Big trouble in Little Pittsburgh? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Big trouble in Little Pittsburgh?

Wait…the BB coach is on the search committee to choose his boss?

That seems to be a conflict..
Actually it’s smart. Kill 2 birds with one stone.

We’re conditioned to think otherwise but most coaches like Boeheim jump at the chance to be AD a decade earlier. If we had made him AD and basketball coach we couldn’t have bungled the G Rob era. Boeheim would have been an amazing AD.

Donald is good marketing and would be the best possible hire they could make. What do the ADs really do and who cares about non revenue sports. Who would do a better job than him?

We’re conditioned to think otherwise but most coaches like Boeheim jump at the chance to be AD a decade earlier. If we had made him AD and basketball coach we couldn’t have bungled the G Rob era. Boeheim would have been an amazing AD.

Donald is good marketing and would be the best possible hire they could make. What do the ADs really do and who cares about non revenue sports. Who would do a better job than him?

Aaron Donald is only on the search committee to find a new AD.

He's NOT being hired.

Wait…the BB coach is on the search committee to choose his boss?

That seems to be a conflict..

Wasn't Dino on the committee that hired Wildhack?

I wonder why not Revis?

I love those dominant cornerbacks that in their heyday were the best player in the NFL. Revis Sherman Ty Law etc. All saw the game at a different speed.

Even Prime who was nice enough to gift Syracuse a starting tackle. He deserves a bottle of champagne too when we send one to Day.

I wonder why not Revis?

I love those dominant cornerbacks that in their heyday were the best player in the NFL. Revis Sherman Ty Law etc. All saw the game at a different speed.

Even Prime who was nice enough to gift Syracuse a starting tackle. He deserves a bottle of champagne too when we send one to Day.
Sanders was the best cover corner ever.

His offense and kick returning skills sometimes get more attention, but he was so dangerous a threat to intercept balls thrown to his receiver that teams would just ignore their top receiver to avoid Sanders. All pros would get zero targets when Sanders was covering them.

Here is an interesting link I found taking about how great Sanders was. It's from when he was hired at Colorado and the article has some really impressive quotes from opposing coaches.

EDIT: The highlight reel has a lot of calls by John Madden. I really enjoyed hearing him call a game again.

Last edited:
This isn’t that uncommon … when I was at WD I interviewed candidates that were slated to be my boss as a 360 interview process. Albeit it doesn’t happen everywhere but it does happen.
I believe Shady was on the search committee for the Rutgers AD during his first tenure (probably on the current one too). He hired a guy from his (and my) high school. That said, Tim Pernetti, (who I don't speak with, but have known for a very long time) was a Rutgers football alum and as something of a precursor to AD hires like Wildhack, he had a marketing and sports TV background, and proved to be a pretty good AD, but his job was simply to support football and stay out of Schiano's way. He was fired as a result of only suspending Mike Rice in the wake of the player abuse scandal.

Sanders was the best cover corner ever.

His offense and kick returning skills sometimes get more attention, but he was so dangerous a threat to intercept balls thrown to his receiver that teams would just ignore their top receiver to avoid Sanders. All pros would get zero targets when Sanders was covering them.

Here is an interesting link I found taking about how great Sanders was. It's from when he was hired at Colorado and the article has some really impressive quotes from opposing coaches.

EDIT: The highlight real has a lot of calls by John Madden. I really enjoyed hearing him call a game again.

Article complete with a Nate Hemsley photo and caption call out!

30 years ago, coaches becoming ADs wasn’t unusual. It’s not common anymore, because the role has changed. JB might have jumped at being AD when the incompetent Dr was hired - but even at that point the role had changed and it would have been a huge stretch. And I’m skeptical JB had the diplomatic skills that are a requirement for the job for it to have ever been a fit at any point in his lifetime. Jake was at least fairly competent, and about the only thing I remember him for is calling Syracuse a one-horse town that didn’t have any other option except to follow Syracuse sports - it’s a job where one bad press conference, of which JB had many, can define or end your career.

There isn’t enough money to pay me to take Wildhack’s job - the fundraising, marketing, media requirements, long term planning (in the current environment…that’s a heck of a lot, with heaping helpings of stress.

Short answer to the question of what ADs do is a lot. Way more than you apparently realize.

30 years ago, coaches becoming ADs wasn’t unusual. It’s not common anymore, because the role has changed. JB might have jumped at being AD when the incompetent Dr was hired - but even at that point the role had changed and it would have been a huge stretch. And I’m skeptical JB had the diplomatic skills that are a requirement for the job for it to have ever been a fit at any point in his lifetime. Jake was at least fairly competent, and about the only thing I remember him for is calling Syracuse a one-horse town that didn’t have any other option except to follow Syracuse sports - it’s a job where one bad press conference, of which JB had many, can define or end your career.

There isn’t enough money to pay me to take Wildhack’s job - the fundraising, marketing, media requirements, long term planning (in the current environment…that’s a heck of a lot, with heaping helpings of stress.

Short answer to the question of what ADs do is a lot. Way more than you apparently realize.
Yeah just saying JB probably would have been an amazing AD. And guys who are NFL defensive MVPs like Donald and Revis well know you cant go wrong IMO id personally hitch my wagon to them. I actually think that is what makes Fran so good he’s cooking with that special sauce and sees the game on another level.

Yeah just saying JB probably would have been an amazing AD. And guys who are NFL defensive MVPs like Donald and Revis well know you cant go wrong IMO id personally hitch my wagon to them. I actually think that is what makes Fran so good he’s cooking with that special sauce and sees the game on another level.

Would JB have ever hired Fran Brown? I don't think so, IMO. JB is risk adverse and would have hired in the same way.

Is Pitt taking a play from the BC playbook, firing her for applying for the Ad position at Northwestern?
No. There was a mutual understanding that the contract wouldn’t be renewed and there was a window to get another job.

That has passed. And here we are.

No animosity. Just business, hence why Pitt has “strongly” identified candidates.