boeheim is a hero | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

boeheim is a hero

do we want to reward euro electric slide soccer playing flopping little girls. if you jump, i'm going to slide under you. if you try to avoid contact, i'll just fall down and pretend like there was

or do we want to reward high flying graceful artistry

they should build a statue of jb. not just at the dome. everywhere where there is a hoop.

you can't just change the rules. you have to hold the refs accountable. old horse new tricks.
"Hero"
Really?
A "hero"???
Regardless of whether you like what he did...I don't see that as an appropriate word for a basketball coach who blows his top.

It's not just the tirade--it's how he killed the press conference afterward.

Moving forward, I'd have to imagine that referees will be thinking about their calls in that building for awhile, especially after the way Maryland was hosed there this year, too. I can't imagine that any referee who takes the profession seriously wants to be the next one to make a controversial call that saves Duke--his call would be scrutinized heavily in the wake of the coverage this has received and will, rightly or wrongly, be assumed to be "shenanigans."

Only time will tell, but Coach Boeheim may have put a serious crack in the mystique that is Cameron Indoor Stadium. If so, he was correct on one point--they will remember him down there.

On top of that, officiating has played a pivotal factor in Syracuse's last three NCAA Tournament losses. I can imagine that many referees may reevaluate what to call and when to call it as a result of the discussion this tantrum has generated. It will be interesting to see how the team's remaining games, especially in the NCAA Tourney, are officiated this season.

Phil Jackson was a master at swaying officiating in his favor by taking not-so-subtle jabs at the referees during press conferences after NBA playoff games. Boeheim's approach on the court was obviously more emotionally raw than Jackson's, but his press conference had a true sense of "Phil" to it in terms of its purpose. Jackson often got "the benefit of the doubt" after his "musings." Ultimately, Coach Boeheim's outburst and subsequent press conference may lead to similarly positive outcomes.

Such results are bigger than winning one regular season basketball game.

corrected

jim boeheim
mother theresa
nelson mandela
and why does theresa have an H

every friggin year i write a christmas card to my aunt and have to ask my mom is it with an H or no H, every year it pisses me off, and every year I forget how to spell it

stupid H

Did he accomplish anything other than sealing the loss?
He planted a seed with the officials for future games (much as K does with regularity), and with any luck, we won't see SU again get boned this season by crappy officiating in an elimination game.

We're gonna make the NCAAs, and this will be remembered. We may not get such a bad call again, we may, but then again, we may not.
Don't waffle on me. Give me a strong prediction.;)

He planted a seed with the officials for future games (much as K does with regularity), and with any luck, we won't see SU again get boned this season by crappy officiating in an elimination game.
Or he angered the refs even more.

He lit the fuse that started the conversation about the block/charge call. You can bet the NCAA will be talking about it as well as John Adams and the ACC at the end of this season, maybe sooner.

do we want to reward euro electric slide soccer playing flopping little girls. if you jump, i'm going to slide under you. if you try to avoid contact, i'll just fall down and pretend like there was

they should build a statue of jb. not just at the dome. everywhere where there is a hoop.

you can't just change the rules. you have to hold the refs accountable. old horse new tricks.

Having been the supervisor of officials before in multiple places, one of the first things I tell my guys is to resist the temptation to make a game changing call unless it's blatantly obvious. If you haven't made that call for the whole game, don't make it in the last minute or two. Stuff like that.

So for Tony Greene's egregious unprofessionalism, I would urge the NCAA/ACC to ban him from further duties. We don't want unstable egomaniacs refereeing critical basketball games.

Most importantly (I hope) he has now lit a fire under his team. We were in a complacent, timid, defensive funk - playing not to lose, which is a whole different and much worse attitude than playing to win. Hopefully we will play with some fire, confidence, aggression, and, yes, anger. Nothing motivates a team better than anger, however sad a statement that may be sociologically. Playing angry is not a Boeheim team trademark, but it needs to be.

Like baseball where the tie goes to the runner, any tie in basketball should be a foul called on the defender. Not saying this was a tie anyhow as the defender's left leg was moving when CJ went up.

I wonder why didn't JB make his outburst right after the horrible block call on Gbinije? After all, that was the most blatant blown call which should've elicited a JB outburst... yet he smiled and waved his hands at the refs for that miscall... and there had been plenty of hand-checking 'n other nonsense that Duke has done up to that point... whereas Fair's "charge" was 50/50, or a no-call at best, and he goes ballistic. If yer gonna make a statement and get T'ed up, do it when it's more obvious and not essentially end the game at the end. Even unbiased officials have noted the Fair "charge" is 50/50 call. It's not as obvious as JB/many would like to believe... and if you think so, you're watching the replay through orange shades... most fans can't tell me that if roles were reversed, and SU was up 2, with Duke charging at the end, that 90% of this board wouldn't be agreeing with a charge call as being accurate.

Let's not forget our NC St. where they got jobbed by the refs at the end on the missed call for an and-1 foul on Cooney. Basically, the NC St. and Duke games evened themselves out by the refs.

All I ask for tonight is to blow MD out of the water, play like a Top 5 team, and not leave the game up to the refs in the closing minutes.