Boeheim has 31-21 record against higher ranked coaches | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim has 31-21 record against higher ranked coaches

Dave85

Living Legend
As a glance this list seems to be a list of the most successful/talked about coaches recently. Stats like that show why those rankings are nothing but fluff to get through he summer with no true substance. I mean if you talk to anyone with any kind of knowledge of college basketball they would laugh you right out of the room if you tries to argue that Ryan/Miller were better coaches than JB.

Interesting point on recent coach's rankings: "Some of the coaches placed ahead of Boeheim included Arizona's Sean Miller, who has never been to a Final Four, and Wisconsin's Bo Ryan, who has taken the Badgers to just one Final Four. In fact, Boeheim has a 31-21 record against the coaches who were ranked ahead of him."

http://www.nunesmagician.com/2014/7/3/5868853/syracuse-daily-links-su-alums-in-nba-summer-league

Couple things

I don't like ESPNs list. It seems very arbitrary.

That 31-21 number is bolstered by the fact that for years John Belien faced JB with teams that were easily outmatched in West Virginia and Richmond. Hardly surprising that he finally got his first win with a team that had equal talent (ref loss amirite)

Sean and Mike Waters (as well as a lot of people here) have a hard time unrest anoint that this is not an all-time or legacy rankings, so that record, and the fact that JB has more final fours than Bo Ryan, isn't very relevant.

I have no idea what kind of math it takes to come to the conclusion that Miller is a better coach than JB, right now or all time.

Couple things

I don't like ESPNs list. It seems very arbitrary.

That 31-21 number is bolstered by the fact that for years John Belien faced JB with teams that were easily outmatched in West Virginia and Richmond. Hardly surprising that he finally got his first win with a team that had equal talent (ref loss amirite)

Sean and Mike Waters (as well as a lot of people here) have a hard time unrest anoint that this is not an all-time or legacy rankings, so that record, and the fact that JB has more final fours than Bo Ryan, isn't very relevant.

I have no idea what kind of math it takes to come to the conclusion that Miller is a better coach than JB, right now or all time.

Maybe it was based on the number of successful players in the NBA. But I don't think the Orange would be that bad on that list.

A lot people in CBB just don't like the 2-3 zone and what JB has done. I think they may think playing 2-3 is a cheap way to get a lot of victories. But I see it more as team defense allows players of lower caliber to be capable of beating teams with higher caliber talent. Not to say our teams do not have talent. I am just saying when the 2-3 zone is working really well it causes really good teams a lot of problems.

I think against teams with really good talent what we've lacked that's really hurt our success is credible and consistent outside shooting. I would argue solid outside shooting has got to be a major priority. Malachi can not start playing soon enough!!! I have this theory that after the Duke win TC got a really cute girlfriend and his shooting percentage dropped like a rock.

I have an inverse opinion of the 2-3 zone and that is it allows inferior teams to hang around with us.

Also, Boeheim has had better players than a lot of guys on that list, of course recruiting is a huge part of coaching so that shouldn't be discounted but is where the theory that JB underachieves comes from.

It does appear this list is more about recent success, but that's not true because JB has won more games in the past 5 years than just about anyone not named Bill Self. He has also held a #1 ranking in at least 3 of the past 5 years and went to a Final Four. So bottom line is: whatever.

That's a pretty good record considering these other coaches have had some excellent teams. Think about that, anything over .500 would be very good.

The list made little sense, IMO. Say what you want about JB but his record speaks for itself. By almost every measure, he should've been ranked much higher than he was. Joke.

The list made little sense, IMO. Say what you want about JB but his record speaks for itself. By almost every measure, he should've been ranked much higher than he was. Joke.

That's why I start the thread. His record against the so called "better" coaches speaks for itself.

And no coach in CBB can dance so emphatically across the court after a crazy bad call!

That's why I start the thread. His record against the so called "better" coaches speaks for itself.

And no coach in CBB can dance so emphatically across the court after a crazy bad call!
boeheim1.jpg

I just wish he could learn to be as good as Greg Marshall or Kevin Ollie. Then we'd have something.

I just wish he could learn to be as good as Greg Marshall or Kevin Ollie. Then we'd have something.

My only real criticism of JB and the staff is I wish we had some kind of team motion offense to go along with the defense. But motion offense is not in vogue nowadays. Bobby Knight won 3 national championships. Here are some notes on his motion offense:

http://www.knight880.com/special/stories/motion.shtml

It would be nice if we had more than three offensive plays per season. Something other teams can't key in on. I think once our competition figure us out our offense was shut down.

My only real criticism of JB and the staff is I wish we had some kind of team motion offense to go along with the defense. But motion offense is not in vogue nowadays. Bobby Knight won 3 national championships. Here are some notes on his motion offense:

http://www.knight880.com/special/stories/motion.shtml

It would be nice if we had more than three offensive plays per season. Something other teams can't key in on. I think once our competition figure us out our offense was shut down.
At the start of every season, our defense keeps it close and we win lotsa games as teams struggle to adjust to the zone. As teams get better, they attack it better. By the end of the season if our offense isn't clicking, we'll usually have a lull because stingy zone D is just not enough. The question always becomes can we get enough consistent and efficient offense, to supplement our quirky, unusual, hard to adjust to, defense.
When we've been ably to do that, we go far- when we don't, we get bumped, sometimes early. And because the teams in the dance are better, the chances of our D getting solved increase exponentially.
IMO, the key to any successful SU season is how potent our offense is by years end. Our D is usually solid, our O makes the difference between a good vs great year. JMHO