Billy Donovan, JB, OKC | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Billy Donovan, JB, OKC

Nail meet head. This encapsulates my opinion on the matter. Donovan would def see Cuse as an attractive college coaching job offer, if we’re willing to pay him. No doubt. He grew up in NYC. And we’re a national brand program in the best b-ball conference with a rich history, a rabid national fan following, and one of the most profitable and highest spending college b-ball programs with the biggest arena (which is about to get a major upgrade). However, if he did want to return to college, we’d be behind Duke, UK, UNC and KU in the pecking order—and as you said, they might all be looking for new coaches around the same time. After that, though, all bets are off. Louisville would also beat us out, but they have Chris Mack locked up long term. I think we’d even beat out Indiana and UCLA because of their baggage and BD’s roots in the Northeast.

You’ve got it. Tired of these Costanza posts acting like we’re St. John’s.

Not disputing that our basketball program is wealthy but I find it highly unlikely SU is going to pay a coach Kentucky money or get in a bidding war with other schools. A more realistic hope for me is that Patrick Beilein kills it at Niagara and is interested in SU after JB retires. Chance of SU luring a J Wright or Billy Donovan type coach are near zero.
Jay Wright isn’t realistic because he already has a good college job at a program he rebuilt/turned into a power. Donovan is in the NBA. Coming back to college he’d be starting over. And at SU there wouldn’t be much of a rebuild assuming JB keeps it going.

let's swap. send JB to OKC to get them straightened out and we'll take billy.

You’ve got it. Tired of these Costanza posts acting like we’re St. John’s.

We're talking about Syracuse's ability and willingness to pay a marquee coach an undiscounted marquee salary. You are right, we're not even like St. John's. St. John's has paid some guys big money over the years; Mullin, Lavin and Jarvis.

SU has never demonstrated a desire or ability to invest "crazy" money in its coaching staff. Donovan isn't coming to Syracuse for a discounted salary and coming from the NBA he is a marquee name.

1. Calipari, UK $9.7 million
2. Krzyzewski, Duke $7.04 million
3. Izzo, MSU $4.3 million
4. Bennett, UVA $4.15 million
5. Self, KU $4.9 million
6. Mack, UL $4.007 million
7. Williams, UNC $3.9 million
8. Wright, VU $3.878 million
9. Huggins, WVU $3.76 million
10. Beilein, UM $3.8 million
11. Krystkowiak, Utah $3.572 million
12. Marshall, WSU $3.57 million
13. Miller, IU $3.25 million
14. Barnes, UT $3.25 million
15. Smart, TX $3.2 million
16. Crean, GA $3.2 million

32. Boeheim, SU $2.695 million

USA TODAY Sports

SU has had the same coach for 500 years and is a much different program in a much different place than they were the last time the job was open.

Yeah, it’s not like we’ve ever had to pay “market rate” for JB, and he’s never demanded it, so there you are.
Why pay more?

That said, you bet your arse that Wildhack knows he won’t get the next guy for a hometown discount, so I’m sure we will be ready, willing, and able to pay market rate for a quality coach.

Just like we have done with Dino. :cool:

Last edited:
We're talking about Syracuse's ability and willingness to pay a marquee coach an undiscounted marquee salary. You are right, we're not even like St. John's. St. John's has paid some guys big money over the years; Mullin, Lavin and Jarvis.

SU has never demonstrated a desire or ability to invest "crazy" money in its coaching staff. Donovan isn't coming to Syracuse for a discounted salary and coming from the NBA he is a marquee name.

5. Self, KU $4.9 million

USA TODAY Sports
No we’re not going to be paying a top 5 salary like K and Cal. But it’s laughable that you think Cuse wouldn’t easily and willingly pay the new guy as much as Huggins is making at WVU right now. Right now we’re getting the JB hometown/lifer discount because he’s been here forever and has dedicated his life to this place. SU has already dramatically increased his salary in the past few years in order to prepare themselves for the reality of what’s to come. We will pay the new guy a top 10 salary—if he’s a major name hire who’d pull that amount in on an open market. Wildhack knows the score.

5. Self, KU $4.9 million

USA TODAY Sports

We just paid the football coach to stay.

This isn't the age of Jake and Buzz Shaw. Also I bet JB makes more than that as his salary info usually comes out 2 years after the fact and SU never discloses it because they are private.

5. Self, KU $4.9 million

USA TODAY Sports

That is true.

But it is also a function of JB not seeking to "maximize" his value, and feeling that he's paid enough. SU has clearly benefited from that -- it isn't due to lack of "willingness" to pay.

And in terms of "ability" to pay, that situation has changed as a function of ACC revenue sharing.

For the next coach, there won't be a home town discount -- we're going to have to open the coffers. And thank god we have the revenue to do so.

That is true.

But it is also a function of JB not seeking to "maximize" his value, and feeling that he's paid enough. SU has clearly benefited from that -- it isn't due to lack of "willingness" to pay.

And in terms of "ability" to pay, that situation has changed as a function of ACC revenue sharing.

For the next coach, there won't be a home town discount -- we're going to have to open the coffers. And thank god we have the revenue to do so.

I guess my argument is we really have no idea what SU “is willing to pay” a new hire, because we don’t have any evidence that the are willing to pay to entice a coaching “name” to come here. I think that’s true in all sports, although not sure where Gerg’s salary ranked at the time.

The amount JB is getting today isn’t entirely relevant for a variety of reasons including because he was a known commodity when it was given to him and also because he never beat them up for a market rate.

Similarly Dino’s extension probably isn’t 100% relevant because he had proven something here by the time he was extended and had decent fan support.

So thats part of the reason I’m not convinced we’re going to drop the money required to lure a name to the Dome.

I guess my argument is we really have no idea what SU “is willing to pay” a new hire, because we don’t have any evidence that the are willing to pay to entice a coaching “name” to come here. I think that’s true in all sports, although not sure where Gerg’s salary ranked at the time.

The amount JB is getting today isn’t entirely relevant for a variety of reasons including because he was a known commodity when it was given to him and also because he never beat them up for a market rate.

Similarly Dino’s extension probably isn’t 100% relevant because he had proven something here by the time he was extended and had decent fan support.

So thats part of the reason I’m not convinced we’re going to drop the money required to lure a name to the Dome.

I see where you're coming from, but I disagree -- we paid money for Dino, and then we upped the ante when he showed that he has the chops. We're also funding infrastructure enhancements, giving him the resources he needs to compete at a high level, and increasing what he is able to offer his ACs so that he can keep his high performing team together. In my view, that's a clear indication that the University, Chancellor, and AD are willing to invest appropriately.

ACC revenue is giving the University the wherewithal and flexibility to pay more for top coaching candidates. By no means am I suggesting that it is an unlimited pile of money, but it is far different than the resources we had at our disposal 5-10 years ago [when Gross was mortgaging home games for cash in order to fund the athletic department].

And I believe that the AD understands the adage that you get what you pay for -- which is why I expect them to spare no expense when it comes time to replace JB.

Last edited:
SU has had the same coach for 500 years and is a much different program in a much different place than they were the last time the job was open.

Seriously. New AD, ACC money, haven't even had to sniff a basketball coach decision. No one knows what we will do. But any historic thoughts about how SU hires coaches can be thrown out the window.

It will be fascinating, because this is a heavyweight program who has only had 1 coach. One who isn't going away until he decides, and even then, will still be a looming presence over the program.

5. Self, KU $4.9 million

USA TODAY Sports
Well, I feel like this admin just paid a football coach...so this might not be the same Cuse. Although I am afraid that they are just going to hand the reigns over to someone already on staff.

The current university and athletic dept leadership know that basketball is the golden cow (one of the most profitable programs in all of CBB) and will pay a top coach accordingly to keep the revenue rolling in. They learned from the mistakes made in allowing the football program (under diff leadership) to decline the way it did. Plus, new ACC TV revenue has changed the game.

Last edited:
paying JB more is not going to put more butts in the seats. in fact it would have zero impact on the program .
money at this point in his career ain't going to "motivate" him more . next younger hire is a different story.

paying JB more is not going to put more butts in the seats. in fact it would have zero impact on the program .
money at this point in his career ain't going to "motivate" him more . next younger hire is a different story.

Who said anything about paying JB more?

pretty sure this whole convo is about who takes over for JB

Go all in on bringing Hop back. I have no doubt he would love to be home. Didn’t someone say his family missed it here. Exceptional coach and a better man. I have a friend who says he will come back. I hope so.
Agreed. Open the vault

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom