Boeheim on Pitino/Lville | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim on Pitino/Lville

Whitey23

Twitter Wizard
Matt Sugam
@MattSugam
Jim Boeheim on Rick Pitino saying #Temple and #Memphis can fill the void #Syracuse and #Pitt leave: "Rick's full of ." #BigEast

Matt Sugam
@MattSugam
Boeheim: "If Rick [Pitino] and #Louisville could have left they would have left. Everybody knows it...They would have left in a heartbeat."

Matt Sugam@MattSugam
Jim Boeheim: "If he [Rick Pitino] was in the Big 12 right now like he wanted to be, he’d being saying the Big 12 is the best." #BigEast

Awesome!

He is just saying what everyone already knows, but somebody will take issue with his honesty. Should add some heat to what looks to be a couple of intense games with alot at stake.

That's awesome.

Here's a more complete quote:

“The only thing I’ll say about what Rick said all summer is that if Louisville could have left they would have left. Everybody knows it and I’m really tired of him saying what Syracuse should be or should have done because they would have left in a heartbeat. Everybody knows it,” Boeheim said. “I don’t mind him denying that fact, but when they start talking about Syracuse, I’m going to start talking about them.”

http://zagsblog.com/articles/boeheim-says-pitino-is-full-of-st/

I guess there was some truth to the folks saying the relationship between Boeheim/Pitino has soured the past 5 years.

Boeheim is the best. What other big name coach would be that honest?
Being that honest is a privilege that comes with age--knowing that there are no consequences you cannot weather.

Being that honest is a privilege that comes with age--knowing that there are no consequences you cannot weather.

After weathering the off the court issues we faced last season when people were legitimately calling for his head, he can probably weather anything.

That guy gets funnier with age. Rick on the other hand is losing his marbles.

I don't blame Pitino for supporting the conference he is in, no matter how badly he wants out. But calling out Syracuse and JB, who has been a close friend for decades, that is peculiar and classless. As JB said, he understood Pitino saying what he did, but when you start talking about SU, it is time to fire back. Good for him.

I guess there was some truth to the folks saying the relationship between Boeheim/Pitino has soured the past 5 years.

I love it. Boeheim is totally right. When you say their relationship has soured is that from the we take a vacation together each year in the mid 90's relationship or that you have heard they generally aren't close at all anymore?

In this day and age anything is possible Rutgers went to one bowl game in 100 years and look at them now.

JB is right Pitino is nuts to say they can and pitino is right all things are possible. But Syracuse and Pitt are in the ACC now, and will be better programs for it.

This is the heart of the problem with the new Big East.

If Pitino really believes that, then he does not understand what the BE is. And it's not his fault, he just got here about 5 minutes ago.

But if that is what the conference is becoming, a place where people can think Memphis and Temple can replace what SU brought to the league, then the conference as we knew it, is clearly long dead (which most of us already probably knew).

I don't blame Pitino for supporting the conference he is in, no matter how badly he wants out. But calling out Syracuse and JB, who has been a close friend for decades, that is peculiar and classless. As JB said, he understood Pitino saying what he did, but when you start talking about SU, it is time to fire back. Good for him.
For some reason Pitino seems to be taking it beyond support of the conference he is left with, and seems to have gotten digs in at SU all summer. And he didn't let up.

Seems like he was baiting JB with the Temple nonsense, the idea one would win 6 the other 4. How about SU would be heavy favorites every time they played. Does Pitino really think the line will be close to even in NY? I doubt it.

This is the heart of the problem with the new Big East.

If Pitino really believes that, then he does not understand what the BE is. And it's not his fault, he just got here about 5 minutes ago.

But if that is what the conference is becoming, a place where people can think Memphis and Temple can replace what SU brought to the league, then the conference as we knew it, is clearly long dead (which most of us already probably knew).
Pitino knows better, he was in the conference in the 1980's. I think he is selling the conference that he is in, it is natural and understandable. He couldn't possibly believe that Memphis and Temple fill the void left by the departure of SU, not to mention Pitt. Temple has a history of success and Memphis has had a few good years, but it would be like saying Florida is leaving the SEC in football and SU will be replacing them. SU has tradition and some cache, but they surely aren't the program Florida is.

For some reason Pitino seems to be taking it beyond support of the conference he is left with, and seems to have gotten digs in at SU all summer. And he didn't let up.

Seems like he was baiting JB with the Temple nonsense, the idea one would win 6 the other 4. How about SU would be heavy favorites every time they played. Does Pitino really think the line will be close to even in NY? I doubt it.
You are right on that. That is a douchebag comment for sure. I think he was getting defensive at that point.

Pitino has a bigger issue with Syracuse than jb has with Pitino. The Fab Melo recruitment was a flashpoint. Pitino got played baaaaaaadly and is still pissed about it.

Pitino has a bigger issue with Syracuse than jb has with Pitino. The Fab Melo recruitment was a flashpoint. Pitino got played baaaaaaadly and is still pissed about it.
How did he get played? I understand if you can't get into specifics, but I would love to hear the story.

LOL! Rick introduced JB to his wife. Julie and Rick's wife were/are good friends. Rick gets caught ganging chicks on restaurant tables. JB needs to distance himself from Rick for obvious reasons. Married Life 101!!

Pitino knows better, he was in the conference in the 1980's. I think he is selling the conference that he is in, it is natural and understandable. He couldn't possibly believe that Memphis and Temple fill the void left by the departure of SU, not to mention Pitt. Temple has a history of success and Memphis has had a few good years, but it would be like saying Florida is leaving the SEC in football and SU will be replacing them. SU has tradition and some cache, but they surely aren't the program Florida is.

It has been awhile since Temple was Temple. Memphis has feasted on a CUSA schedule. Also will adding those two will soften the blow, you cannot forget that the BE is also adding UCF, Houston, and SMU. If I were Pitino and saw this as my conference schedule I would be cranky too. Have fun selling that to fans and recruits.

Memphis
Temple
Cincinnati
Georgetown
Marquette
USF
Connecticut
St. John's
Rutgers
Villanova
DePaul
Seton Hall
Providence
Houston
UCF
SMU

I love it. Boeheim is totally right. When you say their relationship has soured is that from the we take a vacation together each year in the mid 90's relationship or that you have heard they generally aren't close at all anymore?

Someone was posting about it last year and people said it was crazy talk...Boeheim and Pitino were great friends. I don't really know anything about their relationship status. Neither have facebooked about it lately.. :)

Their handshake last year was icy cold...