Board christened QB recruits | Syracusefan.com

Board christened QB recruits

OrlandoCuse

Living Legend
I refuse to get upset about Zach Allen deciding to go elsewhere. He most likely would have joined the long list of "savior QB recruits" that this board has a history of anointing. That list is long and deep, but this board (and syracuse fans before this board) has been a little off in accurately predicting the success of the saviors:

• Johnny Miller - liked fighting more than football
  • Cody Catalina - great guy and TE, just not a great QB
  • Andrew Robinson - amazingly had 1 decent season (by GRob standards), only to be moved to TE and never see the field again
  • Joe Fields - I have nightmares about that Purdue game, moved to Safety (where he was great)
  • Joe Dailey - the qb commit that backed out on Coach P and went to Nebraska, only to fail and end up at UNC, only to fail there
  • Cecil Howard - was the second coming of McNabb, only to arrive on campus and leave, transferring to Youngstown St
Yet this board thought Nassib wouldn't play much in his career because he came from a Wing-T offense in high school.

the funniest thing about this is the 1 qb who was never christened by the board is on the verge of being of 1st round pick.

The NFL makes mistakes selecting qb's after parsing down every detail, anointing any high school kid to be the chosen one is often quite hopeful to put it nicely or let's just say Beanoish. It's nice to have the optimism but with that comes the complete opposite when it hits the fan.

I refuse to get upset about Zach Allen deciding to go elsewhere. He most likely would have joined the long list of "savior QB recruits" that this board has a history of anointing. That list is long and deep, but this board (and syracuse fans before this board) has been a little off in accurately predicting the success of the saviors:

• Andrew Robinson - amazingly had 1 decent season (by GRob standards), only to be moved to TE and never see the field again
  • Joe Fields - I have nightmares about that Purdue game, moved to Safety (where he was great)
  • Joe Dailey - the qb commit that backed out on Coach P and went to Nebraska, only to fail and end up at UNC, only to fail there
  • Cecil Howard - was the second coming of McNabb, only to arrive on campus and leave, transferring to Youngstown St
Yet this board thought Nassib wouldn't play much in his career because he came from a Wing-T offense in high school.

I agree. Those Texas grapes were probably sour.

You forgot Chad Elliot!

Although I agree in principle with your point, you are effectively doing exactly what bothers you in the first place. How is it any different for you to predict that Zach will "most likely" join the long list of failed saviors from those who were predicting that he would have been the savior?

Although I agree in principle with your point, you are effectively doing exactly what bothers you in the first place. How is it any different for you to predict that Zach will "most likely" join the long list of failed saviors from those who were predicting that he would have been the savior?
The post was more about the board's rather poor history of accurately predicting QB recruits. Basically, they haven't gotten one right in the last 15 years. It wasn't a shot at Zach Allen, I wish him all the success in the world. I hope he becomes "the one that got away". I'm sure the board will bring him up until the end of time if that happens. However, you never see the board bringing up any of the other QB's that were mentioned above. At least they can't be labeled as pessimists. :noidea:

Fans always have high hopes for incoming recruits ESPECIALLY for the QB's. The fact that we GROB couldn't develop his and P could recruit a decent QB to save his life doesn't prove any points except we haven't had a decent QB besides in a long time.

And with that said, I remember being real excited about Nassib when he was a freshman being talked up by posters. Maybe it was a different board, I dunno, but I never remember anyone guaranteeing Nassib's failure.

Fans always have high hopes for incoming recruits ESPECIALLY for the QB's. The fact that we GROB couldn't develop his and P could recruit a decent QB to save his life doesn't prove any points except we haven't had a decent QB besides in a long time.

And with that said, I remember being real excited about Nassib when he was a freshman being talked up by posters. Maybe it was a different board, I dunno, but I never remember anyone guaranteeing Nassib's failure.
The board was touting Johnny Miller over Nassib, when Nassib was a frosh. Most expected Nassib to be buried on the depth chart behind ARob or Catalina for a few years. Bringing in Paulus on a 1 year gig didn't give the people around here much confidence in Nassib either. Their focus naturally shifted to Miller as the next savior QB. The anointing of Miller was made.

It's similar to anointing Zach Allen as the next savior QB and discarding Loeb, Hunt and Kinder.

You know who really is sitting pretty right now? Kinder and Hunt.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Also, it's true fans have high hopes for incoming recruits especially QBs, but the board has a habit of selecting one recruit over another. It was Miller over Kinder. It was Allen over Wilson. I feel bad for Wilson because the board has already basically discarded him...

...that probably means he'll be an amazing success at SU, challenging for the Heisman by his Senior season.

I admit I've disregarded Kinder and hopefully will be proved wrong in doing so. My thoughts/problems on Kinder were more of a quick decision type thinking and I'm probably wrong about that as well. From what I saw from my extremely small sample study was a guy that was going to a spot no matter what but again I may be wrong or he improved that.

For the spring fling, we have 3 maybe 4 qb's if AB plays qb, correct?

I admit I've disregarded Kinder and hopefully will be proved wrong in doing so. My thoughts/problems on Kinder were more of a quick decision type thinking and I'm probably wrong about that as well. From what I saw from my extremely small sample study was a guy that was going to a spot no matter what but again I may be wrong or he improved that.

For the spring fling, we have 3 maybe 4 qb's if AB plays qb, correct?

Loeb, Kinder, Hunt, Broyld.

Maybe a new walk-on or two.

Loeb, Kinder, Hunt, Broyld.

Maybe a new walk-on or two.

That's what I thought OX, thanks. I want those 4 to get every single snap in that game and can't wait to screw up a chance with my future evaluation!

We have plenty of QB,s as long as we hold onto Wilson.

Things to note going even farther back:
McNabb wasn't probably as highly rated as a QB as Kevin Johnson. McNabb, KJ, and Madei Williams fought for the starting job right until just before the season opener in '96
Billy Scharr was going to be our Elway. He did very well at times, but was average, very up and down, but was crucified because he wasn't what we thought he was.
Todd Philcox on noones radar, had one of, if not the best single season of any SU QB after not playing before his senior year. Kicked around NFL for 10 yrs.
Bill Hurley, came here as a half-back and turned into one of the most dynamic QB's in our history.

Also, it's true fans have high hopes for incoming recruits especially QBs, but the board has a habit of selecting one recruit over another. It was Miller over Kinder. It was Allen over Wilson. I feel bad for Wilson because the board has already basically discarded him...

...that probably means he'll be an amazing success at SU, challenging for the Heisman by his Senior season.
I believe Wilson is a big time QB. We would lose one if both came.

Things to note going even farther back:
McNabb wasn't probably as highly rated as a QB as Kevin Johnson. McNabb, KJ, and Madei Williams fought for the starting job right until just before the season opener in '96
No. You're thinking of Downing.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I'm thrilled we have Wilson and having a quality guy that is going to be here learning this fall is way better then no qb's at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom