Boeheim got schooled by a rookie coach | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim got schooled by a rookie coach

Kevin Oliie knew exactly how to take it to Boeheim's defense.Boeheim was very content on allowing u-con control the temple and flow of the whole game.

We got killed on the boards when it mattered,killed by better quicker and smarter players who listen to their coach.U-CON is also head and shoulders better than us at the free throw line.

what it all comes down to is the two shortest players on the court took us behind the woodshed and pounded us into oblivion with lesser talent on paper.

MCW has proven again he is not a lottery player,his assist to turnover ratio has gone from 3.4 to 1 as a freshmen to 2.1 to 1 this year. His 3 point percentage dropped almost 10% from last to within a few thousands of cooney's % .299 to .295.Lottery picks numbers just don't drop like a led zeppelin.There was a damn good reason why scoop played all those minutes last year and he didn't get drafted must mean something.

Then the arrogance to mock u-con is second to none

This is JB's weak point as a coach. Teams follow their leader, and JB is not one to be aggressive and dictate the flow of the game. His teams have always had the quality of a counter-puncher who exploit the weaknesses of its opponents. We don't take control, get a lead, and stomp on their heads (figuratively) like we should. However, if there is no weakness shown, and the other team seizes command, our teams seem to acquiesce and play based on fear, not aggression. We play not to lose in those instances, and ultimately this is a formula for not winning.

In between the "" stuff, every fan on here spent the last two weeks talking about what a horrible front line UConn has and how we're going to eat them alive.

Then Syracuse goes out and shoots 17? 19? threes? Really - that's the gameplan against a team who would immediately start Billy Celuck or Dave Siock if they had eligibility left? Wow.

Boeheim got outcoached by the young guy. That was bad.

In between the "" stuff, every fan on here spent the last two weeks talking about what a horrible front line UConn has and how we're going to eat them alive.

Then Syracuse goes out and shoots 17? 19? threes? Really - that's the gameplan against a team who would immediately start Billy Celuck or Dave Siock if they had eligibility left? Wow.

Without their best big. Olander and Giffey throwing down dunks over our backline. If you think about it, it's actually hilarious.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Ollie

He then starred for four seasons (1991–95) at the University of Connecticut. After his college playing days were over, he joined the Connecticut Pride of the Continental Basketball Association, playing with them from 1995 to 1997. After that, he began playing in the NBA.
In the 2005–06 season, Ollie was given a starting role by Sixers head coach Maurice Cheeks. The Minnesota Timberwolves made Ollie their captain during the 2008–09 season. He was then signed by the Oklahoma City Thunder on August 1, 2009 for the veteran's minimum. After the season Ollie retired to join the Connecticut Huskies as an assistant coach.[3]

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Kevin Ollie has every quality to be a top-flight coach right now, esp at UConn. He was well-respected as a player there, he earned huge credibility in the NBA, and was an assistant to Calhoun for multiple seasons at UConn.

In a game situation, the X's and O's of being a coach is the easy part. The more important part is being a motivator. Clearly, Ollie has huge cred with his players and can motivate them. He has this quality over Boeheim - this gets back to JB's weakness as a coach. Kevin Ollie motivated his players to win last night. JB motivates his players not to lose. It's not hard to figure out who is going to win the game most of the time under those circumstances.

Without their best big. Olander and Giffey throwing down dunks over our backline. If you think about it, it's actually hilarious.

Our wings were bad - really bad - on defense.

Thought Fair was a little overrated defensively last year but had rounded into form this season. James is our best, though he was pretty poor against St. John's (no surprise - a month with no game reps is going to be problematic). The way they lost UConn guys on the baseline last night was absurd.

Despite that, and despite UConn shooting threes as well as we shot free throws, they only scored 66 points. Even a meagre effort to post up their bigs would have gotten us a dozen more points.

Hey - maybe there's the upside from last night's game: we learned that Fair actually has a post-up game. (So why didn't he get the ball every trip down the court?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Ollie

He then starred for four seasons (1991–95) at the University of Connecticut. After his college playing days were over, he joined the Connecticut Pride of the Continental Basketball Association, playing with them from 1995 to 1997. After that, he began playing in the NBA.
In the 2005–06 season, Ollie was given a starting role by Sixers head coach Maurice Cheeks. The Minnesota Timberwolves made Ollie their captain during the 2008–09 season. He was then signed by the Oklahoma City Thunder on August 1, 2009 for the veteran's minimum. After the season Ollie retired to join the Connecticut Huskies as an assistant coach.[3]

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Kevin Ollie has every quality to be a top-flight coach right now, esp at UConn. He was well-respected as a player there, he earned huge credibility in the NBA, and was an assistant to Calhoun for multiple seasons at UConn.

In a game situation, the X's and O's of being a coach is the easy part. The more important part is being a motivator. Clearly, Ollie has huge cred with his players and can motivate them. He has this quality over Boeheim - this gets back to JB's weakness as a coach. Kevin Ollie motivated his players to win last night. JB motivates his players not to lose. It's not hard to figure out who is going to win the game most of the time under those circumstances.

Yeah, don't mean to sell Ollie short.

That was one of our most disappointing games in awhile; unlike our first three losses, the coaching staff shares a portion of the blame with the players. Top to bottom, poor performance.

Kevin Oliie knew exactly how to take it to Boeheim's defense.Boeheim was very content on allowing u-con control the temple and flow of the whole game.

We got killed on the boards when it mattered,killed by better quicker and smarter players who listen to their coach.U-CON is also head and shoulders better than us at the free throw line.

what it all comes down to is the two shortest players on the court took us behind the woodshed and pounded us into oblivion with lesser talent on paper.

MCW has proven again he is not a lottery player,his assist to turnover ratio has gone from 3.4 to 1 as a freshmen to 2.1 to 1 this year. His 3 point percentage dropped almost 10% from last to within a few thousands of cooney's % .299 to .295.Lottery picks numbers just don't drop like a led zeppelin.There was a damn good reason why scoop played all those minutes last year and he didn't get drafted must mean something.

Then the arrogance to mock u-con is second to none

I agree that the unsavory nature of some of these posts is a stain upon Syracuse. We should comport ourselves as good sportsmen. I am heartened to see well articulated posts such as yours focusing on Xs and Os. That being said, I disagree with your general premise. I was speaking to a UConn person after the game and he told me that UConn's strategy was predicated on making X amount of 3s, and they made 8. Our defensive strategy was clearly focused upon not giving up open looks. This was about EXECUTION, not STRATEGY. Our team is a foot taller at every position, so the open looks were a failure of executing a rather spectacular JB game plan, allowing a rather pedestrian KO game plan to bear fruit.

I'm sure every coach draws it up for their kids to make shots. When started to make their run they were 6 of 6 from the 3 point line. We couldn't hit water standing on a dock tonight. game set match.

Hey - maybe there's the upside from last night's game: we learned that Fair actually has a post-up game. (So why didn't he get the ball every trip down the court?)

The man guarding him being fooled that CJ was going to go right is a great example of how bad their bigs actually are.

The man guarding him being fooled that CJ was going to go right is a great example of how bad their bigs actually are.

Good call. Guy didn't have a clue. Damn, that was a missed opportunity - could have been one of those nights where our best forward scores 30 and our bigs get some easy dunks as things open up.

Instead, 23 threes...

Our wings were bad - really bad - on defense.

Thought Fair was a little overrated defensively last year but had rounded into form this season. James is our best, though he was pretty poor against St. John's (no surprise - a month with no game reps is going to be problematic). The way they lost UConn guys on the baseline last night was absurd.

Despite that, and despite UConn shooting threes as well as we shot free throws, they only scored 66 points. Even a meagre effort to post up their bigs would have gotten us a dozen more points.

Yeah, totally agree. James really struggled on D. I liked your upside part about Fair and the post-up game. I don't think Ollie did anything special we just played really poorly although not trying to take their guards down low was strange. Then again, who knows if we would have the smarts to pass it if they are coming with late help. I am just concerned with the same old issue of MCW/Triche dealing with smaller/quicker/peskier guards playing aggressive D. There are only a few teams with this potential kryptonite. OSU/Florida/MSU come to mind.

our

Yeah, totally agree. James really struggled on D. I liked your upside part about Fair and the post-up game. I don't think Ollie did anything special we just played really poorly although not trying to take their guards down low was strange. Then again, who knows if we would have the smarts to pass it if they are coming with late help. I am just concerned with the same old issue of MCW/Triche dealing with smaller/quicker/peskier guards playing aggressive D. There are only a few teams with this potential kryptonite. OSU/Florida/MSU come to mind.

We do seem to have too many players with tunnel vision - once they commit to backing a guy down and shooting, passing is no longer an option.

Would hate to see us play Ohio State again - that really would be kryptonite.

We do seem to have too many players with tunnel vision - once they commit to backing a guy down and shooting, passing is no longer an option.

Would hate to see us play Ohio State again - that really would be kryptonite.

CJ started the game off with something he rarely does - pass to Rak for the alleyoop dunk. LOVED that play. Never saw anything like that from him again. I love his play, but every once in a while, he has to dish to an open guy so the defenders know he's not ALWAYS going to shoot.

CJ started the game off with something he rarely does - pass to Rak for the alleyoop dunk. LOVED that play. Never saw anything like that from him again. I love his play, but every once in a while, he has to dish to an open guy so the defenders know he's not ALWAYS going to shoot.

That was great. Nice angle on the pass, too - would have been much more diffcult for a righty.

Need more of that.

Calhoun's players had the game plan to shred the zone for years, obviously Ollie learned well.

Bingo. I don't care how well you gameplan, bottom line is that the players still have to go out and actually execute. UConn's overall execution is what won the game for them.

I know I'm in the minority here, but of all the games to call MCW out on... there was way more bad things going on than his play. Yeah, he had 1 assist to 4 turnovers. Outside of MCW, we made 17 shots as a team. You simply aren't going to get assists when the team can't make a shot. MCW was actually making his shots last night, and didn't seem like he was really taking that many bad shots. It wasn't like Triche and Southerland attempting 3 pointers from nearly half court.

We couldn't rebound to save our lives defensively. Our rotations in the zone were horrific. Our shooting was horrific. UConn made their shots. We didn't.

MCW was probably our best player last night (which isn't saying much considering how bad everyone was; don't get it twisted, I don't think he played very well either). But he wasn't the problem last night, and I highly doubt that game hurts his draft stock at all.

I know I'm in the minority here, but of all the games to call MCW out on... there was way more bad things going on than his play. Yeah, he had 1 assist to 4 turnovers. Outside of MCW, we made 17 shots as a team. You simply aren't going to get assists when the team can't make a shot. MCW was actually making his shots last night, and didn't seem like he was really taking that many bad shots. It wasn't like Triche and Southerland attempting 3 pointers from nearly half court.

We couldn't rebound to save our lives defensively. Our rotations in the zone were horrific. Our shooting was horrific. UConn made their shots. We didn't.

MCW was probably our best player last night (which isn't saying much considering how bad everyone was; don't get it twisted, I don't think he played very well either). But he wasn't the problem last night, and I highly doubt that game hurts his draft stock at all.

Not so sure about MCW's draft stock. My reaction after the first five minutes was that he really needs to get to the weight room. Lots to like about MCW and his game, but he is not a strong as he could be or should be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom