Bob Chesney | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Bob Chesney

Listen I’m not saying he’s the end all be all

But I think he would be a solid hire.

I would take him over Tony White, which is probably going to be a controversial statement

I see your point; at least he's been a head coach.

agreed 100%. Our measure of success at SU, last i checked, was to compete and make consistent bowl games. That's 6-8 wins per season. The right guy can do that immediately IMO.

If we hire someone and they win 1, 2 and 4 games first 3 seasons, Fire him. It's ok. Don't be scared about expectations. It's a game and the barometer is wins.

Don’t disagree with this at all

Especially if we plan to play big boy P4 football

Definitely not the measuring stick.

But, he took an FCS team and went toe to toe with Boston College. They probably should have beat Army too.

What I’m saying is, he’s got a team playing well above their level.

Which is something that is desperately needed at Cuse.

Go watch some videos of him coaching, you’ll be impressed
problem is we haven't had a guy outcoaching his opponents in a while. we forgot what that's like. Pasqualoni could do it with DeLeone back in the salad days. It was a sight to behold young folks. It's fun when you out think your opponent and beat the likes of Florida at the dome in September or take it to Michigan in the big house.

I think we need to hire a regional person full stop. If Holy Cross was in spokane and Chesney was doing the lords work out west, it wouldn't make sense at all.

We need to figure out how a guy in Worcester has made HC a powerhouse at that level. A deconstruction is needed even if he's not hired. Wildhack would be brain dead to not break bread with the northeast success brokers and figure out what's not working> I'd meet with mark murphy as well. I wish Marty Teevan was still alive and get his outlook since he left Dartmouth and came back and had a holistic view of football up this way.

This is John's job at this point. Find the right guy AND find what has worked in the northeast. I see no diff btw the ACC and the Patriot League and the Ivy League at the end of the day when you are talking football on the field. It's a game played 11 on 11. The rest of the BS will be figured out if you can get a guy who can coach on the field. The amt of money these programs have now it's a staffing and donor thing that can be utilized if success is found
My only push back to that is there is a GIANT difference on how these teams play on the field. Offenses are vastly more complicated in the Power 4 schools then they are in the ivy league or patriot league. Talent affords schools to use different techniques and schemes. I have ties to Cornell football I know their philosophy its vastly different then what even Syracuse attempts.

Anyway, if he is the guy Ill support him, my 8 tickets will be purchased but I would hope for more.

What I like about chesney is his energy. He will not be out worked, HC is like Syracuse light,I think he would be an excellent fit. My guess if he has an interview and is genuinely interested he will come up with a plan and wow JW. I still think it will be White, but this guy makes sense. Football is football, as others have said we need someone who will elevate the players above their potential, we haven’t had that in a long time. He will figure out the portal and recruiting

Anyway, if he is the guy Ill support him, my 8 tickets will be purchased but I would hope for more.
I've seen Holy Cross play a few times over the last 3 or 4 years, mostly against FBS competition. Chesney gets everything out of his roster. I'd have no concerns about his ability to scheme, or player development. My biggest concerns would be recruiting at this level, being able to navigate NIL and the portal, and filling out an ACC level staff. He can't bring all his guys from HC or Assumption and win in the ACC. He's going to need some P5 experience on the staff. From what I've heard though, he's really well regarded in coaching circles so he might have those connections.

Mark Duffner once dominated the Patriot League with HC. He was 60-5 and 25-1 in conference.
Gained him an opportunity to coach Maryland in the ACC. Where he ended up 20-35 never to be head coach again.

We also seen what happened to Joe Moorhead.

Big boy football is completely different from these small schools. Not saying it can’t happen but it’s very rare.

Hello Syracuse faithful, I come in peace (I am not one of the Holy Cross psychos that believe Worcester is the greatest "city" in America). I wanted to pass along a few things about our beloved Coach Chesney.

When he first came to HC, the alumni base was VERY divided about his hiring. At that point, he was coaching at a small DII school across town from HC. Many people (me included) thought that he would be in over his head at an FCS school, since he had no experience at this level. We couldn't have been any more incorrect. From the first day, Chesney totally transformed the program. He has recruited FBS level players, produced All-Americans, beaten 2 FBS schools (narrowly missing two more this year), and has been a leader of men. Not only does he lead on the field, he leads off of it. He is involved with the alumni, he is VERY involved in the Worcester community, and he has his players just as involved.

Before Chesney got to HC, our football team was mired in mediocrity -- since his arrival, we have won 5 consecutive Patriot League titles and made it to the FCS national quarterfinals last year (where we had eventual national champ SDSU on the ropes in the 4th quarter). This year, though 7-4, it could have been his best work with the amount of injuries this team sustained...the defense was decimated by injury and there wasn't a game that wasn't still winnable at the end. What I am saying is that there isn't a box that Chesney doesn't check.

I do not have any inside info about Cheseny's future at either HC or Syracuse, however if he is in Syracuse's future, you will not be disappointed. With that said, if any of you DO have pull at Syracuse, please tell the AD or higher ups to not hire him, we'll keep him.

i am ready to join the holy cross board just to give a lesson on how to pronounce WORE CHESTER and virtually fist fight them all

Woostuh? Did Ric Flair found the city? The nerve

I am so surprised so many people want this guy to be the hire. The ACC and power 4 dynamics with NIL and the transfer portal are worlds apart from the patriot league. Maybe he would be fantastic but winning at Holy Cross is worlds different then winning in the ACC., especially with a coach that has zero experience in big time college football. Its not like he could even bring a couple players with him from Holy Cross. Could he be successful? Maybe but he would have to hire one heck of a group of assistant coaches who can recruit at this level, and have experience coaching at this level.
I agree. Its really weird.

People are absolutely clamoring for this coach I never heard of from a program I never think about.

Fine as a mention, but when he is coming in as the seeming #1 in some people's minds over some of the other options, dudes with NFL and P5 experience, that is weird to me.

Definitely not the measuring stick.

But, he took an FCS team and went toe to toe with Boston College. They probably should have beat Army too.

What I’m saying is, he’s got a team playing well above their level.

Which is something that is desperately needed at Cuse.

Go watch some videos of him coaching, you’ll be impressed
Yup. People would love him here. Blue collar guy. He's the type of guy who the community would love.

Based on what Wildhack said and also what Axe said, it sounds like this could be a really strong potential candidate. He checks a lot of ADJW boxes and everywhere this guy goes, he wins.

But the ACC is a big step up, what type of system does he have? I’ve never seen any of their games.

Based on what Wildhack said and also what Axe said, it sounds like this could be a really strong potential candidate. He checks a lot of ADJW boxes and everywhere this guy goes, he wins.

But the ACC is a big step up, what type of system does he have? I’ve never seen any of their games.
i need to listen again. him mentioning p5 gave me pause on someone down the ladder. Everything else leaned towards someone like Chesney. Coach, Communicator, Northeast HC, etc.

I think it's going to come down to the interviews and who JW wants to work with in this project. HC of Syracuse needs a buy in from everyone in the community

I am so surprised so many people want this guy to be the hire. The ACC and power 4 dynamics with NIL and the transfer portal are worlds apart from the patriot league. Maybe he would be fantastic but winning at Holy Cross is worlds different then winning in the ACC., especially with a coach that has zero experience in big time college football. Its not like he could even bring a couple players with him from Holy Cross. Could he be successful? Maybe but he would have to hire one heck of a group of assistant coaches who can recruit at this level, and have experience coaching at this level.
You realize NIL is more about the boosters right?

Yup. People would love him here. Blue collar guy. He's the type of guy who the community would love.
Until he loses his first game and the locals turn on him like hyenas. At least the ones who still give a flying f*#@

People are absolutely clamoring for this coach I never heard of from a program I never think about.

Fine as a mention, but when he is coming in as the seeming #1 in some people's minds over some of the other options, dudes with NFL and P5 experience, that is weird to me.
I get the hesitation, but on the same token hiring the same recycled old guys over and over and over who have been fired repeatedly instead of giving a younger up and coming coach whose won and been able to build programs at every stop a chance seems weird to me, also. I'd prefer taking a chance on a home run than taking guy an "NFL or P5 guy" who has shown reason to be concerned about their ability to get the job done.

Unfortunately there are very few candidates out there with Northeast ties. That is how he makes the list.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom