Blaudschun Article About Adding Army/Navy to ACC | Syracusefan.com

Blaudschun Article About Adding Army/Navy to ACC

Faegan

All Conference
I have no idea how feasible this is, but as a fan I would love to add the Cadets & Midshipmen to the ACC. I would want to go see those games - home and away. Wouldn't telling recruits you'll be able to play against Army & Navy be a great selling point?

It would also add an additional lacrosse team, which in all honesty is one of my highest priorities.

Could we add them and keep ND as is?

Blaudschun Article (Also in Thursday Articles)

I love the kids who go to the service academies and know they are going to be defending the country.
With that said no way should the ACC add these two.
They don’t bring more money to the conference and these schools have rebuilt their programs by playing softer schedules.

It’s a nice idea to force ND’s hand let them go to the Big Ten but not the service academies.

I have no idea how feasible this is, but as a fan I would love to add the Cadets & Midshipmen to the ACC. I would want to go see those games - home and away. Wouldn't telling recruits you'll be able to play against Army & Navy be a great selling point?

It would also add an additional lacrosse team, which in all honesty is one of my highest priorities.

My first inkling was no, they add no value ($) to the ACC. However, upon further research, the Army-Navy game is one of the most watched college football games of the season. I wouldn't mind watching them week in and week out, and it would add a lot of great content for the ACC network. However, I don't think either of them has a basketball program that sniff's the level the ACC would need or want.

If they ACC wants to grab 2 schools, go get West Virginia and Kansas. Yeah, the Kansas football program sucks, but at least we'll have a chance at winning 1 more game.

I love the kids who go to the service academies and know they are going to be defending the country.
They don’t bring more money to the conference and these schools have rebuilt their programs by playing softer schedules.

It’s a nice idea to force ND’s hand let them go to the Big Ten but not the service academies.
Lacrosse is the only main sport I could see. I don't know if they have women's lax or just men's either.

week wife GIF

Yeah, agree. I’d love to have one of them on our OOC most years, but I don’t see where it makes sense as a conference.

Well if ND wants to keep playing Navy every year the ACC may say you can play Navy every 3 or 4 years like every ACC team. Unless…
Navy probably says no thanks because of the ACC ND schedule agreement

I wonder sometimes if the service academies are a grand bargaining chip for Congress.
Who recoups all the ACC money? Does the fed govt take it in that scenario? Does it offset their athletics?

blauds is being fed that idea just wonder who and why? It makes no sense on its face

My first inkling was no, they add no value ($) to the ACC. However, upon further research, the Army-Navy game is one of the most watched college football games of the season. I wouldn't mind watching them week in and week out, and it would add a lot of great content for the ACC network. However, I don't think either of them has a basketball program that sniff's the level the ACC would need or want.

If they ACC wants to grab 2 schools, go get West Virginia and Kansas. Yeah, the Kansas football program sucks, but at least we'll have a chance at winning 1 more game.
I am gonna run counter to most here and say that I would be for it. These two do indeed have national followings. Every Navy home game is on CBS Sport Network for a reason (and this would have to be worked out of course).

They are not Texas or Oklahoma, but they bring eyeballs. I’d add them for football only. They add some much needed spice, would yield a good number of wins for most and they’d likely garner some protections for the ACC on Capitol Hill if the B1G makes inroads with Virginia, UNC or Georgia Tech, which I think could happen in 8-10 years.

It won’t happen, but I’d rather do this than add Kansas.

I am gonna run counter to most here and say that I would be for it. These two do indeed have national followings. Every Navy home game is on CBS Sport Network for a reason (and this would have to be worked out of course).

They are not Texas or Oklahoma, but they bring eyeballs. I’d add them for football only. They add some much needed spice, would yield a good number of wins for most and they’d likely garner some protections for the ACC on Capitol Hill if the B1G makes inroads with Virginia, UNC or Georgia Tech, which I think could happen in 8-10 years.

It won’t happen, but I’d rather do this than add Kansas.
I’m in the add for all sports or don’t add to the conference. I love Navy and Army and watch them due to who they are. We did the partial thing in the BigEast and it didn’t work in the end.

While I do not think Army and Navy can currently compete on a full time basis, I do believe that they would raise their performance level if they were in a P5(4) conference.

Regardless of how things end up, if the ultimate lineup includes 60 or more teams, the military academies should be included.

That said, I am not sure they would hold off any decimation of the ACC, if the B1G and SEC could pull off such.

As much as I admire the academies, the ACC already has a problem with weak football, this would just enhance that. Not happening, shouldn’t be happening.

And, with few exceptions (Army Lax, for instance) they are really not great at all of the other sports.

Pass. Hard pass.

USNA has a maximum height and weight limit for Plebes.

Can't be heavier than 241#.

I believe West Point has similar standards.

Not exactly a P5 quality OL or DL.

And… the reason The Admiral got admitted to Annapolis was that he had a late growth spurt that took place after his official measurements;
or else they would have had to deny him admission due to being “too tall” for the Navy.

And… the reason The Admiral got admitted to Annapolis was that he had a late growth spurt that took place after his official measurements;
or else they would have had to deny him admission due to being “too tall” for the Navy.

He was 6-4 as a plebe.

6-9 when we played Navy for the 1st time in 1985-86.

I swear he was 7-1 when we met Navy again in the NCAA's.

This is correct. These guys have to maintain a Soldier/Sailor lifestyle for the purposes of life after football. Not going to be able to bring in the bodies and talent to compete at that level.

If true...they get around that by sending the incoming players to their prep schools for a year. They can exceed the weight then. They do have to get below a certain weight to commission 4 or 5 years down the road. The academies survive by bringing in 50 players a year...some who are D2/FCS level players. They have robust prep schools for player development and academic catch up. They also have JV programs for continued player development. Some of the players never progress and stay at JV or quit football. Some quit the academy or transfer (both kids who will never play and some who blossom into NFL material). You can leave after your sophomore year for any reason and not have a military commitment. So that could be 3 years of schooling (Prep+2 years at the Academy).

Not if you're a DL recruit with all the cutting/chopping they do! lol.