Boeheim apologizes | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim apologizes

He doesn't need to apologize to anyone.

Two days later I still have no problem with what Boeheim did, but how much of a hypocrite would he be if he didn't apologize to his team. So, Fair isn't allowed to utter a word that earns him a tech, but Boeheim can run on the court like a mad man, get ejected and effectively end any hope his team had of winning? That would be some double standard, even for a coach.

I never believe that a game is over when a team leads by two points with ten seconds remaining. I've seen far too many crazy endings to go along with his comment that we had lost when the charge call was made.

I have to say that all of these computer generated odds about the possibility of what could occur during a college hoops game are somewhat meaningless. I follow that our chances of winning when trailing by two after the charge call was low but telling me the actual percentages is distracting. Too many things can happen in those ten seconds.

Ennis made a layup to put Syracuse up one with 5:27 to go against NC State and we did not make another field goal the rest of the game except for CJ's basket that won it at the end. What are the odds that SU would win that game only hitting one field goal during the final 5:27? Do those percentages really matter? I feel the same way about Ennis hitting the shot at the buzzer to beat Pitt. Who cares if a computer says the Cuse had a 2.3% chance of pulling that game out. I've seen too many crazy madcap dashes down the court in the closing seconds end with a wild buzzer beater to have any interest in what some computer spits out.

Go Cuse!

He doesn't need to apologize to anyone.
Respectivily he doesn't to any of us, but he does to the kids who play for him. You don't call out players and then do that to them.

Bravo Jim for recognizing the impact and keeping his players respect...

The only person he really should be apologizing to is Hopkins though... I don't expect a coach that gets ejected from his first game ever after 38 seasons on his way to retirement anytime soon. ;)

It's great that Boeheim apologized to his players. He owes ZERO apology to the fans though. Love his FIRE at age 69.

I don't think he is being honest in saying he thought there was only 4 seconds left in the game. But it gives him a basis for admitting his error. What I did in robbing you of a final chance to win the game with 10 seconds left was wrong, but had there only been 4 seconds as I thought at the time it wasn't wrong.
I hope this is not correct - as sabach said above, that would not be a real apology. And if this time related apology to the team gets brought up by the national media, JB will look like an idiot. Not for apologizing to his team but for not knowing the time left. I can see them saying if he does not know how much time is left, how much does he know about other things? Which of course would be taking it too far but you know the media - they love making a story.

If he had simply apologized to the team for not giving them a final opportunity to win, that would have been ideal. By adding in the time element, people are now left to wonder if he was being truthful about that or not. If he was being truthful about it, then I can understand about people saying that was inexcusable. On the other hand, coaches are people too and we all make mistakes. I'll give JB the benefit of the doubt on this one.

By the way, does anyone know who broke this story and if it has been confirmed yet? Gotta think someone will ask JB about it.

I hope he tried to tear off his jacket when apologizing. I hope he runs around trying to tear off his jacket when doing ANYTHING from here on out b/c that was the coolest.

I hope he tried to tear off his jacket when apologizing. I hope he runs around trying to tear off his jacket when doing ANYTHING from here on out b/c that was the coolest.
He needs velcro in the back for more effective tearing.

So, Fair isn't allowed to utter a word that earns him a tech, but Boeheim can run on the court like a mad man, get ejected and effectively end any hope his team had of winning? That would be some double standard, even for a coach.

I understand the argument, but he chose to defend his team after that final charge call. It's part of the hierarchy. Players play, coaches coach. Part of coaching is interacting with the referees. JB has seen enough.

With that said, must have been hard for CJ to not completely blow a fuse after that whistle. Credit to the kids for keeping cool, and I expect a big response from them after this incident.

Tom Brennan owes JB an apology for being an A-1 classless douche bag on his XM radio show today. Completely threw JB under the bus. I hate that guy.

Tom Brennan owes JB an apology for being an A-1 classless douche bag on his XM radio show today. Completely threw JB under the bus. I hate that guy.

I'm stunned he has a radio show and even more stunned that you were listening.

You would have loved the 2/18/84 Connecticut game. It went three overtimes and we won 87-85. At the end of one of those overtimes, we got a rebound with the lead and, instead of milking the clock, Pearl Washington tried a 60 foot alley-oop that turned into an alley-oops, winding up three rows in the stands. JB ripped off his jacket, threw it on the ground, jumped up and down on it, tore off his tie and did the same thing with it. He was going for his shirt before the coaching staff stopped him from going any further. Those were the days.

The players deserved an apology, kudos to Boeheim for doing so.

You would have loved the 2/18/84 Connecticut game. It went three overtimes and we won 87-85. At the end of one of those overtimes, we got a rebound with the lead and, instead of milking the clock, Pearl Washington tried a 60 foot alley-oop that turned into an alley-oops, winding up three rows in the stands. JB ripped off his jacket, threw it on the ground, jumped up and down on it, tore off his tie and did the same thing with it. He was going for his shirt before the coaching staff stopped him from going any further. Those were the days.
Damn, that is beastmaster level shirtwork!

Where was youtube back then?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom