Blaming the Coach is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Blaming the Coach is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

You are thinking we can go out on the free agent market and pick a guy up? Or maybe a trade? When is that deadline?

The guys that are sitting on the bench are sitting there because they are not, in JBs view, ready to contribute. They are worse players than the guys on the court. They will, hopefully, get better. But right now they are not.

I am sorry. I cannot accept that answer. It is one thing if our guys are just struggling, but what we watched last night was more than just struggling. That was complete and utter inept offense. I don't know if any of the guys on the bench would help us at all. Maybe not. But to not even give them a shot is ridiculous considering what we watched on offense the past 2 months. Sometimes you have to shake things up. Why can't we ever be the team that has a guy averaging 2 points a game come in and help their team win?

Just got home from game & pretty much lost my voice screaming, pleading even, for Boeheim to instruct his team to play some pressure defense. How many possessions do you need to watch an inferior team hold the ball, pass the ball around the perimeter, basically unharassed for 30 seconds EVERY SINGLE TIME before putting up a shot, completely dictating the pace of the game, before you instruct your team to start putting heavy pressure on the ball on defense?

What's the worst that happens if you start to pressure the ball more? More fouls? Good! Dayton ended up hitting only ~60% of their free throws, so that's better then watching them waste 30 seconds & still score a 2 or even a 3 pointer. And maybe we even start getting some steals & run outs with more pressure defense.

I may really never know why Coach Boeheim allowed a clearly inferior team to completely dictate the pace of this important game, without instructing his team to ratchet up the pressure defense. (Until the last minute or so, when it was too late.)

I'm sorry, that is certainly within the Coach's ability & responsibility - and I absolutely feel Coach Boeheim was mistaken for not adjusting accordingly to Dayton's complete slowdown of the game every single offensive possession.

A clearly inferior team? Says who?

The way you determine who the superior team is is to play a game. Thats why the Tourney is so good. It shows who the better teams are by taking the picking out of the hands of the experts and putting the teams to the actual test.

If we finish the season ranked any higher than 16th, its a gift.

I'll eat my shoe if Patterson is a worse 3 ball shooter than Cooney.

Because that's not the way it works. This isn't the Hollywood version of basketball.

JB Has seen Cooney make three's in practice and in games. So keeping him in is the lower risk approach.

Looking down the bench for a savior is the Hollywood plot line. But it worked for Michael J. Fox in "Teen Wolf".

Because that's not the way it works. This isn't the Hollywood version of basketball.

JB Has seen Cooney make three's in practice and in games. So keeping him in is the lower risk approach.

Looking down the bench for a savior is the Hollywood plot line. But it worked for Michael J. Fox in "Teen Wolf".

I'll eat my shoe if Patterson hasn't looked good in practice all season shooting 3s.

Just got home from game & pretty much lost my voice screaming, pleading even, for Boeheim to instruct his team to play some pressure defense. How many possessions do you need to watch an inferior team hold the ball, pass the ball around the perimeter, basically unharassed for 30 seconds EVERY SINGLE TIME before putting up a shot, completely dictating the pace of the game, before you instruct your team to start putting heavy pressure on the ball on defense?

What's the worst that happens if you start to pressure the ball more? More fouls? Good! Dayton ended up hitting only ~60% of their free throws, so that's better then watching them waste 30 seconds & still score a 2 or even a 3 pointer. And maybe we even start getting some steals & run outs with more pressure defense.

I may really never know why Coach Boeheim allowed a clearly inferior team to completely dictate the pace of this important game, without instructing his team to ratchet up the pressure defense. (Until the last minute or so, when it was too late.)

I'm sorry, that is certainly within the Coach's ability & responsibility - and I absolutely feel Coach Boeheim was mistaken for not adjusting accordingly to Dayton's complete slowdown of the game every single offensive possession.

Why do you blame Dayton for the slow down pace? Every game we've played since conference play began with the exception of Duke, Florida State and Western Michigan were played at that pace by us.....for whatever reason he hasn't wanted to play a faster pace.

He doesn't want to design plays. That is the problem.

It's not possible to design an offense that consists entirely of dunks and layups. As one of the other posters wrote: players have to make jumpshots. When nobody on the team shoots well, the team loses. Any team.

I have watched this team all year (and for the last 40 years) and I am blaming a large percentage of the blame on JB.
What did he do the last 11 games to make adjustments? Add new plays? Improve the rotation and give Fair any rest?
He doesn't make adjustments. Never has. Never will. Very, very stubborn.

I'll eat my shoe if Patterson hasn't looked good in practice all season shooting 3s.

So what is it you think?

JB is stupid?

JB is locked into an approach to basketball that means that when things aren't working he cannot adjust enough to "right the ship"? (Actually another way of saying JB is stupid)

Or is it just that you are frustrated and lashing out?

This game wasn't a surprise to me. It was a microcosm of the games since Duke II.

I'm afraid Dayton wasn't an inferior team to SU. We play them in the best of seven and I think they win at least two more.

Welcome to PARITY in college basketball. Sucks, doesn't it? (It does, if you are a traditional "have" team vs. the "have-nots")

It's not possible to design an offense that consists entirely of dunks and layups. As one of the other posters wrote: players have to make jumpshots. When nobody on the team shoots well, the team loses. Any team.

You got it, Alpha.

All they have to do is "pack it in" and layups as a strategy vanish.

So what is it you think?

JB is stupid?

JB is locked into an approach to basketball that means that when things aren't working he cannot adjust enough to "right the ship"? (Actually another way of saying JB is stupid)

Or is it just that you are frustrated and lashing out?

This game wasn't a surprise to me. It was a microcosm of the games since Duke II.

I'm afraid Dayton wasn't an inferior team to SU. We play them in the best of seven and I think they win at least two more.

Welcome to PARITY in college basketball. Sucks, doesn't it? (It does, if you are a traditional "have" team vs. the "have-nots")

Actually, if you pay attention to yourself, you are the one lashing out, at the moment.

You are not the only unsurprised person here. This board is full of geniuses who saw this coming.

In response to me, you may be grasping at something that's not there. I do wish we played more guys, 9 guys to be precise. Giving 12 minutes a game to 3 more guys (4 each, 2 a half) wouldn't hurt anybody. On the upside, you might end up with more options in a game like we saw yesterday.

Actually, if you pay attention to yourself, you are the one lashing out, at the moment.

You are not the only unsurprised person here. This board is full of geniuses who saw this coming.

In response to me, you may be grasping at something that's not there. I do wish we played more guys, 9 guys to be precise. Giving 12 minutes a game to 3 more guys (4 each, 2 a half) wouldn't hurt anybody. On the upside, you might end up with more options in a game like we saw yesterday.

Anyone who didn't see this coming was asleep during the last month. No way was this "unexpected".

JB's achilles heel is his competitiveness. He wants to win every game. It usually works.

Anyone who didn't see this coming was asleep during the last month. No way was this "unexpected".

JB's achilles heel is his competitiveness. He wants to win every game. It usually works.

Truer words have never been spoken on this board. His wanting to win every game makes us he who we are. We are a team built in JBs image.

In fairness to Townie he was the sober one 6 weeks back. Not too often we call him sober but so be it...

Do you people even watch the games? Yeah we miss some open jumpers but more often not we are taking highly contested shots. That is part of coaching, putting your guys in a place to succeed.

swish7 said:
I'll eat my shoe if Patterson is a worse 3 ball shooter than Cooney.

Swish, I think you need to find a shoe.

Patterson isn't going to play much at SU.

His Achilles heel is his STUBBORNESS!

I do not always agree with Boeheim; however, anyone who blames this loss on the coach has not watched this team at all this year. This team lost because it could not shoot,and had great difficulty scoring pretty consistently since the first Duke game. Blaming it on the coach is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.
Actually not blaming the coach, or at least not attributing some of the failure to his stubbornness, and his lack of developing a bench, and his inability to articulate a cohesive offensive game plan is what is really ridiculous.

I understand everyone was is frustrated as we all should be. Losing this game was unacceptable, but JB knew he had a bad offensive team. This team struggled to find shots, get open off screens, make the good looks they got the past month and a half. I'm not going to put total blame on the coach, because basketball is such a free lance sport where players need to be able to cause mismatches by breaking down their man and causing the defense to shift and rotate to then make plays. This team did not have the offensive players to get into an up and down game. People are pointing out that opposing teams where slowing the pace down, but Syracuse was also a half court team, limiting possessions to try to win games late.

Do you people even watch the games? Yeah we miss some open jumpers but more often not we are taking highly contested shots. That is part of coaching, putting your guys in a place to succeed.

Can't argue with that. LOTS of contested shots last night. Some bunnies missed sure but I didn't see that many good looks yesterday.

His Achilles heel is his STUBBORNESS!

By "stubborness" do you mean "Be reasonable. Do it my way"?

That's not "stubborness". He disagrees with your recommendations.

Is there any chance you are sitting there displeased with the flow of the game and desperate for any change.

Of course, if the change you are recommending doesn't work, you can always fall back to that great Animal House quote, "Hey, you screwed up. You trusted us".

I do not always agree with Boeheim; however, anyone who blames this loss on the coach has not watched this team at all this year. This team lost because it could not shoot,and had great difficulty scoring pretty consistently since the first Duke game. Blaming it on the coach is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.
4 assists in the boxscore is one of the saddest stats i have ever seen . We clearly dont share the ball enough in terms of moving the ball (and cutting off the ball) and making the extra pass and finding a teammate w a high percentage shot. I dont know how thats even debatable. The great teams are getting wide open shots now and they are getting wide open layups/dunks at times (tough to miss those) - we have not been, at least not compared to teams like mich, msu, wisc, virg, flor, etc. On the final two shot sequences when we had a chance to take the lead how many passes were made? Did we get one high percentage shot? In the second to last sequence we should have at least tried, we had plenty of time, we did not make one meaningful pass and attempted a contested outside shot (of which we didnt make a single one prior to that in the game). question is, is that more the coaches fault or the players . Decide for yourself, to ea their own.

Let me start out by saying that I think Coach Boeheim is a great coach. He is a solid "X's and O's" coach who makes effective in-game adjustments more often than not. He also consistently attracts talent to the program. Many schools would love to have our "problems."

With that in mind, though, the whole team--players and coaches--share in the "blame" for how this season played out:
  • This team was a collection of B-level talent. Fair is a good player, but not a player that the entire offense should be built around to successful. His ball-handling, one-on-one moves, and shooting are not developed well enough to handle that responsibility. None of our other players, including Ennis and Grant, are players with the skill sets necessary to consistently exploit the variety of defensive strategies that teams employ. That was evident last night when Dayton completely erased our ball screen offense, which had been effective most of the season, by switching the screen. More developed players crush a team that tries that tactic. Our players appeared confused and, as a result, Boeheim all but abandoned it.
  • For anyone that thinks that stars don't matter, we made a Final Four run last season (with the same coaches) with a similarly offensively challenged team because we had an A-level player. If you don't believe that, check out who is likely to win the NBA Rookie of the Year in 2014.
  • John Wooden said that "X's and O's have never scored a point. What makes an offense effective is players that are well-grounded in the fundamentals performing unselfishly as a smooth-working unit." Our players did not execute the fundamental skills of offense effectively on a consistent basis. It's obvious that this team couldn't shoot. However, it was never really a regularly great passing, screening-and-cutting, spacing, or dribbling (outside of Ennis) team. Likewise, the team seemed to lack tactical and conceptual awareness at times. Ennis's 19-footer on the second-to-last possession is an example of not executing conceptual awareness. Based on the time, score, and way that Dayton was playing defense (they switched the ball screen again), he should have driven the ball against the slower defender. In short, these fundamental deficiencies limited how effective the team would be no matter what offense it utilized.
  • That said, when a team lacks stars, running an NBA-styled isolation offense seems like a poor choice, as does running the single-double down screens repeatedly for a less-than-reliable shooter. There are plenty of "equal-opportunity" offenses that would work more effectively with a team that has solid-but-not-spectacular players. Coaches should tailor their schemes to their personnel, not stubbornly insist on using the same plays year after year regardless of the skill sets of those running it.
  • The lack of fundamental development over the course of the season is worrisome. This is not just a 2013-2014 problem. Boeheim's teams often don't develop in significant ways throughout the season. What they are in November is often what they are in March. I find this ironic considering how often Boeheim pontificates on what needs to be improved in his press conferences. Rarely does the team truly improve its consistency in those areas throughout the season.
Should Ennis come back, I think this year's experience will help next year's squad. If Grant returns, same thing. If they both return, we should start the season that much further along than we ended this campaign. If we suffer from the same problematic offensive droughts with both players back, serious questions should be raised about the skill development program that is occurring on the Hill.

Until that happens, though, this season should just be viewed as what it was--a year where a flawed team caught some breaks early on but for whom the blemishes eventually caused a demise.

I understand everyone was is frustrated as we all should be. Losing this game was unacceptable, but JB knew he had a bad offensive team. This team struggled to find shots, get open off screens, make the good looks they got the past month and a half. I'm not going to put total blame on the coach, because basketball is such a free lance sport where players need to be able to cause mismatches by breaking down their man and causing the defense to shift and rotate to then make plays. This team did not have the offensive players to get into an up and down game. People are pointing out that opposing teams where slowing the pace down, but Syracuse was also a half court team, limiting possessions to try to win games late.
We didnt struggle that much in nov, dec and jan. What changed? Decide for yourself

Probably doesn't have anything to do with recruiting either.

Guess not. Just rolls the ball out and stuff happens. Has no control over who's on the court either, I guess.

The coach doesn't have a say in the offense?

Last edited:
Let me start out by saying that I think Coach Boeheim is a great coach. He is a solid "X's and O's" coach who makes effective in-game adjustments more often than not. He also consistently attracts talent to the program. Many schools would love to have our "problems."

With that in mind, though, the whole team--players and coaches--share in the "blame" for how this season played out:
  • This team was a collection of B-level talent. Fair is a good player, but not a player that the entire offense should be built around to successful. His ball-handling, one-on-one moves, and shooting are not developed well enough to handle that responsibility. None of our other players, including Ennis and Grant, are players with the skill sets necessary to consistently exploit the variety of defensive strategies that teams employ. That was evident last night when Dayton completely erased our ball screen offense, which had been effective most of the season, by switching the screen. More developed players crush a team that tries that tactic. Our players appeared confused and, as a result, Boeheim all but abandoned it.
  • For anyone that thinks that stars don't matter, we made a Final Four run last season (with the same coaches) with a similarly offensively challenged team because we had an A-level player. If you don't believe that, check out who is likely to win the NBA Rookie of the Year in 2014.
  • John Wooden said that "X's and O's have never scored a point. What makes an offense effective is players that are well-grounded in the fundamentals performing unselfishly as a smooth-working unit." Our players did not execute the fundamental skills of offense effectively on a consistent basis. It's obvious that this team couldn't shoot. However, it was never really a regularly great passing, screening-and-cutting, spacing, or dribbling (outside of Ennis) team. Likewise, the team seemed to lack tactical and conceptual awareness at times. Ennis's 19-footer on the second-to-last possession is an example of not executing conceptual awareness. Based on the time, score, and way that Dayton was playing defense (they switched the ball screen again), he should have driven the ball against the slower defender. In short, these fundamental deficiencies limited how effective the team would be no matter what offense it utilized.
  • That said, when a team lacks stars, running an NBA-styled isolation offense seems like a poor choice, as does running the single-double down screens repeatedly for a less-than-reliable shooter. There are plenty of "equal-opportunity" offenses that would work more effectively with a team that has solid-but-not-spectacular players. Coaches should tailor their schemes to their personnel, not stubbornly insist on using the same plays year after year regardless of the skill sets of those running it.
  • The lack of fundamental development over the course of the season is worrisome. This is not just a 2013-2014 problem. Boeheim's teams often don't develop in significant ways throughout the season. What they are in November is often what they are in March. I find this ironic considering how often Boeheim pontificates on what needs to be improved in his press conferences. Rarely does the team truly improve its consistency in those areas throughout the season.
Should Ennis come back, I think this year's experience will help next year's squad. If Grant returns, same thing. If they both return, we should start the season that much further along than we ended this campaign. If we suffer from the same problematic offensive droughts with both players back, serious questions should be raised about the skill development program that is occurring on the Hill.

Until that happens, though, this season should just be viewed as what it was--a year where a flawed team caught some breaks early on but for whom the blemishes eventually caused a demise.

Fantastic post. A question Coach? Kansas and North Carolina. Poor shooting teams. Certainly UNC. I somehow see way better spacing in those teams' offensive attacks. Surely teams are playing off of them because they are daring them to shoot. Have you watched them play? Is it just that Paige and Wiggins are elite and they can get their shot off against anybody? More players who can create off the bounce than SU? Better teams to be running ISO sets for?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom