Biggest home sporting event in Syracuse history | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Biggest home sporting event in Syracuse history

Biggest sporting event in the Dome's history? Hasn't the Dome hosted numerous NCAA regionals, etc?

Come on, 'Cuse...if the biggest sporting event in your history is an overrated top 20 team coming to play a conference game, I'm going to lose a lot of respect. Y'all have said it again and again-you had much better games at the Dome when you were in the Big East.

Who cares about NCAA regionals from a Syracuse fan's perspective??? Our team has never played in the regionals at the Dome, so why would there be a huge anticipation of it from our fan base??? :crazy:

Duke is ranked #18 at the moment. If it was a 1 vs 2 or top 5 matchup, I could see the hype, but it isn't. I think it will be a very entertaining game, for the reasons that you mentioned. But biggest home game in Syracuse history? Come on now.

For the hundredth time, event, not game. We are having fun with it. Every little kid in this town will wear Orange to school Friday, the adults will start a bit earlier on Saturday, perhaps be a tad rowdier. Sorry if we ain't playing it cool. Not fixin' to lose y'all's respect.

Biggest sporting event in the Dome's history? Hasn't the Dome hosted numerous NCAA regionals, etc?

Come on, 'Cuse...if the biggest sporting event in your history is an overrated top 20 team coming to play a conference game, I'm going to lose a lot of respect. Y'all have said it again and again-you had much better games at the Dome when you were in the Big East.

NCAA regionals? C'mon. If the Cuse isn't playing, it's not that big.

Duke is ranked #18 at the moment. If it was a 1 vs 2 or top 5 matchup, I could see the hype, but it isn't. I think it will be a very entertaining game, for the reasons that you mentioned. But biggest home game in Syracuse history? Come on now.

It's not our fault you didn't do your part. We did. WE'RE 19-0 and #2. That's a big part of the build, slapnuts!

What I want to know is, will there be more drunkenness and debauchery? If so I might fly back to meet some of y'all.

NCAA regionals? C'mon. If the Cuse isn't playing, it's not that big.

My fault, I misread the OP. I thought he was saying it was the biggest thing that ever happened in the Dome. Personally I think hosting an NCAA regional is very exciting, but I guess that isn't what the OP was referring to.

My fault, I misread the OP. I thought he was saying it was the biggest thing that ever happened in the Dome. Personally I think hosting an NCAA regional is very exciting, but I guess that isn't what the OP was referring to.

The regionals here have always been mildly interesting to the city and the school. Easy ticket.

We are using this Duke game as an excuse to celebrate our program and our entry into the ACC. We are rolling 36K deep. If we put the court in the middle of the Dome we would have put 50K in there. It's not really about rankings and all that. I guess it's kind of an excuse to have a big party.

You a Heels fan?

The regionals here have always been mildly interesting to the city and the school. Easy ticket.

We are using this Duke game as an excuse to celebrate our program and our entry into the ACC. We are rolling 36K deep. If we put the court in the middle of the Dome we would have put 50K in there. It's not really about rankings and all that. I guess it's kind of an excuse to have a big party.

You a Heels fan?

UNC primary/Cuse secondary.

Who cares about NCAA regionals from a Syracuse fan's perspective??? Our team has never played in the regionals at the Dome, so why would there be a huge anticipation of it from our fan base??? :crazy:

Tell that to David Robinson. :bang:

IMHO, the Duke game is way over hyped. I once dreamed of Duke coming to the Dome when Paulus was playing. That would have been a HUGE deal. If Duke this year was a top five team, then yes, this could have historic potential.

As of now, it's just a a really good game with a huge crowd. Win or lose, their will be many more important games the rest of the way this year.

Not until we win it. This is a huge statement of intent on our entry in the ACC. It doesn't matter that they're not T0p 5; they have a sure-fire pro who is their version of Melo. They are still in the running for the ACC and the number 1 seed, if they beat us. It's Coach K, the biggest crowd in the history of the building, and all day on College Game Day to build up the atmosphere. The crowd will be insane. We could run them out of the building, but somehow I don't think so. But this atmosphere is like a college basketball Bowl Game.

As a fan who has been a season ticket holder since 2003, the only game that can match my excitement is 34,616. I don't care how low Duke is rated. I hate Duke. I want to run Duke off the floor on Saturday. I want Duke fans to cry leaving the Carrier Dome. I want this win so badly just to show the ACC that it's our time. I'm so effin ready.

Kind of like how we kick the crap every out of Indiana every time we meet them. That never gets old. Or beating UNC, like we've done the past couple times. Those are ALL quality wins.

Fun to reminisce about these games. What would the list be?

Football- Miami of Ohio opener, Nebraska '84, Penn St. '87, WVU '87, Miami '92, UT '98.

Basketball- '81 Big East Championship vs. Nova, UNC '84, BC '84, St. John's '85, G'town '85, G'town '89, Pitt '03, the Gerry game '06

Lax- Upenn '88 (Air Gait)

Obviously there have been dozens more great games but those seem to be the iconic ones. I'd love to hear any others that belong on this list. And anyone who attended all these gets iconic status as well. And has lead a full life.
Everyone you have on there 1987 or before I was there.
2 on the fringe. Houston in 82, Oklahoma in 83 ,Hoops, Phi-Slamma-Jamma and Waymon Tisdale. Home NIT games in '81 vs Holy Cross ,Mich and Marquette (w/Doc rivers and yes it was a big deal)
Football-Flutie game his Heisman year. Great game , we won. We were just starting to learn how to play.

I was at the first football game in the Dome. It was like any other big football game.

Except that people were amazed that Syracuse --- the school and the City --- could ever pull anything like that off.

You had to have spent Saturdays in Archbold to grasp the amount of difference.
And they even bowed to tradition and carried over the Archbold pee-troughs to the Dome. Though they upgraded from porcelain to polished stainless.

It certainly has to rank near the top of the "most anticipated" list. Ever since we joined the ACC (not as an actual member, but since the announcement) this is the game people have been talking about. It's 2+ solid years of buildup.

The best Dome event for me was when we beat Florida back in the early 90's, when Kirby Dar Dar took a reverse on the opening kickoff to the house. It was the loudest I've ever heard it. Florida was undefeated & ranked 2nd. We were a top 20 team, so we weren't chopped liver either. We won easily, something like 35-13!
38-21

1992 Footbal versus Miami. Dome was packed an hour before the game for warmups. Have never seen a crowd that amped for a game one hour before it started.

For those who were there, what was the first football game in the Carrier Dome like?

And first basketball game for that matter.

I remember being very excited about the first indoor football game, and it being very, very HOT inside. They even made an announcement over the PA telling people to be careful walking up and down the aisles because of beer/water being spilled. People were even saying it wasn't beer/water but sweat. Very funny.

I wasn't too thrilled about the first basketball game at the Dome, since I had floor seats at Manley (mother worked in the athletic department). Thought the Dome was TOO BIG for basketball and my new seats seemed like a mile away from the court, but it turned out for the better I think.

JB's 300th win, a 105-63 route of St. Francis on 12/30/88. Was the first home game after the tragic loss of many in the SU family. There was a game on the day of, a very emotional one as news still trickled in. The game against St Francis had a very special vibe in the dome that day. May not have set an attendence record(29,798), but truly was one of the biggest sporting events and support for SU we have seen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom