Boeheim Book Signing review: New Jersey/NYC area | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim Book Signing review: New Jersey/NYC area

Zippy1808

2nd String
Had the chance to attend a little sliver of Syracuse basketball history last night at Words Bookstore in Maplewood, New Jersey - Coach Boeheim's "first ever" book signing for his "first and last" book.

The event capped what was a long day of press appearances for the coach - starting with an 8:45 appearance on the CBS Morning Show in which Gayle King introduced him twice as "Jim Bay-Him."

Anyway, he made it clear that by the time the 6pm event rolled around, he was pooped. The signing location - which is the only one scheduled anywhere NYC right now and likely until the season is over -- seemed odd, an independent suburban bookstore 20 miles from Manhattan. However, it is a great little place owned by a husband and wife "Syracuse family."

Given the time and place, I was expecting a modest turnout. However, it was packed. Probably 120 people - most wearing orange - (including a lot of kids) in what was not a large space. I heard a clerk say they sold out of their 160 books.

Boeheim appeared promptly at 6pm (perhaps a few minutes before), and spoke for no more than 10 minutes after a brief introduction from the store owner. His talk was mainly focused on the upcoming season - and how the team clearly has a lot of work to do after the Carleton game - which gave him laryngitis from screaming so much. He maybe spent one minute talking about the actual book, which he said he wanted to wait for Jack McCallum to do. He then touched on the dreaded "retirement" issue unprompted -- saying again there will be a day he wakes up and doesn't want to do it anymore -- but with teenage twins at home, this is clearly not that time! It was funny.

After a question from the store owner - again about the season ahead - and not the book - he ended his brief remarks by saying "now let me sign all your books so we can get the heck out of here." It was maybe 6:10 at that point.

We were then ushered upstairs to line up for the signing. Coach was clearly exhausted, but obliged for photos and also was gracious about personalizing the books. All were signed with "GO CUSE!!" before his autograph.

I dove into the book when I got home. It's an easy and enjoyable read. It seems like it's not going to break a ton of new ground for those of us who are diehards (and the Requiem for the Big East documentary spoiled a lot the book too) - but I look forward to finishing it, and I'm not one to routinely pick up 300 page books. It costs $27.99 in hardcover, although I'm sure you can certainly find it for cheaper online.

He is doing several signings in the CNY area over the next few weeks - Wegmans in Dewitt was just added - and then will likely shut it down for the season. I'm sure the crowds will be huge for all of them.

LGO!

Timing seems odd for him to be doing any book signings from a primary job perspective, obviously from a book sales perspective it makes sense.

I am actually somewhat surprised that he is doing any book signings or promotional appearances, just doesn't fit my perception of his personality for him to be out there promoting himself or anything directly connected to him as an individual.

Had the chance to attend a little sliver of Syracuse basketball history last night at Words Bookstore in Maplewood, New Jersey - Coach Boeheim's "first ever" book signing for his "first and last" book.

The event capped what was a long day of press appearances for the coach - starting with an 8:45 appearance on the CBS Morning Show in which Gayle King introduced him twice as "Jim Bay-Him."

Anyway, he made it clear that by the time the 6pm event rolled around, he was pooped. The signing location - which is the only one scheduled anywhere NYC right now and likely until the season is over -- seemed odd, an independent suburban bookstore 20 miles from Manhattan. However, it is a great little place owned by a husband and wife "Syracuse family."

Given the time and place, I was expecting a modest turnout. However, it was packed. Probably 120 people - most wearing orange - (including a lot of kids) in what was not a large space. I heard a clerk say they sold out of their 160 books.

Boeheim appeared promptly at 6pm (perhaps a few minutes before), and spoke for no more than 10 minutes after a brief introduction from the store owner. His talk was mainly focused on the upcoming season - and how the team clearly has a lot of work to do after the Carleton game - which gave him laryngitis from screaming so much. He maybe spent one minute talking about the actual book, which he said he wanted to wait for Jack McCallum to do. He then touched on the dreaded "retirement" issue unprompted -- saying again there will be a day he wakes up and doesn't want to do it anymore -- but with teenage twins at home, this is clearly not that time! It was funny.

After a question from the store owner - again about the season ahead - and not the book - he ended his brief remarks by saying "now let me sign all your books so we can get the heck out of here." It was maybe 6:10 at that point.

We were then ushered upstairs to line up for the signing. Coach was clearly exhausted, but obliged for photos and also was gracious about personalizing the books. All were signed with "GO CUSE!!" before his autograph.

I dove into the book when I got home. It's an easy and enjoyable read. It seems like it's not going to break a ton of new ground for those of us who are diehards (and the Requiem for the Big East documentary spoiled a lot the book too) - but I look forward to finishing it, and I'm not one to routinely pick up 300 page books. It costs $27.99 in hardcover, although I'm sure you can certainly find it for cheaper online.

He is doing several signings in the CNY area over the next few weeks - Wegmans in Dewitt was just added - and then will likely shut it down for the season. I'm sure the crowds will be huge for all of them.

LGO!

I'm from Maplewood, NJ. Sending you a PM now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom