Blocking Shots | Syracusefan.com

Blocking Shots

Knicks411

Living Legend
I think I have brought this up before, but why not, anything to stop talking about Bernie for at least a little bit.

We've been really good at blocking shots. Kenpom starts in 2003, here are our ranks since that year in block %.

2003: 1
2004: 2
2005: 23
2006: 3
2007: 4
2008: 7
2009: 36
2010: 5
2011: 1

We've been in the top 10 7 times in the last 9 years, and inside the top 5 6 times. Pretty damn impressive. I've gotta think thats the best shot blocking record of any team in the country. (We're also first so far this year).

I have never seen an SU team as good as this one at that. Also dont remember an SU where our guards rebounded as well as this one does. Both real plusses imo.

MCW is an excellent rebounder...really attacks the rim. When he puts on 15 lbs, he'll be even better.

love it when guys try to go inside with Fair and Keita/Melo waiting

That worthless zone D, look at how many shots the opposition is getting.:)

I was watching Rivers yesterday. . Anyway he drove the lane with blowby speed kept his head straight and nailed the floater in the lane a few times.

I would like to see MCW develop that third gear. MCW could be our best passer ever.

love it when guys try to go inside with Fair and Keita/Melo waiting
Melo needs to learn how to block shots without fouling. I thought he showed progress and then regressed in that area against Colgate. Melo's the guy I'm really watching on Wednesday--hope he has a bounce back game. He was awful against Colgate.

Melo needs to learn how to block shots without fouling. I thought he showed progress and then regressed in that area against Colgate. Melo's the guy I'm really watching on Wednesday--hope he has a bounce back game. He was awful against Colgate.
honestly that game is just as hard to draw conclusions from as Cal State Poly or whatever that exhibition was...Colgate is that bad.

I think I have brought this up before, but why not, anything to stop talking about Bernie for at least a little bit.

We've been really good at blocking shots. Kenpom starts in 2003, here are our ranks since that year in block %.

2003: 1
2004: 2
2005: 23
2006: 3
2007: 4
2008: 7
2009: 36
2010: 5
2011: 1

We've been in the top 10 7 times in the last 9 years, and inside the top 5 6 times. Pretty damn impressive. I've gotta think thats the best shot blocking record of any team in the country. (We're also first so far this year).

SU is a great shot blocking team, but I think you will find that UConn's record is even better

SU is a great shot blocking team, but I think you will find that UConn's record is even better

They were the team I was thinking of, but for whatever reason, i decided not to check them.

2003: 2
2004: 1
2005: 1
2006: 1
2007: 1
2008: 1
2009: 3
2010: 3
2011: 19

So yeah, better than us.

The guy is a good weakside shotblocker. Would love to see him try the four against a cupcake or two in Dec in the 2-3 only.

Jb has used Keita and Rak as a eraser in the press but not sure if he has Melo. If Melo ever clicked at the four against teams with skinnier centers like Kentucky I like our odds.

Melos shotblocking thrives best when he can lean into his wieght a luxary centers don't get much in the 2-3, and he could be a absolute rebound eater at the 4 for 10 minutes a game when we go 2-3 instead of M2M.

Nothing I haven't written before but Keita has quicker reflexes, gets off the ground better from a standstill then Melo does, and like Melo he can take a charge.

I was watching Rivers yesterday. . Anyway he drove the lane with blowby speed kept his head straight and nailed the floater in the lane a few times.

I would like to see MCW develop that third gear. MCW could be our best passer ever.
He also went 6-15. He really is the anti-K guard.

Rak and Keita may be more built to block from a standing shotblocking position. Jb has used them as a eraser in the press but not sure if he has Melo.

I don't think he has this year. I took that as also JB thinking he doesn't want to get Fba inf oul trouble by leaving him as the only man back on the press trying to block shots.

JB thinking that his best pressing line-up has Southerland on the in-bounds; CJ and Brandon on the trap; maybe Dion at mid-court; and Keita as the last line of defense. Either Keita or Rak would cover more ground than Melo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom