Boeheim most unlucky coach ever? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim most unlucky coach ever?

Sorry if you thought I was attacking you or trying to silence your opinion. I was just providing my perspective on all of this, as I'm sure others were also doing. We all have different expectations for the program and that's cool. Peace.

In the words of Walter Sobchak--- "And a good day to you sir!"

While I'm not a big fan of this "elite" or "not elite" issue, your point that a team's status can change significantly over time is a good one.

I think what we can say about SU (and Boeheim) is that the program has been consistently strong, and sometimes very strong, over an incredibly long period of time, and that few other programs can make a similar claim.

Agree. "Elite" is a pretty nebulous term, and - as someone else said - I don't care if we label ourselves "elite" or if casual observers or other teams' fans want to tag us with that name.

Fact is, our body of work has been excellent for the past three-plus decades, something only a small group of schools can claim.

It's also the case that our postseason performance has not, over that span, been strong. A Final Four visit is a rare and special thing for Syracuse.

People seem to have difficulty reconciling those two facts, either trying to ignore the second fact altogether or trying to discount the first one because of our average postseason experience. Don't know why; it's OK to admit that our deep tournament runs are infrequent, and it's also perfectly fine to note our terrific success over 35 years while acknowledging that there have been flaws.

Either way, it's fun to watch.

Agree. "Elite" is a pretty nebulous term, and - as someone else said - I don't care if we label ourselves "elite" or if casual observers or other teams' fans want to tag us with that name.

Fact is, our body of work has been excellent for the past three-plus decades, something only a small group of schools can claim.

It's also the case that our postseason performance has not, over that span, been strong. A Final Four visit is a rare and special thing for Syracuse.

People seem to have difficulty reconciling those two facts, either trying to ignore the second fact altogether or trying to discount the first one because of our average postseason experience. Don't know why; it's OK to admit that our deep tournament runs are infrequent, and it's also perfectly fine to note our terrific success over 35 years while acknowledging that there have been flaws.

Either way, it's fun to watch.

Bingo. Thank you.