Blessing in disguise? | Syracusefan.com

Blessing in disguise?

moqui

generational talent
Assuming that James wins his appeal and earns reinstatement, perhaps this saga will prove to be a blessing in disguise in March.

• Dirty's absence has led to the force feeding of minutes against quality competition to Grant
  • DC is down for at least 4 weeks, which means Roc will have to play most of his minutes at the 5
  • That will give SU a nice 3 man rotation among the forwards and a nice 2 man rotation in the middle
  • Since DC has not progressed as rapidly as most of us had wished, this is like an addition by subtraction - Grant is more ready to contribute than DC, so this allows a stronger contributor to get into the regular rotation.
Of course, this is all assuming that James wins his appeal.

If so, personally I would like to see Grant get the start at forward, allowing Dirty to continue his role as sixth man.

Assuming that James wins his appeal and earns reinstatement, perhaps this saga will prove to be a blessing in disguise in March.

• Dirty's absence has led to the force feeding of minutes against quality competition to Grant
  • DC is down for at least 4 weeks, which means Roc will have to play most of his minutes at the 5
  • That will give SU a nice 3 man rotation among the forwards and a nice 2 man rotation in the middle
  • Since DC has not progressed as rapidly as most of us had wished, this is like an addition by subtraction - Grant is more ready to contribute than DC, so this allows a stronger contributor to get into the regular rotation.

If so, personally I would like to see Grant get the start at forward, allowing Dirty to continue his role as sixth man.

It certainly could work out well for us. Get him back which would give him about 9 games to get back into the swing of things before the post season.

Doesn't account for the agita these last few weeks. I can take only so much... especially after AO and Fab.

I think you make a lot of good points but as you noted yourself this all hinges on James winning the appeal. This team so far has shown it can win games without James but were starting to get to the part of the schedule wear teams that have given us issues in the past are coming up ie Pitt, ND, Gtown etc. To me thats what made the loss against Nova so frustrating, I wanted to pocket that W so that if we had a bad strech like Pitt and ND we would be ok, now we coudl be talking about a Lville like stretch where we could lose 3 in a row.

We are walking a real fine line here, when your playing in arguably the best conference in the nation its easy to lose back to back games and with a non existant bench and Southerland still out for god knows how long the wheels could come off in a hurry.

If James comings back I would like to see him come off the bench at both the 2 and 3 spot. Really we only need 5-6 mins a game at the guard spot and 20+ minutes at the 3. This is not a shot at Cooney it's just a fact of life.

If James comings back I would like to see him come off the bench at both the 2 and 3 spot. Really we only need 5-6 mins a game at the guard spot and 20+ minutes at the 3. This is not a shot at Cooney it's just a fact of life.
I like this idea...it would also allow Jerami more room for playing time at the forward spots.

I dont see James all of a sudden jump into the starting lineup over Grant unless Grant really takes a a major step backwards in the next couple of games. We need that spark off the bench and in reality he will play starters minutes anyways.

We don't want JS at the 2. Cooney may have his shooting problems, but he can handle himself better at the 2 than James.

I dont see James all of a sudden jump into the starting lineup over Grant unless Grant really takes a a major step backwards in the next couple of games. We need that spark off the bench and in reality he will play starters minutes anyways.
????where did I say James starts?

????where did I say James starts?

I wasnt implying that. I was agreeing that he will come off the bench and that my opinion was he wont all of a sudden start.

We don't want JS at the 2. Cooney may have his shooting problems, but he can handle himself better at the 2 than James.

Play your top 7 players! Cooney is not one of them. And with James, CJ and Grant on the floor at the same time we are guaranteed a mismatch on offense. The defense will be fine either way...we need to score more!

Play your top 7 players! Cooney is not one of them. And with James, CJ and Grant on the floor at the same time we are guaranteed a mismatch on offense. The defense will be fine either way...we need to score more!
I think James is the best defensive forward, so I hesitate to take him out of that role too much.

unless there is an injury or foul trouble, BT & MCW are going to play 38 mpg and all 20 in the second half. Cooney is solid enough in most phases of the game to give them their few minutes in the first half.

Makes a lot of sense to me. Hope it happens. It is a shame DC2 is missing all this time. I think he could be a real help against teams like Pitt and ND.

Funny (and not haha funny either) how nice it would have been that Michael Gbinije eligible this year. He didn't play much at Duke but his 55% fg and 40% 3 point shooting at 6'7" would sure be invaluable this year. Anyone hear how he is in practice? Looking forward to seeing him next year.

So who are you going to sit? MCW or BT? Or did you not want Christmas to play?

So who are you going to sit? MCW or BT? Or did you not want Christmas to play?

I'm saying have James take Cooney's 5-6 minutes and 20+ minutes at forward. CJ and Grant both play 30minutes at forward +/-. Rak 30minutes at center and Baye 10minutes. That still has MCW and BT playing 37-38 minutes a game.

I just hope that this experience lights a fire under James. He is far too passive, even in this, his best season. He has the physical tools to be a dominant scorer at the college level, but he is too willing to simply swing the ball around the perimeter, waiting for an open look. He doesn't work hard to get open off the curl and rarely attacks the rim - he has done both in game action, so we know that he can do it; apparently, he just chooses not too.

I hope he comes back angry and plays like it.

And on offense, he can't handle the ball well under pressure

With 3 6-8 forwards on the floor good luck pressing just pass over the top and attack the rim. I don't love James at top of the zone, but he can be a step slow at 6'-8" and still effect a shot. We need as much shooting on the court as possible for as long as possible.

mcw and james at the top of the zone would be scary

Why?

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3

With 3 6-8 forwards on the floor good luck pressing just pass over the top and attack the rim. I don't love James at top of the zone, but he can be a step slow at 6'-8" and still effect a shot. We need as much shooting on the court as possible for as long as possible.
I'm concerned less about him altering shots at the 2 than stopping dribble penetration. The 1 and 2 also have to prevent that as much as possible.

I'm concerned less about him altering shots at the 2 than stopping dribble penetration. The 1 and 2 also have to prevent that as much as possible.

Getting beat off the dribble shouldn't a big issue. The center will step up and there is nothing worse then a 6-8" guy trailing you for a block as a guard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom