blame game... | Syracusefan.com

blame game...

newmexicuse

All Conference
after every loss there are multiple threads about individual players who are to be blamed for that particular defeat.

the reality is that we simply do not have great consistent players on this roster. the odds of all players hitting on all cylinders in any particular game are pretty low for this group.

it is a team effort, or lack therof, that is to be blamed.

i did not get to see the game, but when i look at the box and see we are outrebounded by 45 - 24, that tells me we did not function well as a
group and that the coach did not make appropriate adjustments.

what good is our vaunted length if we cant grab a board.

Rebounding - coaching.
Free throws - every player.

This is a team wide issue. We get back half those offensive boards given to UNC we probably win and arent complaining about the officiating

Rebounding - coaching.

This is a team wide issue. We get back half those offensive boards given to UNC we probably win and arent complaining about the officiating

We complained about officiating after we won the ohio state game. so winning doesnt erase that argument

Our length is so overrated and is probably harmful to our ceiling. Recruiting that way leaves big holes on the roster, especially offensively. We have tall, rangy players that lack strength and athleticism. Teams like UNC that crash hard, have stronger and athletic players will kill us on the glass.

We complained about officiating after we won the ohio state game. so winning doesnt erase that argument
Im not innocent here either but reality is when you get second and third chances and play aggressive on O, you’re going to draw more fouls.

I didn’t think that was a charge on Tyus to start the 2nd half, and I thought Cobi White was out of control driving into marek for that blocking call. Im trying to see the replay where Luke Maye likely knocked the ball out of bounds as well.

But honestly, we don’t do ourselves any favors. Tyus took over, which we needed, but UNC owns our zone.

UNC is an elite rebounding team, so it was always going to be a challenge. But it should not have been that big of a discrepancy.

Carolina's guards also rebound very well. They aggressively pursue the ball.

after every loss there are multiple threads about individual players who are to be blamed for that particular defeat.

the reality is that we simply do not have great consistent players on this roster. the odds of all players hitting on all cylinders in any particular game are pretty low for this group.

it is a team effort, or lack therof, that is to be blamed.

i did not get to see the game, but when i look at the box and see we are outrebounded by 45 - 24, that tells me we did not function well as a
group and that the coach did not make appropriate adjustments.

what good is our vaunted length if we cant grab a board.

As huge as the FT discrepancy was last night, the rebounding woes are what burns me even more. Hearing our guys afterwards say things like they're big, etc. is frustrating. Are they any bigger than us? They certainly didn't appear to be from my vantage point last night. We have tall guards, good size forwards, a 7-2 guy, etc. The main difference I saw last night (especially in the 2nd half) is the way in which they went after the boards, aggressive, not just watching, etc. Their alleged size stature has nothing to do with us getting manhandled on the glass last night. That 46-25 stat was flat out embarrassing .

As huge as the FT discrepancy was last night, the rebounding woes are what burns me even more. Hearing our guys afterwards say things like they're big, etc. is frustrating. Are they any bigger than us? They certainly didn't appear to be from my vantage point last night. We have tall guards, good size forwards, a 7-2 guy, etc. The main difference I saw last night (especially in the 2nd half) is the way in which they went after the boards, aggressive, not just watching, etc. Their alleged size stature has nothing to do with us getting manhandled on the glass last night. That 46-25 stat was flat out embarrassing .
Anyone remember Paul Silas!

Talent widens the margin of error. When we start recruiting better talent, then some of these shortcomings are magically erased.

Rebounding - coaching.

Complaining about the officiating is the official board pastime.

the foul trouble is not 100% on the refs - some of the SU fouls were boneheaded, some were calculated to not allow dunks/layups - but no question that being in foul trouble puts a damper on aggression. the first half was good - but the cumulative effect of all the whistles destroyed the team in the second half. they need 4 centers...and bigger wings who can rebound better.

kinda hard to demand players hit the glass super hard when they are getting called for EVERYTHING

How many rebounds were off our missed free throws?

How many rebounds were off our missed free throws?

You make an excellent point as I never thought about that. So, to answer your question, based upon our 13-23 FT results, my astute math prowess tells me that that number would be 10, as I don't believe we got any rebounds off of our misses. :)

leaving dolezaj on the court for the last minute of the first half was imo a tactical error. bad luck that he picked up his third. but instead of being yanked immediately we leave him on the court for our last possession possibly exposing him to a 4th ! i suppose had JB pulled him aside and said "stand on the baseline with your hands at your sides for the next 30 seconds " it'd be ok. but instead i see marek out top trying to set blocks!
i just can't justify the risk factor there. not for 2 possible points.

Last edited:
Complaining about the officiating is the official board pastime.
That would make complaining about ppl complaining about officiating the official board drudgery?

That would make complaining about ppl complaining about officiating the official board drudgery?

I'm simply stating a fact. It's not complaining to point out that the Sun will rise tomorrow morning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom