Kittles (his battles with Moten were classics)
DeJuan Blair - Pitt. That guy was tough
Charles Smith (Pitt, not G'town) - a great talent, but a little soft, and we had their number. Still he and Jerome Lane made for a great frontcourt for the Panthers
Emeka Okafor - what a college basketball player ought to be
Billy Donovan - willed that Providence team to the Final Four

There are obviously more, but that's the top of my list, excluding our own guys, of course.

Bound to miss some, off the top of my head:

The late great Malik Sealy;
Kevin Jones;
Emeka Okafor;
Sam Young (probably the only Pittsburgh guy I've ever liked);
Stanley Robinson;
Jake Voskuhl (waited outside the SU locker room to praise Thomas and a couple of the other guys after one of our ugly late-'90s Dome losses);
Denis Kilicli.

Also, not a player, but Leonard Hamilton seemed like a really decent guy when his teams were racking up the losses in 1992 and 1993. Always admired him.

I liked the SJU triumvirate of Jason Buchanan (Yeah Ham!), Boo Harvey and Malik Sealy. I also wanted Ramon Ramos to beat Meechigan in '89.

To each his own, but whoah. And ...what? And ...really?

Yeah, figured that one would be out in left field.

Always seemed like a good guy, had a kind of interesting backstory.

Chris Mullen would be my favorite. When St. Johns came to the Dome in Mullen's freshman year, I told my wife to watch the warm-ups and tell me which one was Chris. I had told her on the way to the Dome that he was supposed to be the best recruit that St. Johns had gotten in many years. She watched for about 3 minutes and then said " It must be that guy, number ( I can't remember his number) because he isn't missing any shots." I don't think Chris missed more than 2 or 3 at the most the entire warm-up time.

Interesting thread and a lot of common names- I would go with-

Bootsy Thornton - loved the name and a good player.
Mike Gansey
Terrence Williams - a bit more recent but a human highlight reel.
John Linehan ( I think first name was John)...- providence guard who was annoying as all get out but a hell of a defender.
Kevin Freeman
Kerry Kittles
Rip Hamilton
Sam Young

Chevon Troutman. pppppppppffffffft yea right he's a douchenozzle.

I've always admired any ugly foreign dude that we've played because its tough to play in the U.S. when you're foreign and when your ugly :)

Jason Buchanen
Michael Adams

Jaren Jackson. Barely remember him at G'town but he had a solid NBA career and won a title with the Spurs. Met him in 2003 after the championship in NO and he partied with us until the sun came up. Great dude. The only Hoya I'll ever speak well off.

Chevon Troutman. pppppppppffffffft yea right he's a douchenozzle.

Who admirers shoves in the back? He was the premier thug on a team of thugs.

Ben Gordon (because he chose UConn because he saw cows there),

lol what?

Kevin Pittsnogle (who could not like that goofy-looking 7-footer who made all those threes?).
CuseTroop. Thats who. I had WF winning it all in 05 on my bracket. they played WVU in the elite 8 I think. 3 overtimes, WF lost. I blamed it on Pittsnogle, and have hated him ever since

).

I liked the SJU triumvirate of Jason Buchanan (Yeah Ham!), Boo Harvey and Malik Sealy. I also wanted Ramon Ramos to beat Meechigan in '89.

Ramon Ramos was MVP of the all ugly team. A mug even his mother couldn't love. Imagine having to breast feed him. lmao.

The Ben Gordon story... Ben was a heavily recruited kid from inner city Mount Vernon. On his first trip to UConn, he saw the cows in the huge agricultural school complex and had freshly made ice cream in the Dairy Barn. He had never seen cows before. He was so excited that he committed to UConn on the spot. (Seriously, this is a true story).

The Ben Gordon story... Ben was a heavily recruited kid from inner city Mount Vernon. On his first trip to UConn, he saw the cows in the huge agricultural school complex and had freshly made ice cream in the Dairy Barn. He had never seen cows before. He was so excited that he committed to UConn on the spot. (Seriously, this is a true story).

lol thats awesome. Thanks, CTO!

God Shamgod. I mean who has the cajones to name their kid that, that is just awesome.
his birth name was Shamgod Wells . . . he legally changed his own name to God Shamgod when he came of age