Bilas was not terribly impressed... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Bilas was not terribly impressed...

On the foul shooting while 23-24 is an anomaly they did shoot 81% the night before at 22 for 27 I think. So maybe they're trending up. If they can shoot 75% as a team that would be nice.

Right now, Fair, Ennis, Cooney and Rak are all over 80%. Keita's at 75%. It's Coleman and Grant that bring it down.

Overall these are two good wins for this team. The #8 ranking is inflated but this is a team still trying to find itself and as I think Bilas said last night, Boeheim’s still trying to figure the pieces and parts out. I think that’s pretty evident.

Last edited:
I'm not so sure I'd label Kravish being in foul trouble as something "that went right for us". That just doesn't happen.

Kravish didn't plan to foul out, he fouled out b/c our players did a good job of keeping the pressure up around him and therefore causing him to get into foul trouble.
exactly we are going to see a lot of the "Kravish's" in foul trouble this year because our front line is so beastly

a
On the foul shooting while 23-24 is an anomaly they did shoot 81% the night before at 22 for 27 I think. So maybe they're trending up. If they can shoot 75% as a team that would be nice.

Right now, Fair, Ennis, Cooney and Rak are all over 80%. Keita's at 75%. It's Coleman and Grant that bring it down.
and Grant was 5-6 yesterday, hopefully that is trending up as well!

Overall these are two good wins for this team. The #8 ranking is inflated. This is a team still trying to find itself and as I think Bilas said last night, Boeheim’s still trying to figure the pieces and parts out. I think that’s pretty evident.
I don't think it's an anomaly that the last two games were played in a tiny gym with soft rims and our other games have been played in a cavernous arena. Not a knock on the Dome, but it does make a difference.

I think Bilas has been a lot nicer to Orange nation over the last two years. Maybe JB has finally won him over.

I thought Bilas's comment about Grant's put back slam down dunk was very funny, "I'm surprised he did not burn up on re-entry!"

I think Bilas has been a lot nicer to Orange nation over the last two years. Maybe JB has finally won him over.

I thought Bilas's comment about Grant's put back slam down dunk was very funny, "I'm surprised he did not burn up on re-entry!"

My favorite line too. You guys cracking on Bilas tell me this: who's better? He's great and if the general population had any complaints about him it'd probably be that he's a possible Cuse homer.

It's our 6th with a freshman point guard. Let's give them a little time time gel
Funny thing I do not even think of him as a freshmen. Really haven't since day 1.

My favorite line too. You guys cracking on Bilas tell me this: who's better? He's great and if the general population had any complaints about him it'd probably be that he's a possible Cuse homer.

I think a lot of the sports broadcasters shifted a little in attitude once JB broke 900 wins. People are realizing there's more to JB's coaching than just 2-3 zone and playing cream puffs in December.

Plus , some of his "schtick" is to poke McDonough about SU. That flavors some of this.

Bilas and McDononough are my favorite team, no question, but I think their interpersonal schtick is suffering a bit from missing Raftery. There were times last night it seemed like they were trying to mock each other or themselves when, in the past, Raftery would have been in the middle. One in particular was McDononough saying Bilas is a "glass always empty" guy. That sounded like a line directed at Raftery that he had to use on Bilas even though I've never heard about Bilas being a big drinker.

Plus , some of his "schtick" is to poke McDonough about SU. That flavors some of this.
Definitely. And, Bilas and JB have been on good to close terms ever since JB tried to recruit him to play for the Cuse.

Dave85 said:
I think Bilas has been a lot nicer to Orange nation over the last two years. Maybe JB has finally won him over. I thought Bilas's comment about Grant's put back slam down dunk was very funny, "I'm surprised he did not burn up on re-entry!"

JB has finally won over Bilas? Bilas has been a JB supporter for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Overall these are two good wins for this team. The #8 ranking is inflated. This is a team still trying to find itself and as I think Bilas said last night, Boeheim’s still trying to figure the pieces and parts out. I think that’s pretty evident.
We'll see what this team does tonight against a ranked team but doesnt it seem that everyone's ranking could be "inflated"? Duke, UK, MSU have all had the same issues we've had. Played bad against lesser competition but stepped up and played well against good competition.

We'll see what this team does tonight against a ranked team but doesnt it seem that everyone's ranking could be "inflated"? Duke, UK, MSU have all had the same issues we've had. Played bad against lesser competition but stepped up and played well against good competition.

that's true, and I think what this season has shown so far is a lot of parity. I don't know if our #8 is inflated because of the parity.

One thing I worry about is scoring. I think we're going to have a lot of droughts and CJ trying to 'get his' worries me a bit.

I think we go as Ennis goes though. This team's a whole lot different if he's scoring 20 every night. It just opens everything else up.

All I care about at this point in the season is whether they're progressing: getting better each game, improving chemistry as a team, and finding their identity as a team. Still a work in progress, but the Cal game was a breakout in several directions -- Ennis, Cooney, Grant, and free throws. Growth is good.-VBOF

Bilas didn't seem any different in his commentary or analysis, he called it as he saw it and pointed out our team's flaws- and there were many. Its early, EVERY team in the country is struggling at times, upsets galore- yet we're undefeated and getting better every game.
A little constructive criticism from an objective source is par for the course. Total non-issue, IMO. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
+10

You sound like you thought it would be bad.

Those two turnovers came at a bad time and colored his judgment of Cooney's performance over the course of the whole game.

Just finished watching the replay. Good win that will look even better come tourney selection time. But they had an awful lot go right for them tonight. No Solomon. Kravish with foul trouble, which allowed for Ennis and Grant to score a bunch of no-contest buckets inside. 23-24 is an anomaly and not a trend. On the flipside, that fast break d is pretty scary bad right now. Those two straight giveaways by Cooney early in the second were ugly. I'd love to see his plus/minus rating. CJ has been forcing a lot of shots. He's not looking comfortable with all this extra attention. Hopefully that gets better as the season goes on.
Ya, Bilas said they couldn't score either, 90 points isn't enough

IthacaMatt said:
Those two turnovers came at a bad time and colored his judgment of Cooney's performance over the course of the whole game.

Someone in chat said after those 2 turnovers that he now owed us 2 threes. He went on and hit the next 4. Glad to see he didn't let the mistakes get in his head.

Last edited:
And Raf...

yes. especially the RAF. as noted above the "glass half empty" reference was well… "mostly empty" without him there. and as to the original point of this thread i will agree that jay bilas sounded a bit testy towards us. a bit unusual i agree but it was definitely there. and the raf was missed.

and he was gushing about Grant during his 2nd half flourish, too...
He seemed to be (understandably) underwhelmed by our defense and rebounding
With the way games are now being officiated, the move to the ACC and this year's roster, I think this SU team will have plenty of games like this (competitive, high-scoring, close throughout). While I believe the team will improve defensively over time, they will not win a lot games primarily with their defense, as we have seen in the last five years. As long as CJ has a few guys step up each night to help carry the scoring burden, and the offensive rebounding is there, the train will keep moving.

yes especially the RAF. as noted above the "glass half empty" reference was well... "half empty" without him there. and as to the original point of this thread i will agree that jay bilas sounded a bit testy towards us. unusual but it was there.
Funny Raf comment on the radio. McDonough said that when it was announced that Raf wasn't doing Maui, several bars closed because Raf's visit for Maui was what kept them in business all year.