Boeheim responds | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim responds

JB's no dummy and he most certainly knew that Katz was going to be present for this game along with the post. In my opinion, there's nothing that just 'slipped out' of JB's mouth that he hadn't planned on saying to him publically for some time...last night presented him with the perfect opportunity. IMO, good for JB, and for sticking to his guns...

Well Andy, it looks like you played your cards. You hoped to get a certain result but didn't. Now your douche move has made it impossible to ever interview this HOF coach again. Was it worth it?

Good for JB! Katz and ESPN were on a witch hunt trying to bring the program down.

Yep, it appears, since JB emphasized how Katz never took the cameras off him, that he was waiting for JB to pull a similar sensational moment...kudos to JB for maintaining such composure at the brunt of the firestorm that was ensuing.

Katz basically admitted what JB accused him of was legit. I call BS on Katz saying you ask questions when you know the person won't answer. In Katz industry he depends on sources giving him information and it is imperative for him to maintain good relations with coaches to get access for his articles and fill air time for his shows. Katz is one of the better reporters for college basketball and he burned JB badly. The story is over now and I believe JB's side if Katz asked the queestion 1 time maybe he would have let it go, but to continue pressing the issue makes Katz "Fredo" in JB's mind.

sorry to offend but JB doesn't have the right to pick and choose who covers him exclusively in the media.

True, but if some reporter gave him his word that he would NOT ask questions on air about something and then does, JB, or anyone else, has the right to react accordingly. Not saying calling Katz an idiot was right, but Katz clearly deserves JB's ire. That was bush league. I have never known JB to lie about anything, and if he says that Katz promised not to ask those questions, I believe JB. Katz was probably told by his ESPN bosses to bait JB however he could. Remember, they had a stake in that story. A very big one.

I would like to hear Jeff Van Gundy or Doris Burke address it.

The thing that makes me think Katz is full of crap: he says he makes no deals with anyone and then, in the same answer, says that the reason he asked it is because guys like JB, Calhoun, etc, always say they don't want to talk about something and then do when prodded. That tells me that JB DID in fact tell Katz it was off limits and then Katz decided to try and bait him in front of the camera on purpose.

F Katz.

Imagine if Katz had tried the same thing with Bobby Knight, JT II, or John Chaney?

He wouldn't have had the balls to even dare with that group.

So just drove home listening to Gary Parrish's local show here in Memphis. Earlier in the day, before he knew all the facts, he was blasting Boeheim. Now, he says that Katz really is an idiot if he thought anything different was going to happen that what transpired.

So just drove home listening to Gary Parrish's local show here in Memphis. Earlier in the day, before he knew all the facts, he was blasting Boeheim. Now, he says that Katz really is an idiot if he thought anything different was going to happen that what transpired.
That's why I hate when analysts and fans jump to conclusions without knowing all the facts.

So if the cameras were never taken off him..just show the video and let us see what happened.

I don't get your logic. JB isn't picking who covers him, he's simply decided to never talk to Andy Katz again. Are you saying he doesn't have the right to not speak to someone?

sorry to offend but JB doesn't have the right to pick and choose who covers him exclusively in the media.

So if the cameras were never taken off him..just show the video and let us see what happened.
what's the use? There is no dispute about anything that would have been on camera. Boeheim says Katz asked the question too many times and Katz admitted he asked it repeatedly. Where the accounts differ is whether Katz agreed beforehand that Fine questions were off limits and whether or not one or two others in the room left disgusted. Those things would not be shown in any video.

Katz said he did repeat the question about Fine five or six times during the interview.

"The reason I did that is because with guys like Jim Boeheim, John Calipari, Jim Calhoun they'll, say there's a certain subject they don't want to talk about and then they'll talk about it," Katz said. "If I asked it one too many times, fine, criticize me. I was just trying to see if he'd answer the question."

Or 5-6 too many times?

This seals it. No one should read anything else on the subject.

JB wins. Again.

Katz may now find interviews with any of the coaches very difficult in the future. ESPN also may find their access to coaches being curtailed, coaches have a habit of sticking together, and they will consider that Katz works for them.

Katz may now find interviews with any of the coaches very difficult in the future. ESPN also may find their access to coaches being curtailed, coaches have a habit of sticking together, and they will consider that Katz works for them.
right . . . especially given that Boeheim is one of the most popular guys in the profession among his peers. His best friend in the business is Coach K. Sometime next year, K and JB are going to face off in a historic meeting with about 1900 combined wins . . . and Katz won't get the call to cover the biggest regular season game of the year because neither coach will talk to him.

The key is that JB couldn't talk about the Fine investigation. it's not that he didn't want to. He couldn't. There was no point in Katz badgering him about it on camera.

The key is that JB couldn't talk about the Fine investigation. it's not that he didn't want to. He couldn't. There was no point in Katz badgering him about it on camera.

Good point. Jim could never bring himself to talk about it, nor should he be asked to. He is above all an honorable man, and a loyal friend. Mr. Katz is clearly neither of the two.

Actually he does. He can talk to whoever he wants, and he can not talk to whoever he wants.

I keep seeing people say there was a deal to not ask questions... Even Katz alluded to it. But in the poliquin article, JB never says anything about a deal. He says he told Katz he can't answer the fine question. JB probably knew the question would be asked so he was warning Katz about his no comment response. Then Katz badgered him with the question despite the no comment warning. JB felt like it was an attack, hence his "disloyal" comment.

True, but if some reporter gave him his word that he would NOT ask questions on air about something and then does, JB, or anyone else, has the right to react accordingly. Not saying calling Katz an idiot was right, but Katz clearly deserves JB's ire. That was bush league. I have never known JB to lie about anything, and if he says that Katz promised not to ask those questions, I believe JB. Katz was probably told by his ESPN bosses to bait JB however he could. Remember, they had a stake in that story. A very big one.

I would like to hear Jeff Van Gundy or Doris Burke address it.

The thing that makes me think Katz is full of crap: he says he makes no deals with anyone and then, in the same answer, says that the reason he asked it is because guys like JB, Calhoun, etc, always say they don't want to talk about something and then do when prodded. That tells me that JB DID in fact tell Katz it was off limits and then Katz decided to try and bait him in front of the camera on purpose.

F Katz.

At least publicly (in the PS article) JB admits to regretting using the term 'idiot'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom