Blaming the Coach is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. | Syracusefan.com

Blaming the Coach is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

stone567

Walk On
I do not always agree with Boeheim; however, anyone who blames this loss on the coach has not watched this team at all this year. This team lost because it could not shoot,and had great difficulty scoring pretty consistently since the first Duke game. Blaming it on the coach is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

The half court offense we've been using hasn't worked in months. There should be other options for us to use.

JB himself has said that our offense had been poor for months but not one adjustment had been made. I'm not really one to question him too often but him knowing our offensive issues and not adjusting to is odd.

The half court offense we've been using hasn't worked in months. There should be other options for us to use.

JB himself has said that our offense had been poor for months but not one adjustment had been made. I'm not really one to question him too often but him knowing our offensive issues and not adjusting to is odd.
True but the problem is plans B, C, and D all require an occasional jumpshot to be made.

The coach doesn't have a say in the offense?
The coach can design all the plays he wants. The last time I looked, he doesn't actually play the game. The players have to execute. Not sure it is his fault that the entire is having a tough time getting the ball in the basket. Tonight, they did not put the ball in the basket. He was not out coached. The team was outplayed.

What adjustments would you like??? Our transition game has not been that great either.

kuethstheman said:
True but the problem is plans B, C, and D all require an occasional jumpshot to be made.

I don't disagree with you at all, but Grant seemed like he didn't touch the ball tonight. It seems like we've had so much success with him setting a pick for Ennis and popping out then taking his man easily to the hole. What happened to that?

It just seems like it's the same thing every game. Ennis brings the ball up, take 15-20 seconds off the clock, he drives or shoots, or he passes to CJ who goes ISO fakes right then spins obviously to his left with a well defended shot, or pass to Cooney for a three attempt. Every time they go down the court it just seems like the same thing over and over and over. Not just this game, pretty much every game since mid February.

He doesn't want to design plays. That is the problem.
That is just flat out wrong. He does not micromanage (which is why so many top recruits like to play for him), but he designs plays.

stone567 said:
What adjustments would you like??? Our transition game has not been that great either.

Like I said earlier, I really don't know, but what I do know and the coach knows that our offense sucked and has sucked for awhile. I can't imagine the offense we've ran the past couple of months is the only thing these guys are capable of.

Except that if players A,B, C, D, & E can't make a shot just maybe you try players G, H, & I.
Yes. Tough dilemma sacrificing your defense (which has won most of your games for you) in order to see if maybe your offense improves enough to make up for it and then some.

Just got home from game & pretty much lost my voice screaming, pleading even, for Boeheim to instruct his team to play some pressure defense. How many possessions do you need to watch an inferior team hold the ball, pass the ball around the perimeter, basically unharassed for 30 seconds EVERY SINGLE TIME before putting up a shot, completely dictating the pace of the game, before you instruct your team to start putting heavy pressure on the ball on defense?

What's the worst that happens if you start to pressure the ball more? More fouls? Good! Dayton ended up hitting only ~60% of their free throws, so that's better then watching them waste 30 seconds & still score a 2 or even a 3 pointer. And maybe we even start getting some steals & run outs with more pressure defense.

I may really never know why Coach Boeheim allowed a clearly inferior team to completely dictate the pace of this important game, without instructing his team to ratchet up the pressure defense. (Until the last minute or so, when it was too late.)

I'm sorry, that is certainly within the Coach's ability & responsibility - and I absolutely feel Coach Boeheim was mistaken for not adjusting accordingly to Dayton's complete slowdown of the game every single offensive possession.

Just got home from game & pretty much lost my voice screaming, pleading even, for Boeheim to instruct his team to play some pressure defense. How many possessions do you need to watch an inferior team hold the ball, pass the ball around the perimeter, basically unharassed for 30 seconds EVERY SINGLE TIME before putting up a shot, completely dictating the pace of the game, before you instruct your team to start putting heavy pressure on the ball on defense?

What's the worst that happens if you start to pressure the ball more? More fouls? Good! Dayton ended up hitting only ~60% of their free throws, so that's better then watching them waste 30 seconds & still score a 2 or even a 3 pointer. And maybe we even start getting some steals & run outs with more pressure defense.

I may really never know why Coach Boeheim allowed a clearly inferior team to completely dictate the pace of this important game, without instructing his team to ratchet up the pressure defense. (Until the last minute or so, when it was too late.)

I'm sorry, that is certainly within the Coach's ability & responsibility - and I absolutely feel Coach Boeheim was mistaken for not adjusting accordingly to Dayton's complete slowdown of the game every single offensive possession.

Unfortunately, I have seen this many, many times in the tourney over the years.

We've been doing it for a long time now.

We obviously could have pressured them more. Rak was not in foul trouble, Keita had no fouls - and they weren't finishing well around the rim. We were getting stops though, we just weren't scoring. The threes hurt us a lot.

It's a tough call - against a team like Dayton, just upping the pace a bit may have helped. Sort of like that Vermont game where we just sat back and let them dictate the pace.

Also, why put Grant in with 2 fouls at the end of the first half, risking him picking up a third with 2:30 left, and then never once try to get him the ball? If you're going to put him in, use him. I don't know.

I still think playing guys like Roberson, and Patterson - energy guys - a bit more would have helped this team all year. We practically lull ourselves to sleep with this offense, having a couple guys running their asses off, making the pace a tad more frenetic might not have been the worst thing at times. G wasn't that guy, although he played a good game today (outside of his ridiculous shoe debacles)....whatever.

The coach doesn't have a say in the offense?

The coach isn't the guy shooting the ball. All year we've been missing wide open shots. That's not on JB. It's on the team...

The coach isn't the guy shooting the ball. All year we've been missing wide open shots. That's not on JB. It's on the team...
Exactly.
You're not going to win many games shooting under 40% and making only 2 jump shots the entire game.

I share the frustrations of many. I watched the Louisville game and I was impressed that when they were late in the game and they went down 2, they changed to put pressure, change the pace of the game, generate some easy buckets with the superior athletes they had, and took over the game. We, on the other hand, pretty much tried to change little, ran the same plays, sat back in a relatively passive 2-3, let them dictate pace, and ended up in a dogfight where we give them every chance to win.

On the offensive side, I understand that coach has a free wheeling offense that attracts some recruits, but for the last several months at least, it has not worked. We were letting bad ir inferior teams look like defensive juggernauts. We did miss shots, but often the shots were taken with people being out of position to rebound. Our 1 on 1 wasnt working and most shots looked very contested.

Between not dictating tempo and not generating open looks and second chances, we became very beatable. Obviously missing shots is on the players, but the others is on the coach. Very frustrating end to what was an unexpededly magical season for the first 25 games.

We all understand that JB isn't the one making (*cough* missing) the shots. But I did not see much of any adjustments in the last 2 months to make it work better. JB cannot blame the poor shooting, yet also be so unwilling to change something to get our guys going because "you don't change what works."

Which one is it? Cant have it both ways.

If the players don't execute, is he allowed to try different players or does he have to keep using the same players?

You are thinking we can go out on the free agent market and pick a guy up? Or maybe a trade? When is that deadline?

The guys that are sitting on the bench are sitting there because they are not, in JBs view, ready to contribute. They are worse players than the guys on the court. They will, hopefully, get better. But right now they are not.

I share the frustrations of many. I watched the Louisville game and I was impressed that when they were late in the game and they went down 2, they changed to put pressure, change the pace of the game, generate some easy buckets with the superior athletes they had, and took over the game. We, on the other hand, pretty much tried to change little, ran the same plays, sat back in a relatively passive 2-3, let them dictate pace, and ended up in a dogfight where we give them every chance to win.

On the offensive side, I understand that coach has a free wheeling offense that attracts some recruits, but for the last several months at least, it has not worked. We were letting bad ir inferior teams look like defensive juggernauts. We did miss shots, but often the shots were taken with people being out of position to rebound. Our 1 on 1 wasnt working and most shots looked very contested.

Between not dictating tempo and not generating open looks and second chances, we became very beatable. Obviously missing shots is on the players, but the others is on the coach. Very frustrating end to what was an unexpededly magical season for the first 25 games.

"Unexpected" and "Magical" are the key observations here. All you need now is "back down to earth" and you have cracked the code.

We had plenty of shots and these were shots that we made in December and January.

You are thinking we can go out on the free agent market and pick a guy up? Or maybe a trade? When is that deadline?

The guys that are sitting on the bench are sitting there because they are not, in JBs view, ready to contribute. They are worse players than the guys on the court. They will, hopefully, get better. But right now they are not.

I'll eat my shoe if Patterson is a worse 3 ball shooter than Cooney.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom