BJ update | Syracusefan.com

BJ update

Potential fulfilled!

Too bad we let him get away.

what a smooth stroke.

Too bad -- one who got away.

He's not that skinny kid who was young for his "grade" when he showed up at SU anymore. Really, really wish we'd convinced him [and OG] to redshirt that first season...

Kid would have been perfect in our system.

I'm hard on the Orange, but we weren't at fault with BJ. He was skinny, somewhat immature and not working hard enough to fulfill his potential. He also seemed to be having too good of a time on campus. Transferring transformed BJ, was a kick in the pants and what he needed. If he stayed at Syracuse he would not be the much improved and skilled player he is today. Sometimes disappointment, revenge, failure and something to prove, makes a better person.

I'm hard on the Orange, but we weren't at fault with BJ. He was skinny, somewhat immature and not working hard enough to fulfill his potential. He also seemed to be having too good of a time on campus. Transferring transformed BJ, was a kick in the pants and what he needed. If he stayed at Syracuse he would not be the much improved and skilled player he is today. Sometimes disappointment, revenge, failure and something to prove, makes a better person.
Can't really speak to some of what you mention here, but I will say that BJ wouldn't be the 1st freshman to have those kinds of issues starting out.
I do recall that he was probably the 1st one that had me looking sideways at JB's PT usage. Yes, he was young and needed seasoning, but the talent was obvious. I do agree a RS would've been the best outcome for SU. Glad he's doing well.

Can't really speak to some of what you mention here, but I will say that BJ wouldn't be the 1st freshman to have those kinds of issues starting out.
I do recall that he was probably the 1st one that had me looking sideways at JB's PT usage. Yes, he was young and needed seasoning, but the talent was obvious. I do agree a RS would've been the best outcome for SU. Glad he's doing well.

You wanted to sit Fair, Grant, Silent G and DeJuan?

You wanted to sit Fair, Grant, Silent G and DeJuan?
Why does it have to be either/or? Why can’t it be both? Not asking for 38 mins a game a la Buddy/JG3, but give the kid some minutes to get his feet wet. Instead he rode the pine, saw the writing on the wall, and booked outta town. Sound familiar?

Why does it have to be either/or? Why can’t it be both? Not asking for 38 mins a game a la Buddy/JG3, but give the kid some minutes to get his feet wet. Instead he rode the pine, saw the writing on the wall, and booked outta town. Sound familiar?

That team was deep and highly ranked all year. I never got the logic of not taking a redshirt.

That team was deep and highly ranked all year. I never got the logic of not taking a redshirt.

Roberson wasn’t approved by NCAA for a while.
He didn’t play in the Canadian preseason tour at all.

BJ did. And played well.
So, apparently, it got decided somehow that BJ wouldn’t redshirt -
even though he was painfully young and physically not mature at that time.

And Robey eventually got approved, so he got the majority of the non-starter minutes.

BJ ended up playing in 10 games total, averaging 5.5 mins per.

What a waste.

BJ did. And played well.

And Robey eventually got approved, so he got the majority of the non-starter minutes.

What a waste.
Did Roberson and BJ play the same position? Wasn’t Roberson a PF and BJ a SF?

Did Roberson and BJ play the same position? Wasn’t Roberson a PF and BJ a SF?

Not a whole lotta difference for many of JB’s teams.

Also - Robey fancied himself a SF, even though he had exactly zero ball skills a SF needs.
Literally every time he tried a dribble-drive he’d get called for a travel.
Every. Single. Time.

BJ did. And played well.

What a waste.

And there you go, thanks!

This is a wild, offensive take unless you are his Dad, and we know you aren’t because his (cool) Dad is the OP. Sometimes not posting is better.

My BIL runs basketball shooting clinics all over the country and some internationally. He and my sister are currently in the Canary Islands running one, and they attended a pro game there today. BJ Johnson was in the game, and played very well.

IMG_2881.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom