Blaming players for last nights loss is too easy... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Blaming players for last nights loss is too easy...

It is what it is. JB has shown recent tendencies. He's reverting to those tendencies.

We're back to being full time zone (which I think is actually good for us, but there's a certain reckoning there because one of the links in that chain isn't ever going to be strong).

We're seeing the rotation shorten. Although he seems to be mixing different guys in at times. Not sure what to make of this one, I don't think it's as clear as it's been in other years what that rotation should be because the guys that play are head and shoulders more productive than other guys.

We're seeing reluctance to sub in the second half. I think this one's a killer. Benny played 85 minutes over 2 nights. That's insane. Insane. Judah clearly ran out of steam. The whole team other than Jesse looked out of gas (that was the upside of his foul trouble, I guess, which is also ridiculous, I swear the refs key in on his rep with foul trouble and it becomes self fulfilling prophecy, he gets soft whistles). Bunch went from looking like a token starter to playing 35 minutes a night. Part of Joe's issues were he had no legs.

We know how JB do.
Thank you. The 4th foul on Jesse was a joke. The player handed the ball to him.

Bell and Benny should rest especially if they can’t rebound. There’s no way Taylor would have been any worse than Girard.

I don’t get the fear of subbing. You’re already seeing the worst of the starters. I get this is JB, but we played an overtime game the night before FFS.

I’m done with 2 guards who can’t dribble.

I say play Copeland and Mintz together next year. We can go back to the combo guards/two point guards approach as long as they can play on offense.

Like Scoop/Triche/Dion….not Howard.
You want to play Copeland at the 2 last night that’s fine too. I only suggested Taylor because I know JB likes outside threats out there and if you just tell him to play defense and catch/shoot it would not have been worse than what Girard did.

You want to play Copeland at the 2 last night that’s fine too. I only suggested Taylor because I know JB likes outside threats out there and if you just tell him to play defense and catch/shoot it would not have been worse than what Girard did.
Amen

Joe Girard should basically never play more than 25 minutes in a basketball game. He’s not in shape to do so, and there’s too many negatives.

He’s the guy you bring in and hope he gets hot and if he does you ride it until it stops. And when it stops - get him out.

You don't need to play 40 just because you are having a great game.
Again, even Giannis sits in the NBA finals.

we would not have won the game with Brown playing any number of minutes either.

The one thing I'll concede on is that Bell played 35 minutes and he had ZERO rebounds, Zero steals, Zero blocks. He had ONE assist an a turnover. You can't have a kid play 35 minutes and literally not have a statistic.

The one thing I'll concede on is that Bell played 35 minutes and he had ZERO rebounds, Zero steals, Zero blocks. He had ONE assist an a turnover. You can't have a kid play 35 minutes and literally not have a statistic.
You have absolutely no frame of reference to say that's true or untrue.

Joe Girard should basically never play more than 25 minutes in a basketball game. He’s not in shape to do so, and there’s too many negatives.

He’s the guy you bring in and hope he gets hot and if he does you ride it until it stops. And when it stops - get him out.
I can’t believe he never committed to getting in actual basketball shape after all this time. And if any of you mention asthma, you’re going on ignore. I play with 40 year olds with day jobs with asthma who are in better shape. They lift and train outside the gym and are far more ripped than Joe has ever shown.

I can’t believe he never committed to getting in actual basketball shape after all this time. And if any of you mention asthma, you’re going on ignore. I play with 40 year olds with day jobs with asthma who are in better shape. They lift and train outside the gym and are far more ripped than Joe has ever shown.
It’s likely a diet issue. You can train all you want, but garbage in garbage out.

Besides the scoring you mean?

Also, there was one point where a Johnny threw a pass that was tipped and it went off the backboard and Bell corralled it. It obviously wasn’t considered a rebound, but should that be something? A steal maybe?

Besides the scoring you mean?

Also, there was one point where a Johnny threw a pass that was tipped and it went off the backboard and Bell corralled it. It obviously wasn’t considered a rebound, but should that be something? A steal maybe?

The scoring is the only thing he brings. 5-12 but 2-7 from 3. Not great but we needed every one. Bell also handled the ball some and Williams helped out with ball handling a lot at times when in the back court.

Brown would've helped on the low block, might've struggle getting out on the wing and would not have handled the ball. I love Brown but I don't think he fit with last night's matchup.

The scoring is the only thing he brings. 5-12 but 2-7 from 3. Not great but we needed every one. Bell also handled the ball some and Williams helped out with ball handling a lot at times when in the back court.

Brown would've helped on the low block, might've struggle getting out on the wing and would not have handled the ball. I love Brown but I don't think he fit with last night's matchup.
Defense inside might have been better, but I hear you.

I know Bell didn’t get any rebounds, but I can’t recall any situations where he should have. That make sense? I need to watch more carefully for that in the next game.

Thank you. The 4th foul on Jesse was a joke. The player handed the ball to him.

Bell and Benny should rest especially if they can’t rebound. There’s no way Taylor would have been any worse than Girard.

I don’t get the fear of subbing. You’re already seeing the worst of the starters. I get this is JB, but we played an overtime game the night before FFS.
This right here. All of the explanations and rationalizations should be thrown out in this circumstance. You can’t do this to your players.

What? Why not?

This right here. All of the explanations and rationalizations should be thrown out in this circumstance. You can’t do this to your players.
Especially this early in the season.

Bell's actually been pretty active contesting shots at the rim. He just hasn't had a clean block, and a few of them have been fouls.

He had the one goaltend that other than being an illegal play, was actually pretty nifty.

I’ll preface by saying Girard has improved in some areas over the course of four years, just not as much as you would expect in that time period. So while I acknowledge he’s put in work, it’s not enough.

He put up a shot last night - maybe it was a floater, but it wasn’t the one he airballed - and I remember thinking to myself, “He’s never taken that shot before in his life. Hasn’t practiced it once.” As I said after Richmond, he thinks he’s better than he is…so he’ll just throw something up because he believes he’s great enough that it will go in.

It’s just annoying that he thinks it will all come naturally.

That’s the low hanging fruit. I thought JB was real BAD again. If guys don’t play well you have options. Taylor can’t get in if Girard can’t put the ball in the ocean? He’s an upgrade on defense I would think?

Brown not getting in at all is criminal when we had a forward go two games without a rebound.

There’s other nit picky stuff I won’t get into, but lack of talent or not I think JB has now had two really bad games this year.

Guys play a certain way because it’s allowed.
What has Taylor shown that he should be on the court at all? He looks clueless every time he’s on the court.

Bell's actually been pretty active contesting shots at the rim. He just hasn't had a clean block, and a few of them have been fouls.

He had the one goaltend that other than being an illegal play, was actually pretty nifty.
That chase down block/goal tend was completely insane. Dude can move.

That chase down block/goal tend was completely insane. Dude can move.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that one. I was thinking more of the one where his hand went up through the rim.

But yeah, that was a good chase down, just missed the play by a hair.

I'm saying, he's raw but there's stuff to work with there. People keep saying he reminds them of Southerland. Well, we gave Dirty a redshirt his freshman season, we didn't have him starting games.

I’m not. I’m just noting that Taylor isn’t a viable answer at SG right now. You disagree. That’s okay.

We won’t know if he doesn’t play.
When agitated has games like that, other guys should get a chance.

P.S. - iPhone's auto-correct changed "girard" to "agitated". LOL

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom