Bob Chesney | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Bob Chesney

It’s not an oversell. The people in the business of coaching think this is a no brainer. That rando fans don’t know what kind of coach he is because he coaches in a lesser league is not the demerit you think it is
I like Chesney's resume!...But, I may be going out on a limb here, but I am predicting our next coach will be Tony White! Why: 1. Wilhack has great respect for him already 2. His 3:3:5 worked at Syracuse and we need to keep that system 3. He is a NY guy and he understands the limitations of the Syracuse situation and so, he should be prepared. 4. He had a great relationship with his players and that is important for any Coach. 5. He is young and hungry!

This is a very important question. Does he have these connections and can he recruit? He has no proven experience anywhere near to this level that I can see, and recruiting is an extremely tough but critical business in order for us to be successful as a program. Maybe he'd be great, I dont know, but we can't ignore that this a significant question/issue with him as a HC. Northeast ties are great and all,, but if you can't beat out peer schools for NE kids it doesn't matter. If i were the AD I would need him to convince me how this would be proven/solved
Watch the videos. Most of recruiting is relational and identifying talent. He’s got 1/2 that. Any weaknesses can be addressed in assistants. I hate the Dazzler - but man - he’d be helpful as OL and veteran HC guy

I like Chesney's resume!...But, I may be going out on a limb here, but I am predicting our next coach will be Tony White! Why: 1. Wilhack has great respect for him already 2. His 3:3:5 worked at Syracuse and we need to keep that system 3. He is a NY guy and he understands the limitations of the Syracuse situation and so, he should be prepared. 4. He had a great relationship with his players and that is important for any Coach. 5. He is young and hungry!
I don’t hate White at all. Existing player relationship is only helpful for a year or two. I like the system but I don’t think it’s the reason to hire a guy

Lost this game, but the Sluka highlights are great. He ran for 330! Feels like you're watching a Dungey clone at times.

I see on the scroll Holy Cross was ranked #11 and they lost this game at home to unranked Lafayette. Just sayin.

TW wouldn't be a horrible choice by any means but I feel like we need a clean slate, and TW would feel like an extension of the Dino era. Not to mention the fear of him leaving shortly after for a pay raise. I do hope we can keep the 3-3-5 though.

We are Syracuse - every candidate we get is going to have warts or question marks. This is why Wildhack is paid the big bucks. He needs to get this right and it won't be easy because nobody comes with a guarantee.
Hell the big money programs screw hires up all the time(hello Texas A&M), it is a tough thing to navigate as an AD. Chesney isn’t the only guy who makes sense but he makes a lot of sense

But...I love Chesney too!!! Something about him...makes me want to give him a chance...if he doesn't succeed..we move on...

I’m convinced. I’m sick of the same old same old. We are different than a lot of schools. We need to think different. Shoving in a coordinator is not it for me. It comes down to two guys for me.

One being chesney.

If we don’t go chesney we need a big time name or I won’t be happy personally. Dan Mullen is that name. If it’s not DM then I don’t want anyone other than chesney.

• 'read the room' just means to agree with everyone else.
  • 'his teams have dominated'. They have consistently dominated a league composed of LaFayette, Colgate, Georgetown, Fordham, Lehigh, & Bucknell. They were 5-1 in conference this year. For perspective, Colgate, who we beat by 65, was 4-2.
  • Its an oversell. I do agree there is something good there. I like how his kids played against BC.
  • Its a massive leap of faith to think he can recruit the type of kids that can win an ACC divisional championship. But, with any coach, there will be some risks. I agree he is a risk worth taking, if he is the lone remaining best option, after a thorough national search.
  • You fire Babers 'early' so you have time to review your options. You review them and pick the best one. If its Chesney, so be it.
While I can appreciate your obvious expertise, I'll defer to the judgement of the man paid to make the most important decision of his career on this one.

If ADJW thinks Chesney or White - who I like but think Chez is the better candidate - is the guy to lead his program, I'll take his word for it - with all due respect to your expertise, of course.

I want upside guys, retreads are more of the same
YES. I’m sick of the recycling of coaches who have failed already as HCs. I know that’s a tough statement because if you coach CFB long enough you typically “fail” at some point. But the more I read about this BC guy, the more I despise Al golden, Diaz and TW as HC.

• 'read the room' just means to agree with everyone else.
  • 'his teams have dominated'. They have consistently dominated a league composed of LaFayette, Colgate, Georgetown, Fordham, Lehigh, & Bucknell. They were 5-1 in conference this year. For perspective, Colgate, who we beat by 65, was 4-2.
  • Its an oversell. I do agree there is something good there. I like how his kids played against BC.
  • Its a massive leap of faith to think he can recruit the type of kids that can win an ACC divisional championship. But, with any coach, there will be some risks. I agree he is a risk worth taking, if he is the lone remaining best option, after a thorough national search.
  • You fire Babers 'early' so you have time to review your options. You review them and pick the best one. If its Chesney, so be it.

And now people are starting to post about the Holy Cross transfer portal kids, as if we should be bringing in patriot league level kids.

It’s a concern but I’m not sure exactly how different it would be with recruiting and running the program. Also his team seemed to do pretty well against FBS opponents this year so he’s proven he can punch above his weight.
I think its pretty significant. A lot of FCS, especially at HC are going to school and playing football. Syracuse you play football and go to school... He might be fine but im not exactly in love with it

he seems way to normal to be football coach. I mean that in a good way I think. Also way to honest in his answers
I have no idea wether a coach will work out . It’s really a crap shoot especially when you have to work within the parameters of a 2nd tier P5. I thought ught Dino was a fantastic hire, things gradually unwound for him. One thing I noticed was this year HC gave up a ton of points. It seems to me people focus more on Offensive results then the other side. I honestly have no preference, like the line in Money Ball “ You-say when I know , I know….. but you don’t, you can do your homework, but it still can go South very very easily.

I've watched this video a couple times now, and have started wondering how many current players would actually portal out if he's our guy. Gotta think kids would absolutely love playing for him. He'll, I'm 54, and I'm ready to suit up for him. I'd be highlighted on one those over the top emotional segments on GameDay about some rando old guy living out his dream of playing division 1 football.
his first speech will be important.

There’s also multiple posters there saying they hate Syracuse and how we’re (the fans) insufferable. What did we ever do to Holy Cross? (Besides take their beloved HC in a couple days of course:cool:)
I think they are Holy Cross so they hate everyone.

It is hard to be a Washington General.

as an aside, are we going to talk about their indoor practice facility. I didnt even know holy cross had a football team, let alone division 1. Their IPF is pretty nice.

While I can appreciate your obvious expertise, I'll defer to the judgement of the man paid to make the most important decision of his career on this one.

If ADJW thinks Chesney or White - who I like but think Chez is the better candidate - is the guy to lead his program, I'll take his word for it - with all due respect to your expertise, of course.

We all already know that only ADJWs opinion is what counts. This is all debate, speculation, and a free exchange of ideas. it’s ok to have a differing opinion.

If Chesney coached in Iowa or Tennessee he wouldnt even be in the conversation. He’s only being looked at because he coaches in and is from the northeast. That’s the ONLY reason.

There are a lot of good lower level coaches out there. I’d go vet former QB Willie Simmons at Florida A&M. In 6 seasons he is 33-12 and 64-24 overall as a HC. Dynamic offense and from the ACC footprint who started his college career at Clemson. That’s the type of guy I want.

Last edited:
This isn't a knock on Chesney, just a note.

His QB had 37 and 27 carries the last 2 games. Has over 1,200 rushing yards in the 9 games he played.

I didn't look at past seasons so maybe it was just a necessity based on personnel. But at this level, we know that it's not a sustainable strategy unless you have a few of them you trust to both run and throw.

Athletic QB? Sure. QB who runs the ball more than the RB? No chance he stays healthy.

I’m convinced. I’m sick of the same old same old. We are different than a lot of schools. We need to think different. Shoving in a coordinator is not it for me. It comes down to two guys for me.

One being chesney.

If we don’t go chesney we need a big time name or I won’t be happy personally. Dan Mullen is that name. If it’s not DM then I don’t want anyone other than chesney.
I don't get the Dan Mullen Hype! What has he done? Recruiting for Florida and Mississippi State is an entirely different ballgame than recruiting for Syracuse. We need someone who has demonstrated that they know how to make Chicken Soup out of Chicken Shizit!!

I see on the scroll Holy Cross was ranked #11 and they lost this game at home to unranked Lafayette. Just sayin.

Lafayette seems comparable to them though. 9-2 this season, lost to Duke. But then lost to Colgate in OT, who HC crushed.

So who knows in this weird sport that I love.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom