Boeheim, SU Agree On Contract Extension (through 2021-22?) | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim, SU Agree On Contract Extension (through 2021-22?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt

SYRACUSE, N.Y. – Hall of Fame coach Jim Boeheim and his alma mater, Syracuse University, have agreed on a new contract that will lengthen his successful head-coaching tenure beyond the 2017-18 season.

The extension of the veteran coach's contract came about as head-coach-in-waiting Mike Hopkins was hired to lead the program at Washington. Syracuse moved promptly to maintain stability in its program by negotiating the new deal with Boeheim, who had planned to step down following the conclusion of the next season.

"Mike accepting the position at Washington has put us in a unique position," said John Wildhack, Syracuse Director of Athletics. "The circumstances are different now than they were when he was named head-coach-in-waiting.

"After discussing it with Chancellor Syverud, we believe the best decision for the student-athletes currently in the program and those who are committed to attending the University is to extend Coach Boeheim's contract. Jim has enthusiastically agreed.

"Mike received a great opportunity and we thank him and wish him the best," said Boeheim. "I'm happy to stay on to help the program and to continue the staff's devotion to success."

"The Syracuse basketball program was built on the concept of family and that remains intact with Coach Boeheim agreeing to this contract extension," said John Wildhack. "Having experienced assistant coaches like Adrian Autry and Gerry McNamara on the staff helps us maintain the elite standing the program has earned."

Autry and McNamara, both standout performers at Syracuse, have been assistant coaches under Boeheim since the 2011-12 campaign.

"I have no doubt this remarkable run of college basketball success at Syracuse under Coach Boeheim is positioned to continue," said Wildhack.

In addition, the University has announced the promotion of Autry to the position of associate head coach.

No coach older than 72 has won a NCAA tournament game.

5noHKsb.jpg

Appreciate everything JB's done for this program, it's invaluable and to an extent unprecedented. That being said, I can't help but feel a bit disappointed. He better hit the recruiting trail. I pray for his health.

SYRACUSE, N.Y. – Hall of Fame coach Jim Boeheim and his alma mater, Syracuse University, have agreed on a new contract that will lengthen his successful head-coaching tenure beyond the 2017-18 season.

The extension of the veteran coach's contract came about as head-coach-in-waiting Mike Hopkins was hired to lead the program at Washington. Syracuse moved promptly to maintain stability in its program by negotiating the new deal with Boeheim, who had planned to step down following the conclusion of the next season.

"Mike accepting the position at Washington has put us in a unique position," said John Wildhack, Syracuse Director of Athletics. "The circumstances are different now than they were when he was named head-coach-in-waiting.

"After discussing it with Chancellor Syverud, we believe the best decision for the student-athletes currently in the program and those who are committed to attending the University is to extend Coach Boeheim's contract. Jim has enthusiastically agreed.

"Mike received a great opportunity and we thank him and wish him the best," said Boeheim. "I'm happy to stay on to help the program and to continue the staff's devotion to success."

"The Syracuse basketball program was built on the concept of family and that remains intact with Coach Boeheim agreeing to this contract extension," said John Wildhack. "Having experienced assistant coaches like Adrian Autry and Gerry McNamara on the staff helps us maintain the elite standing the program has earned."

Autry and McNamara, both standout performers at Syracuse, have been assistant coaches under Boeheim since the 2011-12 campaign.

"I have no doubt this remarkable run of college basketball success at Syracuse under Coach Boeheim is positioned to continue," said Wildhack.

In addition, the University has announced the promotion of Autry to the position of associate head coach.
Well played Jim, well played!Popcorn and soda

Yep, the obvious thing. This is a charade though but not necessarily in a bad way.
Pathetic progression and certainly expected but at least we are doing damage control and stabilizing the boat for recruiting

That puts all the rumors and speculation to bed.

Now he needs to go hire a dynamic recruiter to fill the assistant vacancy. Lots of work to do for the 2018 class.

Basically, JB will be here for another 5 years. He will coach Buddy until he graduates and they will go out together.

With this it is encouraging. If Boheim is healthy and happy he can coach another ten years hopefully this will be the case until we can find the right situation for someone to take his place. Still upset about Hopkins leaving but can't blame him

Probably best for the program for the next couple of years. Maybe now groom Autry for the position. Get through the sanctions, get back on our feet. At 73 I doubt we are looking at much more that an extra year or two. It is what it is for now. I am fine with it. I would have been fine with a switch also, but I think this way IS the best way given all of the factors. AND absolutely NO WAY did JB plan it out this way. I don't think he would ever do that to Hop...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom