Bizarre hire at Coppin State | Syracusefan.com

Bizarre hire at Coppin State

Frozen

2022 Cali Winner (Rushing Yards)
Former Maryland star Juan Dixon was named the HC at Coppin State. From the school's website:

Dixon comes to Baltimore from the University of the District of Columbia, where he posted a 3-25 record in his only season with the Firebirds women's basketball team in 2016-17.

How do you justify hiring a guy who went 3-25, coaching a women's team in his only season as a head coach, to be the men's coach at your school? Makes no sense to me.

Juan Dixon Named Head Men's Basketball Coach at Coppin State

Coppin State doesn't have people knocking down the doors to coach there. Dixon has D1 experience on Turgeon's staff for three years prior to coaching women's basketball at the D2 level. As a program that has one winning season in the last fourteen, its worth a shot to take a flyer on him.

Coppin State doesn't have people knocking down the doors to coach there. Dixon has D1 experience on Turgeon's staff for three years prior to coaching women's basketball at the D2 level. As a program that has one winning season in the last fourteen, its worth a shot to take a flyer on him.

Wha? Coaching's an extremely competitive industry; there are hundreds of people, all more qualified than Juan Dixon, who have lived in half a dozen cities in the last decade making peanuts just waiting for an opportunity like Coppin State (or any D-I job).

Gotta be something we don't know about Dixon and the school. Maybe he can build some local buzz or there's a quid pro quo with a local AAU team or group of high school coaches.

Wha? Coaching's an extremely competitive industry; there are hundreds of people, all more qualified than Juan Dixon, who have lived in half a dozen cities in the last decade making peanuts just waiting for an opportunity like Coppin State (or any D-I job).

Gotta be something we don't know about Dixon and the school. Maybe he can build some local buzz or there's a quid pro quo with a local AAU team or group of high school coaches.

Correct. I would think a longtime assistant would be a better choice than a guy who has been a HC for one season and only won three games.

Correct. I would think a longtime assistant would be a better choice than a guy who has been a HC for one season and only won three games.

Mind you, 3 games is about what our fans predict Boeheim will win next year so maybe this isn't so bad.

Mind you, 3 games is about what our fans predict Boeheim will win next year so maybe this isn't so bad.

And, it's only one W less than what Hop managed while filling in for JB. ;)

I'm guessing they might be thinking he'll recruit b'more well and maybe work out with Turgeon to scoop up some solid transfers from time to time. I mean that's got to be the theory I would think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom