Bill requiring Iowa, ISU to give millions to UNI | Syracusefan.com

Bill requiring Iowa, ISU to give millions to UNI

I agree with the writer's sentiment. I believe he could have made much stronger arguments had he put a little more effort into the article (to the writer's defense, he may have and it may have been trimmed down). Still, he made enough sense to make his point.

I'm shocked that Northern Iowa is allowed by their legislature to use school money for athletics. It's a bit different for UVa and VPI. Neither of us are allowed to use funds raised by the school for athletics. I can assure you that UVa has much better uses for the meager 8% of our budget (up from 7%, a 14% increase!!!!!!) than athletics. All athletic scholarship money is raised by the Virginia Athletics Foundation and not from financial aid office funds. Both of us subsidize the D-1AA schools in the state with big checks for playing them in football. Some years ago, the first plans for taking UVa private began when the then-governor wanted to take the money we raise for the school and divide it among all the schools in the state. I wouldn't do it over athletics, but if another governor tried it over school funding there'd be little to no opposition to going private among UVa alums.

(Just like Cornell and SU do for SUNY, the basic plan was to operate some schools under contract with the state while the liberal arts and business schools would be private. You probably served as the model.)