Bob Chesney | Page 39 | Syracusefan.com

Bob Chesney

People talk about Chesney like he's coaching Pop Warner flag football. The guy wins everywhere he goes, and he does it at places where it's hard to win. Gee, I wonder if there's a P4 job open at a school where it's traditionally hard to win? People keep bringing up 7-4 as if the 12-1 season the year before never happened. 44-21 at HC, 111-46 overall. Beat Buffalo last season, nearly beat BC and Army this season.
12 coach of the year awards.
5 straight Patriot League titles.
Holy Cross has made the playoffs 6 times in school history, 4 are with Chesney.

There's no guarantee with anyone who gets hired for this job and every candidate has holes in their resume. But Chesney is gonna make the move up at some point and it just makes sense for a young coaching gem from the northeast to be at Cuse.

I am not, and will probably never will be, a Chesney fan. There's just something that rubs me the wrong way about him. I've watched a bunch of his videos. I don't know what it is, but I just don't like the guy. If it's that guy, I'll probably just drift away from SU sports the same way I drifted into it decades ago. Please Mr. Wildhack, surprise us with a competent P5 guy and do it soon; I can't take much more of this.

People talk about Chesney like he's coaching Pop Warner flag football. The guy wins everywhere he goes, and he does it at places where it's hard to win. Gee, I wonder if there's a P4 job open at a school where it's traditionally hard to win? People keep bringing up 7-4 as if the 12-1 season the year before never happened. 44-21 at HC, 111-46 overall. Beat Buffalo last season, nearly beat BC and Army this season.

There's no guarantee with anyone who gets hired for this job and every candidate has holes in their resume. But Chesney is gonna make the move up at some point and it just makes sense for a young coaching gem from the northeast to be at Cuse.
Right. He’s got the ideal credentials for us. He just happened to be coaching at a different level. We need a program builder and someone who can handle the Xs and Os better.

Right. He’s got the ideal credentials for us. He just happened to be coaching at a different level. We need a program builder and someone who can handle the Xs and Os better.
And candidly as a secondary plus could bring a QB, LB and oline guy. QB and oline could help immediately.

Is it more about the Xs and Os or the Jimmy and Joes? Even as a former coach, I have leaned to the Jimmy and Joes as being more important. But there are examples everywhere, every year, at every level of guys losing with clearly better talent.

There is a limit to the type of talent you can consistently recruit and retain at a program like Syracuse based on history. This is likely to continue until we start stacking winning seasons on winning seasons and getting more guys to the league. Maybe it's not so outlandish to take an admittedly big risk on a charismatic program builder who has won at every level he has coached and with programs that had less talent than competition when he arrived.

Run heavy offense in 2023 is disgusting.

Especially with the offensive line talent that Syracuse winds up with. Disaster waiting to happen
The last three games beg to differ. The spread has a lot of defenses small and running is back baby - for now.

It's hard to win in the SEC
It's less challenging to win in the Patriot League.
He hasn't gone/been anywhere.
Nobody cares about Buffalo wins or near wins.
Stop acting like he's Andy Reid.
I'll get behind him, but hope for Wildhack's sake he considered all the options in this supposed national search.

I'm confused why you're sharing all these tweets from people who are already writing the same things or paraphrasing from people on this board. I'm reading people write it on here and then I get to read a screenshot of them writing it on Twitter.

I'm confused why you're sharing all these tweets from people who are already writing the same things or paraphrasing from people on this board. I'm reading people write it on here and then I get to read a screenshot of them writing it on Twitter.
The point was that Chesney’s relative liked it. I wrote that on the bottom.

The point was that Chesney’s relative liked it. I wrote that on the bottom.

Yeah, my bad. I had already commented before seeing your post. Had read a couple re-posts yesterday of the same poster and then his tweets yesterday so it seemed redundant. Thought it was more of the same.

Yeah, my bad. I had already commented before seeing your post. Had read a couple re-posts yesterday of the same poster and then his tweets yesterday so it seemed redundant. Thought it was more of the same.
No worries man, it’s been hectic. Lol

It's hard to win in the SEC
It's less challenging to win in the Patriot League.
He hasn't gone/been anywhere.
Nobody cares about Buffalo wins or near wins.
Stop acting like he's Andy Reid.
I'll get behind him, but hope for Wildhack's sake he considered all the options in this supposed national search.

So any coach that came here from the SEC would automatically be a winner? Every coach is a crap shoot. There's ton of "big name" coaches that don't do anything at their next stop, happens all the time. I loved the idea of Mullen but it was still no guarantee of success. The downside of Mullen if he failed is we'd be financially strapped in a way we won't be with the potential hires now.

Is it more about the Xs and Os or the Jimmy and Joes? Even as a former coach, I have leaned to the Jimmy and Joes as being more important. But there are examples everywhere, every year, at every level of guys losing with clearly better talent.

There is a limit to the type of talent you can consistently recruit and retain at a program like Syracuse based on history. This is likely to continue until we start stacking winning seasons on winning seasons and getting more guys to the league. Maybe it's not so outlandish to take an admittedly big risk on a charismatic program builder who has won at every level he has coached and with programs that had less talent than competition when he arrived.
I think that he has always been the leader for JW, but things might have been delayed to vet Mullen. At this point i would be fine with him. Not splashy but solid which is what we need. He would also allow for significant money to be spent on assistant coaches. If not him, I'm not sure in what direction JW goes. Is White still in play? If so, I could see him as the choice. I don't know much about Brown from GA he seems like a stretch, but he does have good east coast connections can recruit like crazy. Maybe he is our Lockley type coach. My guess at this point is Chesney. I guess we will know soon enough.

So any coach that came here from the SEC would automatically be a winner? Every coach is a crap shoot. There's ton of "big name" coaches that don't do anything at their next stop, happens all the time. I loved the idea of Mullen but it was still no guarantee of success. The downside of Mullen if he failed is we'd be financially strapped in a way we won't be with the potential hires now.
we will never know now will we?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom