BJ Johnson, Come On Down! | Syracusefan.com

BJ Johnson, Come On Down!

I will keep saying, as tough of a blow this is.

Just beat the teams we are better than (which I still think we can) and most of the teams we are equal too (which just became a little tougher, but still think capable of)

and we can still dance in the NCAA Tournament.

Will be interesting to see if BJ has been under utilized up to now. With increased playing time is he ready to contribute in a meaningful way? We'll start to find an answer to that question tomorrow night. He looked good in his summer play abroad but hasn't translated to this season. With guaranteed playing time he should be able to relax and let the game come to him a little more. Tough when you know if you miss a couple shots or miss a defensive assignment you're getting yanked from the game. I think we will see a different BJ Johnson going forward. Wouldn't that be nice!

Will be interesting to see if BJ has been under utilized up to now. With increased playing time is he ready to contribute in a meaningful way? We'll start to find an answer to that question tomorrow night. He looked good in his summer play abroad but hasn't translated to this season. With guaranteed playing time he should be able to relax and let the game come to him a little more. Tough when you know if you miss a couple shots or miss a defensive assignment you're getting yanked from the game. I think we will see a different BJ Johnson going forward. Wouldn't that be nice!
At the same time, he's missed a lot of shots, and a lot of defensive assignments.

What this means more than anything is that our rotation will be:

Joseph
Cooney
Gbinije
Roberson
Christmas
Patterson
Johnson
Chino

...and just hope the starting five can stay out of foul trouble and avoid injury.

Orangejunkie, my thoughts exactly!

Yes, he could use more strength and yes he will get pushed around some, but I think for all of the reasons you stated above that he may do very well. He has a lot of game.

My thoughts exactly! Yes, he could use more strength and yes he will get pushed around some, but I think for all of the reasons you stated above that he may do very well. He has a lot of game.
I want to believe he has a lot of game.

But I haven't seen much evidence of that on the court yet. I'm not sure why people keep insisting he's got so much game based on what we've actually seen from him.

So if he gets a shot, it needs to be legit. None of this stuff where he comes in and a guy hits a three from the opposite side of the court from where he is and he gets pulled.

So if he gets a shot, it needs to be legit. None of this stuff where he comes in and a guy hits a three from the opposite side of the court from where he is and he gets pulled.
I know you're exaggerating but let's be fair here. He's gotten pretty abused defensively this season.

But I haven't seen much evidence of that on the court yet. I'm not sure why people keep insisting he's got so much game based on what we've actually seen from him.

He has very good instincts around the basket and possesses a very nice touch. He can also rebound the ball. What I am hypothesizing is that as Orangejunkie said, without the threat of a quick pull, he may be better able to let the game come to him instead of thinking "don't screw up". He also had a very nice summer. All of these things give me hope for BJ.

BJ's defense has been subpar. He's shown to be very poor at the slides, in particular...but he is long and athletic and, in theory, could develop into a good defender. Let's hope he sees the strides Tyler has made on that defensive end and follows suit.

If BJ can play D he'll get some run even if he's putting up bricks. If his bad defense continues he'll ride the pine unless there's an emergency.

Regarding his defense, it may just take a little game time. TR wasn't all that hot early on either but I'm seeing signs of him getting better. I'm hoping the same for BJ.

He has very good instincts around the basket and possesses a very nice touch. He can also rebound the ball. What I am hypothesizing is that as Orangejunkie said, without the threat of a quick pull, he may be better able to let the game come to him instead of thinking "don't screw up". He also had a very nice summer. All of these things give me hope for BJ.
Hey, I hope he improves rapidly. I want to see him succeed, because I have seen a few flashes, he seems like a good kid, and I've enjoyed his dad posting here. But so far, I'm skeptical. I haven't seen that great touch. Outside of the first game of the year, in which he was 7-of-11, he's shooting 24% from the field. That's not what I'd call "great touch."

To be fair, I haven't seen him play so I checked the website. They've got him at 6-7, 185 ...

tumblr_lzgs69Jc7V1ql5yr7o1_400.gif

I know you're exaggerating but let's be fair here. He's gotten pretty abused defensively this season.
He's also rebounded and passed better than I expected. I'm just saying, if he's going to be counted on he needs to be allowed to get comfortable on the court.

He's also rebounded and passed better than I expected. I'm just saying, if he's going to be counted on he needs to be allowed to get comfortable on the court.
I don't disagree with you there. You definitely do tend to play better when you aren't constantly looking over your shoulder wondering if you're getting yanked.

My "great touch" was in the context of the earlier part of the sentence, ie around the basket.

I agree that as far as outside shooting, it hasn't materialized yet, except in spurts, as you say. I am hoping that as he relaxes he will become more consistent.

My "great touch" was in the context of the earlier part of the sentence, ie around the basket.

I agree that as far as outside shooting, it hasn't materialized yet, except in spurts, as you say. I am hoping that as he relaxes he will become more consistent.
I'm sorry, but you can't have great touch from anywhere on the floor if you're shooting 24% from the field. He was 5-of-5 on 2 pointers in that first game. He's 8-of-28 on 2 pointers since.

What are you looking at that you're seeing great touch from inside the arc? I'm just honestly not sure what you could be talking about.

Hoping extended PT will do him well. Perhaps he'll be able to let the game come to him vs feeling the need to make an impression ala Mookie. It would be better for him to play more minutes but go unnoticed for the most part.

Seriously when you look at the recruiting class players that are not seeing much time either before or after Macs demise can't really feel that they will be getting much playing time in the near future

Will be interesting to see if BJ has been under utilized up to now. With increased playing time is he ready to contribute in a meaningful way?

He seems like he has great potential but man is he skinny! The kid gets pushed around like feather. He really needs to beef up.

This.... Second this... Haven't really seen much that he can provide. His shot is waayy too mechanical IMO... He just hasn't been able to do much. To his defense, he hasn't gotten much of an opportunity. One of the games, I forgot which one against a good team, where he was BAD. It might of been against LA Tech? Let's hope he can step up, CUSE will need it bad

We Are Syracuse said:
This... Second this... Haven't really seen much that he can provide. His shot is waayy too mechanical IMO... He just hasn't been able to do much. To his defense, he hasn't gotten much of an opportunity. One of the games, I forgot which one against a good team, where he was BAD. It might of been against LA Tech? Let's hope he can step up, CUSE will need it bad

This is what I don't get. If Roberson is NEVER going to play the 5 like Hulk quoted JB, then where does BJ come in with getting more minutes as the only guys playing the 5 would be Rak and Chin.

Sounds like the staff really doesn't know what's going to happen going forward.

I'm sorry, but you can't have great touch from anywhere on the floor if you're shooting 24% from the field. He was 5-of-5 on 2 pointers in that first game. He's 8-of-28 on 2 pointers since.

What are you looking at that you're seeing great touch from inside the arc? I'm just honestly not sure what you could be talking about.

I'm not basing my thoughts on actual results... If I was I would totally agree with you. I am going on eye test.

You could look at Cooney over a long period of time last year and say he had no touch, but he obviously does. I believe BJ has touch based on eye test, based on a very small sample size, and based upon the stress of being pulled.

We can agree to disagree! Time will tell!

I'm not basing my thoughts on actual results... If I was I would totally agree with you. I am going on eye test.

You could look at Cooney over a long period of time last year and say he had no touch, but he obviously does. I believe BJ has touch based on eye test, based on a very small sample size, and based upon the stress of being pulled.

We can agree to disagree! Time will tell!
IMO, he does not get recruited if he could not shoot. I would like to know how he shoots in practice. I bet he does well. Its a confidence and consistency issue. Once a couple go down, they will come in buckets. Regression to the mean.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom