Biggest reason for recruiting woes | Syracusefan.com

Biggest reason for recruiting woes

What is the biggest single reason for SU's recruiting difficulties?

• Sanctions

Votes: 36 43.9%
  • JB's age

Votes: 21 25.6%
  • Hopkins departure

Votes: 9 11.0%
  • 100% zone

Votes: 16 19.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JazzNC

Starter
I know that all of these are factors affecting recruiting, but if you had to identify the BIGGEST reason for the recruiting difficulties what would you choose?

I chose Hop's departure but what I really meant was his (and JB's) lack of involvement in recruiting last year. Seems like staff were not all on the same page last year on recruiting - including only having 2 coaches available to be on the road and deciding that our top 2 coaches would not be them. I know I'm beating a dead horse on that.

All of the above.

Teams have plenty of ammo to throw at us. Plenty. 2017, all anyone had to say was JB's retiring, Hopkins is looking elsewhere, sanctions.

The only way to fix this is JB bringing a team back into march, and not only that but slapping some ACC Tourney w's down as well.

E. All of the above.

But do we really need a third thread to discuss the recruiting woes!!!???

I didn't want another thread for discussion, I just wanted a measurable gauge of what people really thought the biggest reason was, and how many people would choose sanctions. I'm totally cool with resuming the talk on other threads.

I will pick JB's age because I think that has some affect. The other affect is that last cycle we were unlucky. If UK gets their man in Young and Duke gets there guy in Knox then we have Quade Green and Jordan Tucker to go along with Brissett and Sidibe which would be our best class in a long time. Having said that I still think HW will develop into a solid player and hopefully Marek is really solid (hard to gauge with the lack of tape).

I'm sure recruits are finding deficiencies in SU's senior level course offerings, thus reducing their prospects for grad school opportunities.
We'd better get that fixed soon.
You jest, I'm sure. But at SU, they have to go to class. Simple as that. If they aren't interested in that, they can go to UK or L'Ville.

I'm sure recruits are finding deficiencies in SU's senior level course offerings, thus reducing their prospects for grad school opportunities.
We'd better get that fixed soon.
Finally someone nailed it.

Three things have impacted recruiting:
1. One and done - higher stakes on getting on the right team, with the right visibility, good playing time and the right coach
2. Syracuse raising recruiting profile with Hopkins, Melo Center and potential international trips on USA or other teams, so that high caliber recruits are initially very positive about coming to SU
3. Success of other schools such as Kentucky, Duke and Kansas in promoting one and done.

The net effect is last minute losses to schools (#3) that are able to meet #1 best at decision time - and often that is very late in the recruiting process when decisions to stay in the draft are made by players on the roster already.
Hopkins leaving has had an additional detrimental effect.

Three things have impacted recruiting:
1. One and done - higher stakes on getting on the right team, with the right visibility, good playing time and the right coach
2. Syracuse raising recruiting profile with Hopkins, Melo Center and potential international trips on USA or other teams, so that high caliber recruits are initially very positive about coming to SU
3. Success of other schools such as Kentucky, Duke and Kansas in promoting one and done.

The net effect is last minute losses to schools (#3) that are able to meet #1 best at decision time - and often that is very late in the recruiting process when decisions to stay in the draft are made by players on the roster already.
Hopkins leaving has had an additional detrimental effect.
One could argue that if #1 is important to a kid, we should get him. Based upon recent draft success. Ennis and Richardson had no business being in the first round, based upon rankings and draft projections. But, Syracuse was able to highlight them in a way few other schools could and boom, they are one and done.

I'm happy to eat crow, and already posted that in the Bazely thread. I think we're off to a great start with the 2018 class.

But, as many pointed out that losing Swider didn't mean the sky is falling, the same is true with Bazely. Signing one recruit doesn't mean that all of the worries are gone.

Signing Bazely does make me more optimistic. 2018 is our best chance to get a big class because if we don't 2019 will be one year closer to the end of JB's tenure. So let's celebrate the moment and go nail down our best class in years! Go Orange!!!!!

I'm happy to eat crow, and already posted that in the Bazely thread. I think we're off to a great start with the 2018 class.

But, as many pointed out that losing Swider didn't mean the sky is falling, the same is true with Bazely. Signing one recruit doesn't mean that all of the worries are gone.

Signing Bazely does make me more optimistic. 2018 is our best chance to get a big class because if we don't 2019 will be one year closer to the end of JB's tenure. So let's celebrate the moment and go nail down our best class in years! Go Orange!!!!!
A little constructive criticism is fine, but this is a fan site. It isn't a bitch and moan site. It irks me to see a number of negative threads on our beloved syracusefan site. We need a separate area where people can let off steam. Kind of like I just did.

A little constructive criticism is fine, but this is a fan site. It isn't a bitch and moan site. It irks me to see a number of negative threads on our beloved syracusefan site. We need a separate area where people can let off steam. Kind of like I just did.

I have no issue with people that bring concerns or criticism to the table if it can be substantiated with facts. Otherwise, I'm with you, it's just spouting off which truly doesn't serve anyone.

Can I choose the woes are overblown as a write in vote, and we did pretty well?

*Did, and are doing.

After 2018, 2019 will be one year closer to the end of Coachs tenure no matter what.

Momentum is definitely a thing though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom