Big10 considering commish power to fire coaches, expel PSU | Syracusefan.com

Big10 considering commish power to fire coaches, expel PSU

Just dont see that happening. No school is going to give a 3rd party the power to fire their staff.

At this point, I would take nothing off the table. Death Penalty...Expulsion from B1G...Slap on the wrist...

This situation could go any number of directions.

Wow

Vegas odds went to 1:2 that PSU will be dead by the end of 2013...only Amy Winehouse had higher odds in the past.

Delaney, the man who at one time in a different position was investigating a student athlete about something and accepted a bribe from the player and then ruled in the kids favor. The bribe? A paid for hooker.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Delaney, the man who at one time in a different position was investigating a student athlete about something and accepted a bribe from the player and then ruled in the kids favor. The bribe? A paid for hooker.

I don't know anything about this. What's the story?

and who among us hasn't done the same thing. I mean, eh, not me of course.

and who among us hasn't done the same thing. I mean, eh, not me of course.
They have the best crack head hookers in schenectady, puke , puke.

Just dont see that happening. No school is going to give a 3rd party the power to fire their staff.
Not just a 3rd party...

The proposal, part of a plan being circulated among Big Ten leaders, would give James E. Delany, who has overseen the league since 1989, and a powerful committee of conference presidents the ability to penalize individual members of an institution, should their actions significantly harm the league’s reputation.

Not just a 3rd party...

The proposal, part of a plan being circulated among Big Ten leaders, would give James E. Delany, who has overseen the league since 1989, and a powerful committee of conference presidents the ability to penalize individual members of an institution, should their actions significantly harm the league’s reputation.

good for them...bad for the SEC

I hope Dr. Gross wrote that 2013 PSU-SU game at the Meadowlands in pencil on his calender. I also hope he has begun or will begin shortly the process of a "back-up plan" for that game. I got a hunch PSU won't be available to make that date.

better not be rutgirls,if so, I might visit Sandusky that weekend...

being that the game is at the Meadowlands, finding a replacement shouldn't be difficult. I mean hell might be able to get USC again. Not sure if ND has an opening or not but they would jump on that if they did. I would think finding a replacement opponent would be easy in this instance since its a neutral field game in NYC.

This is a big article for several reasons.

The Big Ten Conference Handbook, which governs the league’s operations, does not contain language addressing a situation as egregious as what happened at Penn State.

This underscores the difficulty of figuring out what to do in this case. The problems are so severe and incomprehensible that the entire situation is sui generis. My concern has been that a necessary punishment would not be applied, since the level of punishment might fall through the cracks of existing authority.

Any Big Ten university that employs or retains workers who intentionally falsify or deliberately fail to provide complete and accurate information during an investigation may be required to “show cause why its membership in the conference should not be suspended or terminated,” the Big Ten’s 2011-12 handbook says.

Music to my ears, and a potentially powerful weapon. The implication is that in cases where an affirmative duty applies, failure to act is severely punishable. A narrow reading would suggest that this applies only in cases where an actual "investigation" occurs. I have not read the B10 Handbook, but I wonder if horrifying violations of the Clery Act qualify as a failure to provide information during an investigation. Maybe a stretch. More germane, Joe Paterno - who is the central power figure in this whole freaking mess - apparently lied to the grand jury. Was that an investigation?

“This whole situation is unprecedented,” said Sally Mason, president of the University of Iowa and chair of the Council of Presidents and Chancellors. “It’s sports-related, but there were very significant moral, legal, and institutional failures.”

Sounds like the academic leader of the B10 believes this is a football AND institutional issue. I am glad to hear that.

I don't care who brings the hammer down, just do it. Let the B10 tell PSU that they need to get back to being a University, and not a football factory. Fine by me.

This is a big article for several reasons.

The Big Ten Conference Handbook, which governs the league’s operations, does not contain language addressing a situation as egregious as what happened at Penn State.

This underscores the difficulty of figuring out what to do in this case. The problems are so severe and incomprehensible that the entire situation is sui generis. My concern has been that a necessary punishment would not be applied, since the level of punishment might fall through the cracks of existing authority.

Any Big Ten university that employs or retains workers who intentionally falsify or deliberately fail to provide complete and accurate information during an investigation may be required to “show cause why its membership in the conference should not be suspended or terminated,” the Big Ten’s 2011-12 handbook says.

Music to my ears, and a potentially powerful weapon. The implication is that in cases where an affirmative duty applies, failure to act is severely punishable. A narrow reading would suggest that this applies only in cases where an actual "investigation" occurs. I have not read the B10 Handbook, but I wonder if horrifying violations of the Clery Act qualify as a failure to provide information during an investigation. Maybe a stretch. More germane, Joe Paterno - who is the central power figure in this whole freaking mess - apparently lied to the grand jury. Was that an investigation?

“This whole situation is unprecedented,” said Sally Mason, president of the University of Iowa and chair of the Council of Presidents and Chancellors. “It’s sports-related, but there were very significant moral, legal, and institutional failures.”

Sounds like the academic leader of the B10 believes this is a football AND institutional issue. I am glad to hear that.

I don't care who brings the hammer down, just do it. Let the B10 tell PSU that they need to get back to being a University, and not a football factory. Fine by me.

Between the NCAA, B10 and DOE, I have to believe someone does the right thing and shuts this thing down for awhile.

They should just turn the power over to Roger Goodell.

At this point, I would take nothing off the table. Death Penalty...Expulsion from B1G...Slap on the wrist...

This situation could go any number of directions.

I'm a little surprised that the Big 10 is coming on so heavy. As others have said, this would be unprecedented. It's not the media have been killing the conference, they had nothing to do with this.

I'm a little surprised that the Big 10 is coming on so heavy. As others have said, this would be unprecedented. It's not the media have been killing the conference, they had nothing to do with this.
I am NOT surprised in the least. We are talking about kids being raped and a institution of higher education covering it up for close to 30 years possibly. Anyone with a child understands the seriousness of this story.

And those that say..."giving PSU the death penalty hurts the local economy" probably doesn't have kids, has their priority's just as messed up as Paterno and the people at PSU, and is missing the big picture.

If the BIG 10 actually threw these bums out of the conference or shuts down their football program in some way and acts before the NCAA does, it would actually restore my faith in college sports a bit I am not gonna lie! If the BIG 10 takes action kudos to them.

Army would do nicely. bring the whole Corp of cadets down.

It's easy for the B1G to throw Ped St. out when there are a number of other schools in line to take their place.