Boeheim Numbers | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim Numbers

SWC75

Bored Historian
Here are some numbers on Jim Boeheim, updated through the end of the 2011-12 season:

The top ten winningest NCAA major college basketball schools from the 1976-77 season through the 2011-12 season:
North Carolina 976 wins
Kansas 960 wins
Kentucky 929 wins
Duke 917 wins
Syracuse 890 wins
Georgetown and Louisville 820 wins
UCLA 797 wins
Arkansas 793 wins
Arizona 790 wins
Connecticut 782 wins
Oklahoma 775 wins
Indiana 752 wins

His all-time Big East record, (including the tournament) is 361-191, .654, the most conference wins of any coach by far. Of course, he’s the only coach who’s been there the whole way but that’s a point in his favor, too.

He’s 47-28 in conference tourney games, 9-5 in the NIT and 48-29 in the NCAA for a total post-season record of 104-62.(.627). He’s lost to a lower seed 27 times but has beaten a higher seed 25 times. But he’s only been an underdog 56 times and it typically ahs been a to a very high seed. He’s actually more likely to pull off an upset when an underdog than to be upset as a favorite.

He’s only 104-135, (.435) vs. ranked teams. But we haven’t always had ranked teams We’ve finished in the Top 25 twenty-three times and the Top 10 thirteen times. So many of those games were an unranked Syracuse team vs. a ranked team or a ranked Syracuse team vs. a higher-ranked team.

Against teams that later made or were in the NCAA tournament he is 267-212, (.557). 40% of his 194 games coached have been against NCAA tournament teams and 30% of his wins have come against them.

Against coaches who have either won 500 games or have a .650 career winning percentage he is 184-141 (.566). He's 5-2 against the other two 900 win coaches.

In games decided by less than 10 points or in overtime he’s 315-186 (.629).
He’s 525-90 at home (.853). There’s a lot of cupcakes in that but they don’t play cupcakes on the road and JB is 365-214, (.630), away from the Manley and Carrier Domes.

He’s ‘only’ won one national championship but he’s played for it three times. We lost by a point after missing some free throws, lost by 9 to a team with 9 future NBA players and beat a favored Kansas team for the title. Connecticut has won three national tiles, playing a #1 seed, a #4 seed and a #8 seed for the title. We’ve faced two #1 seeds and a #2 seed. We’ve also had four teams achieve a #1 ranking during the season and not make the Final Four. Two of them lost their starting center just before the tournament began. We could easily have 2-3 more titles than we do. The reason we didn’t get them have little to do with coaching.

Here are some numbers on Jim Boeheim, updated through the end of the 2011-12 season:

The top ten winningest NCAA major college basketball schools from the 1976-77 season through the 2011-12 season:
North Carolina 976 wins
Kansas 960 wins
Kentucky 929 wins
Duke 917 wins
Syracuse 890 wins
Georgetown and Louisville 820 wins
UCLA 797 wins
Arkansas 793 wins
Arizona 790 wins
Connecticut 782 wins
Oklahoma 775 wins
Indiana 752 wins

His all-time Big East record, (including the tournament) is 361-191, .654, the most conference wins of any coach by far. Of course, he’s the only coach who’s been there the whole way but that’s a point in his favor, too.

He’s 47-28 in conference tourney games, 9-5 in the NIT and 48-29 in the NCAA for a total post-season record of 104-62.(.627). He’s lost to a lower seed 27 times but has beaten a higher seed 25 times. But he’s only been an underdog 56 times and it typically ahs been a to a very high seed. He’s actually more likely to pull off an upset when an underdog than to be upset as a favorite.

He’s only 104-135, (.435) vs. ranked teams. But we haven’t always had ranked teams We’ve finished in the Top 25 twenty-three times and the Top 10 thirteen times. So many of those games were an unranked Syracuse team vs. a ranked team or a ranked Syracuse team vs. a higher-ranked team.

Against teams that later made or were in the NCAA tournament he is 267-212, (.557). 40% of his 194 games coached have been against NCAA tournament teams and 30% of his wins have come against them.

Against coaches who have either won 500 games or have a .650 career winning percentage he is 184-141 (.566). He's 5-2 against the other two 900 win coaches.

In games decided by less than 10 points or in overtime he’s 315-186 (.629).
He’s 525-90 at home (.853). There’s a lot of cupcakes in that but they don’t play cupcakes on the road and JB is 365-214, (.630), away from the Manley and Carrier Domes.

He’s ‘only’ won one national championship but he’s played for it three times. We lost by a point after missing some free throws, lost by 9 to a team with 9 future NBA players and beat a favored Kansas team for the title. Connecticut has won three national tiles, playing a #1 seed, a #4 seed and a #8 seed for the title. We’ve faced two #1 seeds and a #2 seed. We’ve also had four teams achieve a #1 ranking during the season and not make the Final Four. Two of them lost their starting center just before the tournament began. We could easily have 2-3 more titles than we do. The reason we didn’t get them have little to do with coaching.

Good stuff as usual. Curious about JB's record in tight games. Probably some of it has to do with JB's end game strategy, milking the clock, etc. But I would guess that most better teams win the majority of tight games. Because they are better.

If Team A is, on average, 12 points better than Team B, +/- 5 points, then some percentage of the games will be "tight". And Team A will win most of them. The larger the average difference in strength between the teams, the higher % of them the stronger team will win.

This can be tested if we had the "Line" as well as the final scores of a large sample of games. Are these data available?

I don't know whose numbers are correct, but the info posted by SUAD ahead of last night's game shows his overall Big East record as 402-213 (.654)

355-185 regular season
47-28 BET

I don't know whose numbers are correct, but the info posted by SUAD ahead of last night's game shows his overall Big East record as 402-213 (.654)

355-185 regular season
47-28 BET

I re-checked using the Media Guide and I agree with this. I had put together these numbers for my first "Upside/Downside of JB post after the season a few years ago and just added to it each year. Looking at the records, I'm not sure where the difference, (41-22), came from. At least the percentage is identical. I'll go back over these numbers at the end of the season. Thanks for the heads up.

Great work. Nice summary of a great career, a career that is not yet over, thank God. We have a great coach. I like rundown of other schools since JB started as HC. That is the definition of elite. Top 5 of 320+ Division 1 programs over the last 30+ years.

SWC, good stuff. Nothing substantive to add, but I have SU as 481-92 in the Dome after last night's win. I think Boeheim only lost once in Manley, so he'd have 93 home losses, not 90.

SWC, good stuff. Nothing substantive to add, but I have SU as 481-92 in the Dome after last night's win. I think Boeheim only lost once in Manley, so he'd have 93 home losses, not 90.

I need a new abacus. or more fingers.

Very impressive stats, thanks for finding them. I guess we are one of the "Blue Bloods" of the basketball world since JB took over.

jim boeheim and syracuse has always for the most part been blessed with teams with superior talent.

jim boeheim and syracuse has always for the most part been blessed with teams with superior talent.

Casey Stengel, upon receiving an "Manager of the Year" award: "I couldn'ta done it without my players." :confused:

my thought being is that imo there's not a lot of instances where we overcame better talent becuz of coaching alone.
boeheims greatness has been his yearly consistency. we never suck. we seldom astound.

SWC, wouldn't SU's win total actually be 900 since 1976, since JB has been HC since then? ;)

SWC, wouldn't SU's win total actually be 900 since 1976, since JB has been HC since then? ;)

My numbers were from the 1976-77 season through 2011-12. I'll update them, (and double check them), at the end of the season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom