Biggest road game since 2003 tomorrow? | Syracusefan.com

Biggest road game since 2003 tomorrow?

PoppyHart

All American
If we win tomorrow, it would likely be the most significant road win since Michigan State in 2003, and that was a pretty good harbinger.

There have been other big wins at the time, such as Louisville last year, but none have come in a game with a conference title in sight.

If we win tomorrow, it would likely be the most significant road win since Michigan State in 2003, and that was a pretty good harbinger.

There have been other big wins at the time, such as Louisville last year, but none have come in a game with a conference title in sight.
images

Poppyhart is right! This is a huge game with huge implications. Although we can rationalize a loss, and say in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter (like Tyler said), winning the ACC regular season would be a great coup for us (like CJ said). There is great agitation now in ACC land.

Also, I must say I am happy that Virginia is having a good season. They have continually been down to the N Carolina schools, and I admire the underdog who perseveres. I take it as a compliment that they are going all out for this game, just as we went all out for Duke. And I think we could lose. We are perceived as stumbling. Wouldn't it be fantastic if we could beat Virginia - a very good team - by FIVE points? Laugh at me if you will, but I dare to dream!

Poppyhart is right! This is a huge game with huge implications. Although we can rationalize a loss, and say in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter (like Tyler said), winning the ACC regular season would be a great coup for us (like CJ said). There is great agitation now in ACC land.

Also, I must say I am happy that Virginia is having a good season. They have continually been down to the N Carolina schools, and I admire the underdog who perseveres. I take it as a compliment that they are going all out for this game, just as we went all out for Duke. And I think we could lose. We are perceived as stumbling. Wouldn't it be fantastic if we could beat Virginia - a very good team - by FIVE points? Laugh at me if you will, but I dare to dream!
I'll see your 5 and raise you 7.

The win @ Duke would've been the biggest road win since MSU. For many reasons IMO.

This is a huge road game and ranks up there, but not as the most important. Just my opinion.

More often than not we rise to the occasion (to use a cliché). I'm counting on it.

Don't see this as a big game for some reason. We are a lock for 1-2 seed in the tourney and already have the double bye in the ACCT. With only 2 losses so far this is just another game for us. I will be extremely pleased if we win but will not go off the deep end if we don't..

Poppy what the heck are you thinking. Syracuse won LAST YEAR at number 1 Louisville. We win big games on the road practically every year.

I know. I said we've had wins that were huge "at the time", like Louisville last year. Unfortunately, since we were ultimately the 5 seed in the conference it didn't really turn out as meaningful. We've had other huge games as well for seeding or symbolic purposes (at Louisville in 2010, at Gtown in 2013, and lost.) Marquette in 2009 was important I suppose for momentum purposes. This one tomorrow has a lot more riding on it.

Don't see this as a big game for some reason. We are a lock for 1-2 seed in the tourney and already have the double bye in the ACCT. With only 2 losses so far this is just another game for us. I will be extremely pleased if we win but will not go off the deep end if we don't..

This is not a "do or die" game for us based on our record. However, I disagree about it not being a "big game". I would hazard to guess that JB wants to win this game so bad in hopes of putting a possible lock on the ACC regular season. Don't ever underestimate how he feels about conference play. For example, last year he would have loved to win The Big East considering the upcoming conference change. I certainly hope the players feel the same way. This will be a tough game in a tough environment. I certainly want to see us play better, regardless of the outcome.

this is the equivalent of playing Carleton in Ottawa, and I reckon we'll see a similar result

I can't believe how little importance people place on a conference title. Not that we can win it tomorrow, but we certainly can lose it.

the only thing on the line is the #1 seed in the ACCT, and I despise conference tournaments, so I don't give a . . . hoo

the only thing that matters is Dallas. Sure, MSG would be nice and might make the road easier (although, I suspect if we get MSG we also get Louisville in our bracket, and they are the team I least want to face), but SU will have at least a 2 seed in the NCAAT, and this team is good enough to march to Jerry's World with a typical 2 seed draw.

Doesn't seem right to me either. But offhand it's hard to think of many besides Dook.
Preventing a must-win for MSG in the ACCT semi's in what will probably be a pick 'em game is big to me, even if the Reg. Season title is just sort of whatever (or non-existent).
I do think it's bigger than L'ville. I personally never get too amped about road games when I know we're getting a rematch in the dome later, but maybe that's just me.

I can see what OP is saying; I can't remember the last time when we were pretty much playing in a defacto championship game for the regular season conference title.

The reality is that no one remembers who won a regular season conference title. What is remembered is the conference tournament winner and even more importantly, what you did in the big dance.

I'm not feeling it. Maybe if it was the final game of the conference schedule and winner-take-all, but it isn't and there isn't anything really to take either since the ACC doesn't recognize a regular season champion. It's a big game, but it doesn't feel any bigger to me than our game at Pitt. Our game at Duke felt bigger than that. I would honestly put this game on par with the game at St. John's this year. It is more important to me to maintain dominance over St. Johns in the Garden - thus keeping tight grip on NY's Team designation than it is to win this game tomorrow.

Since when is UVA anything special

Trueblue25 said:
Since when is UVA anything special

When they busted out with a impressive in conference record and even with our magical season we're behind then in conference.

I don't know what discrediting them really accomplishes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom