Boeheim says the ACC Tournament should be in big cities | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim says the ACC Tournament should be in big cities

shandeezy7

Living Legend
NYC, DC, Atlanta. And, of course, he's right. Having your marquee conference event in Greensboro, NC just screams small time.

Not that any of this matters to our success, because we couldn't win an ACC tournament game unless it was in the Dome at this point.

NYC, DC, Atlanta. And, of course, he's right. Having your marquee conference event in Greensboro, NC just screams small time.

Not that any of this matters to our success, because we couldn't win an ACC tournament game unless it was in the Dome at this point.
Saw that too. Should be played in big cities. "There's no value in playing in Greensboro. None." I can appreciate that.

4 of the conference teams are in NC and 2 others are close by. So playing in NC makes sense for the conference. Not exclusively but on a rotation. DC is a great location because it's relatively decent distance from many of the schools. The last ACC tourney in Atlanta was not well attended. Atlanta is SEC country. The ACC gave SU a gift with these back-to-back tourneys in NYC (even though it's Barclays and not MSG). They were counting on SU fans to attend. We blew it by losing in the first round. Will be interesting to see the attendance for rest of tourney but IMO it will be very disappointing and may lead the ACC to avoid NYC in the future. I'm sure the NC schools will not be happy with JB's remarks leaving out NC as a good site for the tourney.

4 of the conference teams are in NC and 2 others are close by. So playing in NC makes sense for the conference. Not exclusively but on a rotation. DC is a great location because it's relatively decent distance from many of the schools. The last ACC tourney in Atlanta was not well attended. Atlanta is SEC country. The ACC gave SU a gift with these back-to-back tourneys in NYC (even though it's Barclays and not MSG). They were counting on SU fans to attend. We blew it by losing in the first round. Will be interesting to see the attendance for rest of tourney but IMO it will be very disappointing and may lead the ACC to avoid NYC in the future. I'm sure the NC schools will not be happy with JB's remarks leaving out NC as a good site for the tourney.

At least put it in Charlotte if it's going to be in NC though. Charlotte's arena is right in the city with plenty of bars and restaurants near the arena, and the hotel situation can easily handle the tournament.

He's correct. That's why other conferences have moved their tournaments to LA or Vegas in recent years. If anything, move the tournament to Charlotte which itself has become a premiere city in the South and is a major banking hub.

Has to be in Miami/Atlanta/NYC

North Carolina, it's squandering major money/success to be had.

I'd even throwout Atlanta because it's major SEC territory, but then again it's Atlanta.

Charlotte and Raleigh aren't in the same convo as those three cities. We don't have a team in Maryland, I don't like the idea of DC.

It's never going to Miami. The school itself has no fans and it's drivable for no one. And their airport is a 3rd world hellhole.

NC needs to figure out their politics to get Charlotte back in the mix.

Has to be in Miami/Atlanta/NYC

North Carolina, it's squandering major money/success to be had.

I'd even throwout Atlanta because it's major SEC territory, but then again it's Atlanta.

Charlotte and Raleigh aren't in the same convo as those three cities. We don't have a team in Maryland, I don't like the idea of DC.

?

The ACC has two teams in Virginia and DC is 4 hours from the NC schools and Pittsburg by car, as well as having a massive well educated alumni base of the core schools including us and ND.

.@AdamZagoria @ACCSports We kindly disagree. But I guess you can lose in the 1st round anywhere. At least it's a quick ride home.

ZZZZiiiinnnnngggg.

Last edited:
I am in Canada, so for the ACC tournament to be a draw to me it would have also to be a place where I can do some spring golf. So I am fine with larger southern centres getting it. But what works for me works a lot less for others.

Oof.

Greensboro: 1
Boeheim: 0

I agree with the guy, but now's not really the time to make that statement. Though I give him credit - it's better than listening to coach-speak.

Oof.

I agree with the guy, but now's not really the time to make that statement. Though I give him credit - it's better than listening to coach-speak.
It's not the time when the tournament is going on? He has said this multiple times before. It's not like sour grapes or something after a loss.

I actually felt like there wasn't that many Cuse fans at Barclay. I know it is a Noon tip on Wednesday but place was empty. It wasn't close to rocking like the BE days.

Oof.

He was asked a question about it and the quote was taken out of context. He gives thorough reasoning for moving it to NYC, DC and ATL. Greensboro should not be a viable host city in 2017.

remember also we're still rather new to the ACC family. you don't just show up at easter and say "ham sucks roast beef is so much tastier" even if it is the truth. they gave us 2 new york games. zip it already.

I actually felt like there wasn't that many Cuse fans at Barclay. I know it is a Noon tip on Wednesday but place was empty. It wasn't close to rocking like the BE days.

We're at work. If this were a night game, it would have been packed. I like getting paid more than I like SU basketball. If this were the national championship, I'd take off.

Meh Greensboro serves UNC and Duke.
Atleast Charlotte has stuff to do.
Charlotte should be the NC spot.
Greensboro is a small town venue but it's going to remain in rotation.

We're at work. If this were a night game, it would have been packed. I like getting paid more than I like SU basketball. If this were the national championship, I'd take off.
I work as well but asked for a couple hours to see it. Back in the Big East days it was packed all the time...didn't matter the time.

NC needs to figure out their politics to get Charlotte back in the mix.

Maybe they have and residents are hoping the ACC figures theirs out? This sort of thing would be more interesting if it were applied more evenly with issues. Anyhow, on occasion I like to point out there are other ways to look at things, both procedural and substantive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom