Boatwright back... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Boatwright back...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boatright's lawyer takes shot at NCAA.

"I am astounded that the NCAA released confidential information about Ryan’s case. Ryan and his mother Tanesha cooperated fully with the NCAA with the clear understanding that the information they provided would be kept confidential and would not be released to the public. The NCAA has violated the Boatrights’ privacy by releasing their personal information.

Moreover, the NCAA’s statement contains false and misleading information. For example, the statement implies that the benefits in question were provided to influence Ryan’s decision either to attend UConn or chose an agent, if and when he goes pro. That is false and the NCAA knows it. In fact, the two individuals who provided the benefits are friends of the Boatrights. They were simply helping the family with no expectation of repayment or reciprocation. And there’s not a shred of evidence that they influenced Ryan’s decision to attend UConn or that they intend to represent Ryan if he ever goes pro. The public also should know that the NCAA never told Tanesha and Ryan who made the accusations about them or told them the substance of the accusations so they could defend themselves. Further, contrary to the NCAA’s statement, neither Tanesha nor Ryan received a car from anyone.

Until the NCAA released its statement, the Boatrights considered this matter closed. But the NCAA’s improper release of private and false information has caused the Boatrights to consider their legal options."

Scott W. Tompsett, Stinson Morrison Hecker LLP

http://eye-on-college-basketball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/26283066/34612983

UPDATE: The NCAA has responded to Tompsett's allegations with a statement of its own. Here goes:

<tt>"Scott Tompsett’s allegations are not accurate. The NCAA statement regarding Ryan Boatright is factual and in response to numerous public misstatements and the resulting inaccurate reporting by some media. The NCAA acted appropriately to ensure the misleading accounts did not continue. The NCAA did not violate the student-athlete or family’s privacy in anyway, nor did it imply that the benefits were used to influence Ryan Boatright to attend the University of Connecticut.

"In fact, both UCONN and Mr. Boatright should be commended for their cooperation throughout the process to gather information. The school and student-athlete’s dedication to uncover the facts should be viewed as a positive example, not somehow construed negatively. Had Ms. Boatright cooperated fully from the beginning, this matter could have been settled months ago"</tt>

If you or anyone else cares about what the NCAA said. (and not ESPN)

If you are too lazy to click and read, here are the bullet points:

• Missed first 6 games of the season because of:
  1. Travel expenses (flight/food/hotel) for Ryan's mother for four official visits (WVU, UConn, Providence, and UNLV?)
  2. Travel expenses for Ryan Boatright to Cali for two days for something training/basketball related
  3. $1,200 to Ryan's mother in cash
  • He was cleared to play while they looked into further allegations, which found:
  1. An additional $ in car payments for his mother up to and including October of this year (doesn't say when it started)
"These impermissible benefits were provided by at least two individuals linked to nonscholastic basketball and professional sports." - reportedly Reggie Rose (his AAU coach and "long-time family friend", though that is up to debate) and someone else.

I'm too lazy to read it. I don't care enough about Yukon. But if those bullet points are true, the NCAA didn't do enough.

I'm too lazy to read it. I don't care enough about Yukon. But if those bullet points are true, the NCAA didn't do enough.
The difference here is all this happened before he was at UConn and no one who give the Boatrights money had any affiliation to UConn.

I can respect that opinion. I would only be guessing as to why the NCAA didn't make him sit longer than 9 games. If you want my guess:
  1. I think Ryan Boatright didn't do much or know much about what was going on
  2. The two people in question were giving his mom money bc they were only long-time family friends and it was the technicality of them also being AAU associated that made this an issue (ie. if they were not AAU associated Ryan would not have missed a game)
  3. If the above two points are true, the NCAA is actually being fair, finally. If not then I agree he should have gotten a longer penalty.

This has nothing to do with Syracuse, it never did.

What exactly did UConn do wrong in your opinion?

They have the kid on salary, that's what they did wrong. One thing you many not be aware of is that this kid is really good. why are you not aware? because the recruiting services are crooked! Calhoun and his associates know that if you funnel all the best players one way, it's going to raise suspicion. so what do they do? they deflate their value on the recruiting services. What, this never occured to you before? Okafor, Walker, they finished their careers the best players in their classses, but weren't top ten HS recruits. There are many other examples. Just use common sense. And Cuse, UNC, Kentucky, etc. are the dupes, the schools who have all the top recruits, multiple cD AA, while Calhoun finishes with 4 start recruits every year. It's actually brilliant when you think of it. He just makes a phone call and Ryan Boatright loses a star, but ends up at UConn, no fan fare.

Calhoun has more power than you could ever imagine. I like my shoes in leather, not concrete, so I'm going to tread lightly here, but have you ever wondered, where did this guy come from? How did he do this? Look into his background. There's is a Martin Scorecese movie that takes place in Boston. Seek that out, and you will start to understand the extent of his power.

The difference here is all this happened before he was at UConn and no one who give the Boatrights money had any affiliation to UConn.

That's just not true, the car payments continued while he was at UConn, though when they started is not noted.

They have the kid on salary, that's what they did wrong. One thing you many not be aware of is that this kid is really good. why are you not aware? because the recruiting services are crooked! Calhoun and his associates know that if you funnel all the best players one way, it's going to raise suspicion. so what do they do? they deflate their value on the recruiting services. What, this never occured to you before? Okafor, Walker, they finished their careers the best players in their classses, but weren't top ten HS recruits. There are many other examples. Just use common sense. And Cuse, UNC, Kentucky, etc. are the dupes, the schools who have all the top recruits, multiple cD AA, while Calhoun finishes with 4 start recruits every year. It's actually brilliant when you think of it. He just makes a phone call and Ryan Boatright loses a star, but ends up at UConn, no fan fare.

Calhoun has more power than you could ever imagine. I like my shoes in leather, not concrete, so I'm going to tread lightly here, but have you ever wondered, where did this guy come from? How did he do this? Look into his background. There's is a Martin Scorecese movie that takes place in Boston. Seek that out, and you will start to understand the extent of his power.

I seriously can't tell if you are a Cuse fan or just someone trolling them, but you make me laugh so kudos.

This is a joke he is playing. Received 8,000 dollars and a car dont care if nobody afiliated with Uconn. He should not be playing college ball at all.

This is a joke he is playing. Received 8,000 dollars and a car dont care if nobody afiliated with Uconn. He should not be playing college ball at all.
If the Cam Newton thing never happened Boatright might be done.

No Sir. I'm just pretty certain even 95% of your own fan base recognizes your extremism for what it is, so I'll spare them links to historical transgressions for the Syracuse Basketball program under JB and current investigations and uncertainties as to how much control he has over his program.

We're here to steal your rings! Boogity Boogity Boogity!

Don't spare us. Give us details about SU's transgressions, no links please.

Camby received benefits from an agent while playing and was not penalized until after the season.

There is no consistency with the NCAA because Cam Newton's dad can indirectly receive 200k for his son's services. Or an SEC football coach can make a healthy donation to a collection basket while on a recruiting visit at a recruit's church. At least Boatright was penalized.

C'mon, you and I both know that SEC football is untouchable, so not an accurate comparison. ;)

UConn is the dirtiest program this side of Calipari in America

Comparing Calipari to Calhoun is like comparing a 2-bit hood mugging old ladies on Main Street to Al Capone. Calimair's cheating is clumsy and obvious. Calhoun doesn't need to dirty his hands like that. Calipari cheats within the system. Calhoun OWNS the system. He may be the big enemy of my life, but i have to give him his due. Calhoun could squash Calimari like a bug if he didn't like keeping him around so much, to take heat.

And you wonder why the ACC is relunctant to add UCONN.

True. The NC schools would never let Calhoun in the door. He would own them and the ACC within two seasons. It kills me to say that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom