Boeheim says "tremendous changes" this offseason. | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim says "tremendous changes" this offseason.

Yep. I obviously said that about TR needing to bulk up but 6'7" is pretty small to play as a 4.

No doubt. But he's a good enough rebounder [zero question about that]. The question marks are about his ability to do better defensively, can he box out, can he improve his low post offense, can he improve his outside shot.

I think he can do all of those things. I see him as George Lynch from UNC. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see him average 14 and 8 as a senior. BUT he needs to add 20 pounds--no question.

Would rather not post it, but if I were to place a bet on it, it would be for him coming back.

EDIT: Sorry I quoted your wrong post, meant to quote the post that you replied to me with.
From SWCs recent post on the JB Show, he quotes JB:

“Taco Tim” asked about next year. JB: “We’ve got two veteran guards, Mike and Trevor coming back. The young guys got a lot of playing time and will improve. Chris and DaJuan will be back and that will be a big thing. Then there’s the four freshmen…”

For whatever thats worth

If you believe for one minute that either of those freshman are capable of taking over Cooney's position in all respects you have got super glow orange glasses.

I'm just saying G's contributions/production defensively/offensively far outweigh Cooney's. Losing Cooney, we can feasibly come back from. G I don't think we can.

I think Kaleb and Roberson are making big jumps next year.

TBH though, I said the same about Rak after his freshman year. Better late than never I guess.

I have no idea about this so I will ask. Isn't there a couple of scholarships given to walk-ons who are seniors? If so, they still have enough so the 3 schollie sanction doesn't hurt that badly, no?

I have no idea about this so I will ask. Isn't there a couple of scholarships given to walk-ons who are seniors? If so, they still have enough so the 3 schollie sanction doesn't hurt that badly, no?
Sometimes but not this year, we kind of self policed our scholarships this year. But we have only 10 scholarship players this year. That includes Coleman and McCullough so we've goen most of the year with 8. 10 is manageable if they are 10 that can play. Can't afford projects.

I see a transfer or two and an early entry or two.

Hopefully, 'tremendous change' doesn't imply any resulting changes because of further punishment. I also assume that doesn't mean 'retirement'. JB would never go out like this. Willingly.

Hopefully tremendous change means he is retiring . Enough is enough.

No doubt. But he's a good enough rebounder [zero question about that]. The question marks are about his ability to do better defensively, can he box out, can he improve his low post offense, can he improve his outside shot.

I think he can do all of those things. I see him as George Lynch from UNC. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see him average 14 and 8 as a senior. BUT he needs to add 20 pounds--no question.
My guess is more like 25-30 pounds to have a decent chance against the big-boys. But undersized as he is, Tyler's going to be our starting 4 next year, at least until CM returns. Diagne may get some minutes and could help.

Before the sanctions, I would have predicted that CM would take over the starting 4 role once healthy. But with the lack of scholarships and TB possibly not coming, CM will have to slide over to center to help there. That's not ideal .. since CM's size is much more desirable for the 4 than Tyler's. But it is what it is .. Tyler's excellent for his size and build and I'll support him either way.

My guess is more like 25-30 pounds to have a decent chance against the big-boys. But undersized as he is, Tyler's going to be our starting 4 next year, at least until CM returns. Diagne may get some minutes and could help.

Before the sanctions, I would have predicted that CM would take over the starting 4 role once healthy. But with the lack of scholarships and TB possibly not coming, CM will have to slide over to center to help there. That's not ideal .. since CM's size is much more desirable for the 4 than Tyler's. But it is what it is .. Tyler's excellent for his size and build and I'll support him either way.
I'd wager that Tyler puts on 15+ lbs. of muscle by October.

If he could play better D he might not have had to transfer just because Tony Scott showed up...and Stevie moved to guard
Stevie I believed moved to guard as a consequence of Matt transferring...He had his moments but he was rough at PG...

i think stevie was the poster child of playing out of position. and he moved to guard mainly because of billy owens.

reedny said:
My guess is more like 25-30 pounds to have a decent chance against the big-boys. But undersized as he is, Tyler's going to be our starting 4 next year, at least until CM returns. Diagne may get some minutes and could help. Before the sanctions, I would have predicted that CM would take over the starting 4 role once healthy. But with the lack of scholarships and TB possibly not coming, CM will have to slide over to center to help there. That's not ideal .. since CM's size is much more desirable for the 4 than Tyler's. But it is what it is .. Tyler's excellent for his size and build and I'll support him either way.

Without Bryant I imagine Diange is going to get the majority of the minutes at the 5. If he doesn't learn the defense or us in effective I think CM will end up being out starting center.

Without Bryant I imagine Diange is going to get the majority of the minutes at the 5. If he doesn't learn the defense or us in effective I think CM will end up being out starting center.
Possible, since Diagne's 250+ ...but at 6'8, clearly the center position is a stretch. First of all, there's a steep learning curve for the position. Second, 6'8 is just not tall enough ... CM's the better fit as a backup to DC2/Chino. In fact, if Diagne can get out on shooters and pinch in to help when the center has to move up (to stop a penetrator), then I like his size at the 4... Regardless, we're going to have at least 3 front line players (DC2, CM and Diagne) with good size to rotate in there. Chino can also help in the middle. So I don't think we're depleted as we were this year. And unless we're playing a power team, Tyler can certainly help us in there at the 4. I would still love having TB. But I know the scholarship sanction is going to make it difficult or impossible to bring him in unless the Ayatollahs at the NCAA's trim back on the sanctions on appeal.

Last edited: