Bob Chesney | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Bob Chesney

That's deep haha , but how about we hire the anyone who isn't starting that journey now lol

While true, he has rebuilt a program at every single level so far and been successful

Holy Cross was god awful when he started there and they have been transformed big time.

He’s a north east guy with connections to coaches. He’s getting the most out of his guys from Holy Cross that they almost beat Boston College this season.

Which means Holy Cross this season, likely gives us a run for our money.

It’s also important to note he slaughtered Colgate almost as bad as we did.

He’s a young up and coming coach, if we don’t grab him, someone else will
agreed. If we are going young he is the guy. Looks to be the next Lance

We’ve whiffed / missed on plenty of talent in the northeast. Not saying it’s the only area we’ve whiffed but having someone who can recruit in the SU hour radius around Syr (plus filling in from Florida / Carolina’s) opens up everything we need.
let's emulate consistently good occasionally very good non factories

are any of them good with northeast players?

if not, why is recruiting them more than an afterthought

Are any of them in the northeast? We can’t completely ignore the northeast.

What is really exciting is that SU has some seriously good coaching candidates. SU might not be a factory job but is a really great job. I feel good about this and I think JW is going to knock it out of the park with this hire. ACC football, New JMA, New athletic complex good NIL 12 team playoff SU is a great job

yeah I don't think you can ignore the talent within 250-300 mile radius. Doesn't make a ton of sense, other than Florida and Georgia you need to recruit somewhat effectively in that radius. I bet even Oregon has 25-30 kids from the states of Oregon and Washington hardly high school meccas and they recruit nationally for the most part

yeah I don't think you can ignore the talent within 250-300 mile radius. Doesn't make a ton of sense, other than Florida and Georgia you need to recruit somewhat effectively in that radius. I bet even Oregon has 25-30 kids from the states of Oregon and Washington hardly high school meccas and they recruit nationally for the most part
Cannon fodder

Whoever we get will end up having local kids, I just don't want it to factor into whoever we hire.

I don't know that much about high school football but my kids drag me to games and every single kid I saw would perish in a game against FSU

Some east high kid who looked like prime from Sanders against the kids he was playing is going to army, he looked the part

Last edited:
The more I read about Chesney the more I like think he should be the next head coach. The added bonus is the fact he may bring a top notch QB with him for the 2024 season.
This would be great, but also brings in a new concern: Did Chesney's success at HC predate the star QB, or did he just ride a Man Among Boys player in the Patriot League?

I know he previously won at the very low levels, so hopefully not an issue.

This would be great, but also brings in a new concern: Did Chesney's success at HC predate the star QB, or did he just ride a Man Among Boys player in the Patriot League?

I know he previously won at the very low levels, so hopefully not an issue.
Fortunately, his QB1 would likely follow him. My only concern would be him leaving for BC eventually.

What is really exciting is that SU has some seriously good coaching candidates. SU might not be a factory job but is a really great job. I feel good about this and I think JW is going to knock it out of the park with this hire. ACC football, New JMA, New athletic complex good NIL 12 team playoff SU is a great job
perception may be bad, but i mean we arent a 1 win team or coming off multiple 2 win seasons. We went 7-5 last year and could get to 6-6 this year with another bowl.

Add in the Portal, and its much easier to turn the roster over. 200M into dome renovations, Lally complex, all your home games inside. Low cost of living. Low expectations. I mean really, no orange colored glasses here, is this that bad of a situation?

Last edited:
Greg was a west coast dude…zilch in NE connections. Unlike Chesney.
Greg was also an airhead, only Gross somehow missed that when it is obvious he spoke for three seconds

The more I read about Chesney the more I like think he should be the next head coach. The added bonus is the fact he may bring a top notch QB with him for the 2024 season.
Agree and we need two QBs, Sluka would be a great number 1 guy. As far as Chesney himself, he checks basically all boxes except the P5 thing that JW was mentioning today

Agree and we need two QBs, Sluka would be a great number 1 guy. As far as Chesney himself, he checks basically all boxes except the P5 thing that JW was mentioning today
Is Sluka legit for the P5 level?

Chesney will be a finalist. He'll get an interview. We've been in touch without being in touch.

It might happen and he would be a good/prudent choice.
For those calling for a name (and I was ~10 days ago), that is something the NY Mets would have done.
We don't need to win the back pages/offseason.

Let's get someone in to lead, coach, communicate, recruit and be the proud face of a northeastern football program. Let's have him walk in a room of alums/boosters or high school coaches and smile, shake hands and not stand in the corner.

Let's give ADJW the support he needs to make the right choice even if it is not the Se><y choice.
Let's find the next Mac or Coach P or Marrone and let's NOT let him go if/when he gets called in 4 years.

College of the Holy Cross
  • Chesney is losing 11 fifth-year seniors AND has 26 more (regular) seniors on the roster.
    • Included in these 37 players is his stud QB (at least for the FCS division).
  • CHC does not take grad transfers. As in they don't offer any graduate degrees or classes.
    • So he cannot back fill as most programs can or would.
Thus, it is time for Chesney to bounce. Strike while the iron is hot. That is why Marrone left us (Nassib done).

What other jobs are open? As of now, not any in the Northeast, where he is most relevant.
As long as he can communicate a reasonable/strategically prudent plan to fill out his staff, he has a very good chance to get the call.

Last edited:
Chesney will be a finalist. He'll get an interview. We've been in touch without being in touch.

It might happen and he would be a good/prudent choice.
For those calling for a name (and I was ~10 days ago), that is something the NY Mets would have done.
We don't need to win the back pages/offseason.

Let's get someone in to lead, coach, communicate, recruit and be the proud face of a northeastern football program. Let's have him walk in a room of alums/boosters or high school coaches and smile, shake hands and not stand in the corner.

Let's give ADJW the support he needs to make the right choice even if it is not the Se><y choice.
Let's find the next Mac or Coach P or Marrone and let's NOT let him go when he gets called in 4 years.

College of the Holy Cross
  • Chesney is losing 11 fifth-year seniors AND has 26 more (regular) seniors on the roster.
    • Included in these 37 players is his stud QB (at least for the FCS division).
  • CHC does not take grad transfers. As in they don't offer any graduate degrees or classes.
    • So he cannot back fill as most programs can or would.
Thus, it is time for Chesney to bounce. Strike while the iron is hot. That is why Marrone left us (Nassib done).

What other jobs are open? As of now, not any in the Northeast, where he is most relevant.
As long as he can communicate a reasonable/strategically prudent plan to fill out his staff, he has a very good chance to get the call.
Great post, couldn’t agree more and really glad to hear we have been in touch sorta kinda

I find it interesting that four Hply Cross players have decided to transfer today.
Well I mean if it is Chesney, and he wants to bring some of his own guys with him - it would follow well.
And if Chesney is the coach he is and these are key guys, that would seem to be very unusual.

Sluka has some Shrader qualities. He had a shoulder injury and missed time late in the season, but HC still had him run on 4th and short.

Reactions: FAL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom