Block in the back on the TD return | Syracusefan.com

Block in the back on the TD return

otisco

Scout Team
The blown PAT call was shockingly bad, for sure, but I am surprised that nobody is discussing the horrendous block in the back penalty that eliminated the kickoff return for TD. (When is the last time we gave up one of them, by the way?). On replay, it was clear that, at most, our guy had his jersey brushed, but it also looked as if he wasn't even touched at all. Really bad call.

We got a gift yesterday. I happily accept it, but it feels off.

actually i saw it did happen...the guy pushed him in the back right next to the referee...yea it wasnt hard could of been a no call but that did happen...now the extra point try is a bad call obviously...oh well...it is what it is...and the end of the day...its just a game..

The blown PAT call was shockingly bad, for sure, but I am surprised that nobody is discussing the horrendous block in the back penalty that eliminated the kickoff return for TD. (When is the last time we gave up one of them, by the way?). On replay, it was clear that, at most, our guy had his jersey brushed, but it also looked as if he wasn't even touched at all. Really bad call.

agree on the pat call. b ut to me the most serious no call was when bailey had his face mask grabbed and his helmet deliberately ripped from his head and it travelled about 10-15 ft. this could have broken his neck. not only a personal foul but ripping the helmet off was cause for player ejection.

I believe the same kid blatently shoved a Syracuse player on the first kick off of the game -- no call. I know the staff rode the official hard on that miss. They made up for it on the TD. Such is the way the game goes.

The no call PI and ripping off of the helmet were worse. So I guess it is all even. I don't feel bad about that win at all, not sure why a few do. There were enough bad calls to go around that cost both teams possible points.

if they play had been the last play of the game and would have tied it at 30 then Toledo would have been jobbed. they didnt play for the win and it cost them.

On the replay you don't see anything. However on the replay you also don't see what happened before they came into the frame. When the guy came into the frame the Toledo player already had his arms up in the universal sign for "Please don't call me for what I just did". I have no idea why players do that as an intial reaction but if youre running full speed and didn't make contact and put your hands up like that you'd face plant. Simple physics said some contact had to have occured.

Also, Eskeridge (sp?) got shoved in the back further up field on the same return.

I saw a block in the back on the ko return for a td that was very blatant, and was screaming for it. However, it was at the SU 10-15 yard line just before he waltzed into the endzone. If they called that one, not sure if they would have brought it back or called it at the spot of foul which would still have given them the ball on our 25 yd line.

On the replay you don't see anything. However on the replay you also don't see what happened before they came into the frame. When the guy came into the frame the Toldeo player already had his arms up in the universal sign for "Please don't call me for what I just did". I have no idea why players do that as an intial reaction but if youre running full speed and didn't make contact and put your hands up like that you'd face plant. Simple physics said some contact had to have occured.

That play happened in front of Jake and I and as soon as it happened we were yelling for a penalty.

I believe the same kid blatently shoved a Syracuse player on the first kick off of the game -- no call. I know the staff rode the official hard on that miss. They made up for it on the TD. Such is the way the game goes.

Yup, and ditto for the kick return AFTER the infamous kick return that was called back. If you keep blocking in the back then sooner or later it will come back to haunt you.

And yeah, Bailey getting his helmet ripped off after the play was dead was ridiculous. Oh well, refs can't call everything.

As for whether or not calls go our way, I don't care. I think we are getting the benefits of karma at this point and I will take them all.

On second thought, I think the play was blown dead as the player ripped off Bailey's helmet. Regardless, that was one of the more ridiculous acts of thuggery on the field I've seen in a while. Still a major personal foul.

If you noticed the block in the back when the play was actually happening live then you understand the call. When they replayed it, the replay didn't start until after the initial push and the second bit of contact looks harmless.