Biggest SU Supporter --Doug Gottlieb? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Biggest SU Supporter --Doug Gottlieb?

hes always been good... the problem was the people who mistook critical comments for an agenda.

He definitely had an agenda when he was at ESPN. Less so with CBS, until his anti-Boeheim column. After that, I think he realized he sounded like a creepy stalker and has toned down the criticism ever since. Perhaps that led him to view the team more objectively.

If you really objectively listen to what he has to say, without a preconceived notion that he is going to anti-Syracuse, he is one of the most knowledgeable commentators on the air. He is not afraid to be critical of teams or to call a spade a spade. Granted he does rip Syracuse at times. But, that doesn't automatically make him wrong.

Since he switched to CBS, I would concur. But no matter who he's criticizing, he tends to stab and twist the knife. He knows those moments that piss off a fan base and he loves mentioning them.

I'll just say this about Gottlieb for the 47th and probably not the last time:
Who you schedule in Nov/Dec has nothing to do with March. See Thursday night. I'd like to hear him address this and admit he likes to troll at times.
But yah as far as X's&O's and knowledge of the college game he's obviously better than Kenny/Chuck/Davis tenfold.

Kenny Smith is a complete douchebag and so is Barkey

This is what they do EVERY GAME:

Pre-Game: They will be able to bust up that zone, they have the shooters (inside players) to stretch it out.

Halftime: They're adjusting, they're going to hit shots in the second half.

Post-Game: You see the thing about this zone is...

Quit acting like u know anything about this zone, every pre-game you act like teams are going to destroy it, and then u spend the post-game talking like u understood the whole time why it works.

Yeah but "Gottlieb sucks". Maybe he just tells it like it is.

44cuse

hes always been good... the problem was the people who mistook critical comments for an agenda.
Amen.
The guy does endless preparation, knows his stuff and speaks his mind.
Unfortunately, people take negative comments about their team as indicative of some kind of bias.

Gottlieb watches games and pays attention. Whether or not you like him or agree with him, you have to give him some credit for always doing his homework. Watching Smith and Barkley butcher their way through the pre-game was embarrassing. CBS should be ashamed of itself for having those clowns on there. Smith trying to argue that the zone was nothing special and the only reason SU was playing well was because they have good players, regardless of what D they played, made little to no sense. Yeah, the players are good, but they are absolutely perfect fits for this defense and wouldn't be nearly as successful in a man D. The zone at this point is as good as any defense in the country. Only Louisville's harassment is equal/better.

Doug has been a believer in this team longer than most on this board.

At our lowest point at the end of the season he made a comment about how Michigan and Syracuse would benefit from getting out of conference play in the tournament

This is what they do EVERY GAME:

Pre-Game: They will be able to bust up that zone, they have the shooters (inside players) to stretch it out.

Halftime: They're adjusting, they're going to hit shots in the second half.

Post-Game: You see the thing about this zone is...

Quit acting like u know anything about this zone, every pre-game you act like teams are going to destroy it, and then u spend the post-game talking like u understood the whole time why it works.

They are old school basketball guys, they have zero respect for zone defense. In some ways this highlights the courage (if you want to call it that) that it has taken JB to stick with this defense for so many years. Nobody from the "industry" respects it, everyone questions it and looks down on it. And this is the people on the inside, not just griping fans.

Regardless if others gush because Dougie said a few nice things lately, I still don't care for the guy. Against IU the other night, he had a Brandon Triche comment loaded and just waiting... how it was "personal for BT, because it was his uncle who was guarding Keith Smart on The Shot(tm)". I think that comment was out of line even if not from Doug, but being from him made me dislike it even more. Maybe it's just me though?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom