Big Ten sets attendance mark as conference again leads nation | Syracusefan.com

Big Ten sets attendance mark as conference again leads nation

hr0036_trash_barge.JPG

Rutgers Basketball Program

It will be a lot closer next season as the B1G has to take on the listing garbage skows called Rutgers and Maryland, while the ACC upgrades from Maryland to Louisville.

Average Attendance 2013-14:

Syracuse 26,253 (1st) Syracuse is not really relevant but...
Louisville 21,282 (3rd)
Maryland 12,557 (29th)
Rutgers 4,425 (97th)

When you consider the debilitating effect Rutgers will have on home attendance for B1G schools, I doubt that the B1G can remain #1 in attendance. It almost isn't fair.

I smell lots of radio freebie ticket giveaways all across BIG country this winter.

BiG will retain men's basketball attendance championship with Rutgers.

Just too many small arenas in the ACC to win that crown.

Cheers,
Neil
Did you "gonculate" the nums? I bet the ACC will be within 1000 fans.

Neil is spot on. I ran the numbers assuming that nothing changes from this past season. It still won't be very close unless Rutgers physically closes down some B1G arenas. That is only semi-plausible.

The ACC Big Three can take on anyone and destroy them. The top 6 schools in the ACC are in good shape. But there are a lot of schools that should be ashamed of themselves. Props to Nebraska, whose attendance went up over 5K last season.

Avg Attendance.png

Last edited:

I'd like to see the chart of each school but I don't see a link to that at the NCAA site. I do know numbers well enough to see that if the BiG currently averages 13,534 without MD's 12,557 and Rutgers 4,425 assuming their is no bump for either with their new visitors, this would only bring down their average to 12,813. Meanwhile, while Louisville 21,282 is a great gain, the ACC loses Maryland's 12,557 so again assuming no bump the net gain is only 8725. Since the article states the ACC averaged 10,661 per team, that would only bring the average up to 11,212.

So the difference is still more than 1600K per team, which gains the ACC some ground and more importantly further increases the gap between the ACC and the Big 12 (10489) and the SEC (10353).

Cheers,
Neil

looks like we have to move the court to the center for every game

Neil is spot on. I ran the numbers assuming that nothing changes from this past season. It still won't be very close unless Rutgers physically closes down some B1G arenas. That is only semi-plausible.

The ACC Big Three can take on anyone and destroy them. The top 6 schools in the ACC are in good shape. But there are a lot of schools that should be ashamed of themselves. Props to Nebraska, whose attendance went up over 5K last season.

View attachment 15148

Thanks Tom for the individual team numbers. One of the downsides to being in a conference with quite a few small privates who have no interest in bb like Miami and BC. Have to hope the football schools get a bump with SU and Louisville now in the league and with the coaches they have in place (Hamilton, Buzz Williams, and Brownell).

Getting each up to Wake level of support would put a nice dent in the disparity.

Cheers,
Neil

Louisville will have a bump in attendance playing an ACC conference schedule.

Can they bump? I thought they were selling out the Yum Center? Their revenue is helped by the number of suites in there, not the number of actual seats.

Louisville's official capacity is 22,090

Not much they could bump up...but I figure whatever UL gains Rutgers will gain the same with the 1st year in the league. Maryland gaining I think is dependent on how well they do. We need BC, Miami and VTech to step up their games.

Louisville's official capacity is 22,090

Not much they could bump up...but I figure whatever UL gains Rutgers will gain the same with the 1st year in the league. Maryland gaining I think is dependent on how well they do. We need BC, Miami and VTech to step up their games.
Don't think that would make much difference. BC could go up 4500, Miami 1500, VTech 5000 and they would reach capacity. The problem is the ACC's arenas are, on average, much smaller than the B1G ones. But then, the B1G schools are much larger than the ACC schools.

Thanks Tom for the individual team numbers. One of the downsides to being in a conference with quite a few small privates who have no interest in bb like Miami and BC. Have to hope the football schools get a bump with SU and Louisville now in the league and with the coaches they have in place (Hamilton, Buzz Williams, and Brownell).

Getting each up to Wake level of support would put a nice dent in the disparity.

Cheers,
Neil
It's not just the schools that don't care much about basketball either. Duke could easily double it's attendance if it chose to, but they prefer the arena they're in.