Boeheim apologizes | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim apologizes

rrlbees

Have you donated to an SU NIL collective?
Staff member
1/2: @BrentAxeMedia: RT @DavidGlennShow: McCallum: Boeheim apologized to his players after Duke game--told them he thought there was less time left...more like 4 seconds

1/2: @BrentAxeMedia: RT @DavidGlennShow: McCallum: Boeheim apologized to his players after Duke game--told them he thought there was less time left...more like 4 seconds

yeesh...

Tell you the truth, I was surprised there was still 10+ seconds left after the foul call.

Just saw Brent Axe put this up on his twitter. I don't know what to make of it. Maybe this turns in to a bonding experience or something.

Duke would have still had a 1 and 1 if we fouled them after the offensive foul. The Fair call was atrocious, but we only had 8 team fouls after the Fair offensive foul. I still think we lose, and don't really blame JB for getting upset if he felt it would help in the future. However, I am glad JB took some time to make sure the players don't get too pissed at him.

Duke would have still had a 1 and 1 if we fouled them after the offensive foul. The Fair call was atrocious, but we only had 8 team fouls after the Fair offensive foul. I still think we lose, and don't really blame JB for getting upset if he felt it would help in the future. However, I am glad JB took some time to make sure the players don't get too pissed at him.

CJ's "charge" was the 9th team foul.

19:40SUFOUL by CHRISTMAS,RAKEEM
16:21SUFOUL by CHRISTMAS,RAKEEM
12:50SUFOUL by KEITA,BAYE MOUSSA
11:38SUFOUL by GRANT,JERAMI
11:11SUFOUL by GBINIJE,MICHAEL
10:28SUFOUL by GBINIJE,MICHAEL
00:52SUFOUL by GRANT,JERAMI
00:24SUFOUL by FAIR,CJ
00:11SUFOUL by FAIR,CJ

CJ's "charge" was the 9th team foul.

19:40SUFOUL by CHRISTMAS,RAKEEM
16:21SUFOUL by CHRISTMAS,RAKEEM
12:50SUFOUL by KEITA,BAYE MOUSSA
11:38SUFOUL by GRANT,JERAMI
11:11SUFOUL by GBINIJE,MICHAEL
10:28SUFOUL by GBINIJE,MICHAEL
00:52SUFOUL by GRANT,JERAMI
00:24SUFOUL by FAIR,CJ
00:11SUFOUL by FAIR,CJ
I am going by what I saw at Cameron Indoor I guess the scoreboard had it wrong then. I still don't think we would have won, but Duke would have had to hit 2 FTs. I better make sure everything I say is right so nobody has to correct me anymore.

He doesn't need to apologize to anyone.

In my opinion, if Boeheim really did lose track of time I think apologizing to the team was the right thing to do. Even if the chances at a win were only 5.5% at that point, I think that the team deserved to have a crack at it. They played a grueling game and hung with Duke at home. I would have liked to see them get their last chance.

As OrangeXtreme noted above, I'm pretty sure that CJ's foul was the 9th team foul. That would have put Duke on the line for two FTs with around 8.5 seconds left. Keep in mind that the 2008 championship game was nearly the identical situation. Memphis was up by two with 10 seconds left and Derrick Rose stepped to the line and went 1/2. Chalmers hit a three to send it to OT.

Saturday night Duke was pretty poor from the line. It's not unreasonable to think that they might also go 1/2. And yes, a last second three is unlikely, especially with the way Syracuse shot most of the game. However, in the 2008 game Kansas had only made two 3's until Chalmers hit the third. Syracuse had only hit two 3's as well.

Just something to compare it to.

Edit to add: I don't think this is the type of team, or the type of individual players, that would hold any resentment towards Boeheim for this. I think the apology just solidifies the team even more.

I can't imagine how many times JB has yelled to his players to know how much time is left while on the court. That's a major admission for him to make to say that he was not aware of the time in that sequence. Good for him.

4 secs is plenty of time to take a shot at a steal. Frankly, I think Jimmy is rationalizing - he just lost it & blew any chance the team had for a W - nuff said.

I do give him credit for being man enough to apologize though.

I can't imagine how many times JB has yelled to his players to know how much time is left while on the court. That's a major admission for him to make to say that he was not aware of the time in that sequence. Good for him.

I don't think he is being honest in saying he thought there was only 4 seconds left in the game. But it gives him a basis for admitting his error. What I did in robbing you of a final chance to win the game with 10 seconds left was wrong, but had there only been 4 seconds as I thought at the time it wasn't wrong.

As OrangeXtreme noted above, I'm pretty sure that CJ's foul was the 9th team foul. That would have put Duke on the line for two FTs with around 8.5 seconds left. Keep in mind that the 2008 championship game was nearly the identical situation. Memphis was up by two with 10 seconds left and Derrick Rose stepped to the line and went 1/2. Chalmers hit a three to send it to OT.

Kansas was playing on a neutral floor, with neutral refs, and they weren't in foul trouble during the OT.

SU's chances in OT were less than optimal. Grant, Rak, and Baye all had 4 fouls, and I'm sure Tony Greene had already anticipated ringing one or more of them up. :eek:

I don't think he owes anything to the fans, but in my opinion the players who fought hard for 39 minutes and 50 seconds definitely deserve it.
If I was one of boeheims players and saw that. This.

I'm gump boeheims the drill sargeant

I don't think he is being honest in saying he thought there was only 4 seconds left in the game. But it gives him a basis for admitting his error. What I did in robbing you of a final chance to win the game with 10 seconds left was wrong, but had there only been 4 seconds as I thought at the time it wasn't wrong.
It is unacceptable for a coach to not be aware of the time left on the clock in that sequence. JB himself got into Hak Warrick a few years ago in an ND game for throwing the ball in the air at the end of a game too early with time still on the clock. If JB is lying about this then it is no apology at all.

It's JB admitting he was wrong and that with 10 seconds, still a good at a 3 to tie the game. Really quite simple. The way Duke was shooting from the line, I liked our odds of having a 3 pointer to try and tie the game. Really it's one shot to tie

Ok. Cool. Makes me feel better that he somewhat admitted he made a mistake.

Let's play ball! Let the team take their frustration out tonight!

Kansas was playing on a neutral floor, with neutral refs, and they weren't in foul trouble during the OT.

SU's chances in OT were less than optimal. Grant, Rak, and Baye all had 4 fouls, and I'm sure Tony Greene had already anticipated ringing one or more of them up. :eek:

Yup, I do agree with you that OT would have been tough with our foul situation. Parker and Hood were scoring at will down the stretch with our guys unable to be aggressive defensively.

I still think that the team would have rather gone to OT and see what happens than lose with 10 seconds like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom